CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK550 2007

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 2007 CLK 550
CLK550 2007

If you guys could help me find good mods for my 2007 clk550 amg

Im looking to get an exhaust and more things done to my car, I just need to find the best parts and what to do first
Old 05-21-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
For exhaust you will need it to get it made . There is no one that makes a bolt on kit . Are you looking to do a quad exhaust ?
Old 05-21-2019, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Feel free to ask me about anything in my signature. You stated clk550 amg; I assume you have a clk550 and not a 55.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Mercedes 2007 CLK 550
Im down to do a quad exhaust I just need to find a good one first If you could help me
Old 05-21-2019, 07:15 PM

Mercedes 2007 CLK 550
Originally Posted by Fatz
Feel free to ask me about anything in my signature. You stated clk550 amg; I assume you have a clk550 and not a 55.
Yes Its a 550, thank you also for everything!
Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did a lot of searching for a quad before settling on my quad true dual setup. Following are some suggestions if you go this route.
1. Use 2.25" pipe (you can use 2.5" if you want a more toward a muscle/rumble note - 2.25 or 2" would give a higher pitch/exotic note)
- 2" or 2.25" will permit better routing on the passenger side (getting around the rear axle and differential)
- 2.5" is not needed unless you plan to use forced induction
- Use mandrel bends (either done by the shop or by buying individual pieces)
- 2" is enough to handle the volume of air from the 5.5 liter engine - 2.25" is assurance - >2.25" is overkill
3. Use stainless steel
4. Have pieces butt welded
5. You can use a dual in dual out small muffler (12"-14" length) - position near end of channel
6. You can use bottle resonators pre muffler or at the end of the pipe just before the tips
- placed at the end of then pipes will help reduce reflected exhaust sounds (due to fast exh gases hitting relatively still air)
7. Use a crossover/X pipe as close to the engine as feasible - not needed if crossover in muffler
8. Use a Vibrant clamp between the primary (front) and secondary pipes as they merge at the channel (permits dropping exh form other maint)
- this spring type clamp also allows the pipe to extend under load and operating temp
- extends about 1/8" - some keep in mind when tips installed so they are not too long beyond rear diffuser.
9. Use at least 3 rubber insert hangers on each pipe between their exit from the channel and their end.

good luck and PM me if you wish....
Old 05-22-2019, 12:59 PM

2004 CLK 500
Hey Fats , Great information . Do you have pics of your install ? If you have a sound or video clip I would appreciate if you add it . I currently have the secondary cats , resonator and muffler removed in a true dual exhaust 2.5" . I am trying to just get ride of the drone around 1900 rpm and want it to sound raspy with the pop sound . any idea what I will need to achieve this ? I like it loud but just hate the drone .
Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
Originally Posted by mason_db
If you guys could help me find good mods for my 2007 clk550 amg

Im looking to get an exhaust and more things done to my car, I just need to find the best parts and what to do first
I’m selling all the body parts from my 07 CLK550 which are modified/wider top quality OEM CLK63 parts and VIS carbon fiber hood if you’re interested, check out my build thread in my signature. I would also part with the Renntech quad exhaust since it fits the rear bumper cutouts. PM me
Old 05-22-2019, 02:30 PM

2004 CLK 500
do you have pics of the hood and exhaust ?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here again is probably more info than you want;
1. True dual exhausts are particularly difficult to eliminate drone from because
- the two pipe lines are resonating independently at near the same frequencies w/o either canceling resonant frequencies in the other
- an X-pipe really doesn't help much
2. The drone that is so annoying is actually frequencies between 125 and 134 hertz that is being delivered at a rate (beat) of about 16 hertz
3. You could use a resonator for each pipe and it will need to be as close to the engine as feasible
- the results will depend on the tune of the resonator (generally not published) and the length and routing of the pipes
- I'm sure there is some math to get close to what is needed in a given exhaust but it is beyond me, making this a trail and err exercise
4. You could use 2 Helmholtz resonators. Each would be tuned to a particular frequency. Essentially they terminate at the 1/4 wavelength of targeted frequency
5. The device I have worked on for 4+ years will eliminate cruise drone.... it sits between the pipes and not in the exhaust flow
- I am not yet in production but will take a few early adopters depending on there location and application.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:20 PM

2004 CLK 500
I have seen where people would do like 20" pipe coming off the exhaust and cap it . Do you think this will work ? Like i said currently I don't have anything on my car . I got rid of the secondary cats , resonator and muffler . I had ordered X pipe and 2 cherry bomb 24" straight glass packs . will those work for work like the Helmholtz resonators ? And what can do to get more exhaust burble or pop ?
Old 05-24-2019, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by irokdastar
I have seen where people would do like 20" pipe coming off the exhaust and cap it . Do you think this will work ? Like i said currently I don't have anything on my car . I got rid of the secondary cats , resonator and muffler . I had ordered X pipe and 2 cherry bomb 24" straight glass packs . will those work for work like the Helmholtz resonators ? And what can do to get more exhaust burble or pop ?
They length of pipe capped is essentially a Helmholtz resonator. Then length is approximately 1/4 wavelength of the targeted drone frequency. When that frequency hits the cap it is reflected back into the exhaust stream. It is out of phase with the originating frequency causing what is called "destructive" interference, meaning that it reduces the sound at that frequency. It should work.

The X-pipe will have little to no effect toward reducing the drone. Using resonators can be effective, depending on what their resonant frequency is. This is generally not published. So it is a hit or miss type of a effort. In any case, the placement of the resonators (glasspacks) will affect the results. If the drone seems to be from everywhere (like all around you and at your butt) it is best to place them before or at the head of the center channel; if the droning seems to come more from the rear of the car, placing the resonators between the tips and the first bend in the pipe, as close to the bend as feasible, might be more effective.

Burble may come with the use of the glasspacks. POPs are generally the result of fuel over run in the exhaust that ignites in the pipes. This is mostly a function of the tuning and the speed of exhaust flow through the pipes. Reduced turbulence allows the unspent fuel to travel farther down the pipe before igniting. The farther the unspent fuel travels before igniting the louder the pop. Wrapping the pipes will keep the exhaust temperature higher and the higher temp exhaust will flow faster.