CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

500 CLK AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 500 AMG coupe
500 CLK AMG

I would like to know how many 500 CLK AMG coupes were built in 2005.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
There is no such thing. It was a CLK55.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
IIRC there was ~380 CLK55 AMG coupes brought to USA in 2005. Not sure how many convertibles
Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM

2005 CLK 500 AMG coupe
Originally Posted by Glenn Pratt
I would like to know how many 500 CLK AMG coupes were built in 2005.
Your reply to my question of how many CLK 500 AMG coupes were made was, None. Am I correct? I am driving a 2005 500 CLK with AMG all over the thing. The thing handles better than most cars I have owned,and it is absolutely a rocket. Fun to drive.

I have some interesting facts that came up Decoding the VIN,It is a 954 option car, which is equipment for an Avant Garde AMG car. It was built with special side AMG skirts,mesh grille, AMG wheels,AMG badges in black. It did not have AMG brakes,and has a single overhead cam 5 liter engine with 7 speed transmission. The color resembles Pewter but is called " Cubenite".

I was told when I bought the car that there are very few of these cars around. This happens to be one of the nicest CLK's I've seen. The mechanic said that he had to decode every part he put into this car to make sure it was the proper part for this model. He stressed that this is an important thing to do when buying parts from here on.

Anyway,hope you all have a great day. I still do not know the number of these cars that were built.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The CLK500 included some AMG accessories like wheels and exhaust tips, but it not an "AMG" model. It was never adorned with an "AMG" badge a the factory.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:14 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The CLK500 included some AMG accessories like wheels and exhaust tips, but it not an "AMG" model. It was never adorned with an "AMG" badge a the factory.
This almost certainly has to be the case- the previous owner just threw on an AMG badge to supplement the existing AMG accessories from the factory (maybe he added more AMG accessories, who knows). Here are the CLK models that were available in 2005: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/merc...ecs/sd-AAbLoTR

To confirm the foregoing, you can enter your VIN on a decoder and see how your car was configured new. VIN decoder: https://www.datamb.com/

Last edited by nkx1; 05-18-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Your reply to my question of how many CLK 500 AMG coupes were made was, None. Am I correct? I am driving a 2005 500 CLK with AMG all over the thing. The thing handles better than most cars I have owned,and it is absolutely a rocket. Fun to drive.

I have some interesting facts that came up Decoding the VIN,It is a 954 option car, which is equipment for an Avant Garde AMG car. It was built with special side AMG skirts,mesh grille, AMG wheels,AMG badges in black. It did not have AMG brakes,and has a single overhead cam 5 liter engine with 7 speed transmission. The color resembles Pewter but is called " Cubenite".

I was told when I bought the car that there are very few of these cars around. This happens to be one of the nicest CLK's I've seen. The mechanic said that he had to decode every part he put into this car to make sure it was the proper part for this model. He stressed that this is an important thing to do when buying parts from here on.

Anyway,hope you all have a great day. I still do not know the number of these cars that were built.
Basically it was a previous owner posing as if they had a CLK55. It is a CLK500. It has the optional AMG appearance package and that is really it. I am sure it is a very nice car.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 AM

2005 CLK 500 AMG coupe
Perhaps you are not reading what I found decoding the VIN. They call it an Avant Garde AMG 954 Option car. I suggest you dig a little deeper before making an all out assumption about my car.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Perhaps you are not reading what I found decoding the VIN. They call it an Avant Garde AMG 954 Option car. I suggest you dig a little deeper before making an all out assumption about my car.
Avant Grade is a term used to describe the trim level on a MB. Not used in the USA. Here we have just sport package (meaning AMG Appearance package) or Luxury. There is nothing AMG about a CLK500 of any other then a couple cosmetic parts like side skirts, wheels, ect. The single overhead cam 5.0 V8 is the standard MB engine used in the CLK, CL, S Class, ML. Not a AMG engine at all as well as the transmission. As far as the production numbers it is hard to tell or even find information other then how many CLK's non AMG were sold in that year.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:18 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, code 954 is the "AMG Sport Appearance Package". All USA-model CLK550/550 cars came with it standard. Other countries may have been optioned differently. I know it's confusing, but there is a big difference between an "AMG model" and the "AMG Sport Appearance Package". Actual AMG cars have unique engines that are built by "one man" in a special AMG engine factory. They generally have special AMG-specific suspension components and transmissions. Cars with the "AMG Sport Appearance Package" will have some cosmetic pieces with a a sportier styling, such as front bumpers, side skirts, rear bumpers, AMG-styled rims and exhaust tips. While these styling elements certainly make the car look sportier, it does not make it an "AMG" car since it does not have the engines, suspension or transmission (and originally cost $20K less). Only true AMG cars get the "//AMG" trunk badge. Some owners buy "//AMG" badges and stick them on. I have even heard of some dealers doing that on new cars, but they aren't supposed to.

So, back to your question about how many CLK500's were built...I can't find actual production numbers, but based on worldwide sales figures, they built about 350,000 W209s over a 7-year run. The V8 engines were most popular in the USA, but still, only about 1 in 4 CLK's sold here was a V8. My guess is total W209 CLK500/550 production would be somewhere less than 70K
The following users liked this post:
C280 Sport (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:11 PM

2005 CLK 500 AMG coupe
CLK 500

Thanks for your input. I certainly did not wnat to imply that this car is anything exotic, I like the fact that it isn't to be truthful. This is a car that I have been told that just about anyone can work on in most cases. The twin overhaedcam engines are not friendly,and it goes on and on. The AMG appointments given this car do enhance the looks,and the V8 that it has is more than enough for street use.

I appreciate your time on this. It has been very helpful to me to help sort out what this car is.

Many thanks,
Glenn