CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

AHHH!! What ever happened to the CE CLASS, One of the best classes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saying that every Mercedes drives like crap is a gross generalization. Ok, compared to a comparably equipped BMW or perhaps Audi, that's not too unfair a statement regarding agressive driving, but I find MB's tend to have much more comfortable rides (save for the C compared to the 3) and make for better long distance cars. I drive a 323i fairly regularly (16" wheels, sports package & upgraded w/ Bilsteins) and the CLK320 can hang with that car easy, even when the power differential is accounted for. Sure, it doesn't encourage the same type of aggressive driving, but it can handle that kind of driving easy.

I pretty much agree with samwz, except for his characterization of the way the E drives. I find that it drives nothing like the C (DISCLAIMER: my opinion only applies to the airmatic-equpped E compared to a non-sport C). I find the E to be an excellent tourer. The only problem with the car's handling is the same as with all MB's in that it tells you to give it up at 7/10's, but it has no problem with fun roads once you get past that premature warning point. I wouldn't want to drive the C on those same roads at anything but the speed limit. Of course, they've upgraded the C for '05, so hopefully it's a lot better now. No offense to the C-Class owners out there. If you're happy with your car, don't let my opinion affect your enjoyment.

As for the price difference between the C and the CLk only buying you panache and the pillarless look, well....isn't that the point of a coupe? I think the significant price difference also buys you a better ride and a nicer interior. Of course you have to factor the loss of about a half-second 0-60 time into the equasion. Is it worth it though? Perhaps, perhaps not. Long live choice.

Hopefully the CLS won't come in at $10-20K over a comparable E. I want to be able to afford an off-lease one in a couple years.

And while i'm not a big fan of the black wheels (not a big fan of wheels in general that aren't silver; don't even like chrome), that black CE is sweet....
Old 07-19-2004, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I just completed a 1500-mile roundtrip from Atlanta to Michigan and back. With the Sportline suspension, the car is a perfect highway cruiser