CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

320 Convertible straps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 320CLK Cab
320 Convertible straps

We had heavy rain & downpours here in NNJ. Wife called to say her back seat had a lot of water in it & she was worried.
It was the passenger seat, so tomorrow is clean, test, the passenger door and window seal and if all is well, give the car a good waxing and 303 waterproof the roof again.

Water was dripping in from the top near the window top at the plastic/fabric juncture. But I think the gasket is fine.
The window seems to be sealing fine when closed.
the roof had two very dark 12"(ish) "Wet" spots on it like water had soaked the area & through.
I pried away the inside fabric to reveal the metal frame. The only thing I saw was the black elastic straps are loose (I guess age) and probably should be replaced, though they seem to be screwed in via the top of the frame & getting at them might be a challenge

Anybody ever replace them?
Old 07-19-2019, 10:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Those straps are attached to the back of the "water bag" which is on the side of the rear window. If the water bag is torn or not pulling properly, it could leak like that. I replaced my entire canvas and dealing will those straps in that area is a real PITA.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 320CLK Cab
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Those straps are attached to the back of the "water bag" which is on the side of the rear window. If the water bag is torn or not pulling properly, it could leak like that. I replaced my entire canvas and dealing will those straps in that area is a real PITA.
Thanks for that warm reassurance. Youv'e made my day :O