CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

MAF Sensor P0173 and P0170

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350 Sedan
MAF Sensor P0173 and P0170

Got these codes (P0173 and P0170) yesterday with a CEL. I am not noticing any issues at idle or any issues at all for that matter. Autozone guy pulled the codes and said to try to clean MAF sensor first before replacing. New Bosch sensor at Autozone cost $120.00. A can of MAF Sensor Cleaner was $8.00.

My question is, is it worth trying to clean the sensor? Or should I just have it replaced?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Cleaning the sensor is a very easy thing to do. Actually it should be done at least once a year anyway IMO. Just remove the engine cover and you should be able to see the sensor inside the air intake housing. It appears as a glass-like device about the size of a small electronics resistor. You can jus spray the sensor through the intake screen. When cleaned it looks shinny. You will probably remove some grim from the screen when you do this also. You can use a microfiber rag to wipe it if you wish to keep some of the dirty cleaner out of the intake.The cleaner should have evaporated by the time you start the car. If there is some still in liquid form the engine may turn a few times more than usual before starting and there mat be some smoke from the tailpipe once started. This is ok. It and any grim it contains from the sensor or screen burns off pretty quickly. This will be more noticeable if the MAF housing and elbow seals are in good shape.

Hope you're able to avoid the expense of replacement. (BTW, I generally spray clean mine every other oil change as well as clean the air filter and filter housing.)
Old 11-16-2019, 02:54 PM

2014 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by Fatz
Cleaning the sensor is a very easy thing to do. Actually it should be done at least once a year anyway IMO. Just remove the engine cover and you should be able to see the sensor inside the air intake housing. It appears as a glass-like device about the size of a small electronics resistor. You can jus spray the sensor through the intake screen. When cleaned it looks shinny. You will probably remove some grim from the screen when you do this also. You can use a microfiber rag to wipe it if you wish to keep some of the dirty cleaner out of the intake.The cleaner should have evaporated by the time you start the car. If there is some still in liquid form the engine may turn a few times more than usual before starting and there mat be some smoke from the tailpipe once started. This is ok. It and any grim it contains from the sensor or screen burns off pretty quickly. This will be more noticeable if the MAF housing and elbow seals are in good shape.

Hope you're able to avoid the expense of replacement. (BTW, I generally spray clean mine every other oil change as well as clean the air filter and filter housing.)
Good prev maint advice Fatz. From the research I have done since it seems like trying to clean it after getting the codes usually will not correct the problem So, my plan is to purchase a new sensor and then follow your prev maint advice!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:44 AM

2014 E350 Sedan
MAF Sensor replaced. CEL cleared and hopefully it will not re-appear. Also, hoping gas mileage will get back to normal. I have been getting 27-28 mpg combined and with the bad sensor I've been getting closer to 25-26 mpg.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
Originally Posted by labguy
MAF Sensor replaced. CEL cleared and hopefully it will not re-appear. Also, hoping gas mileage will get back to normal. I have been getting 27-28 mpg combined and with the bad sensor I've been getting closer to 25-26 mpg.
hey, did the maf fix the issue for you ?
Old 07-31-2021, 08:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 320CLK Cab
Originally Posted by 08c230
hey, did the maf fix the issue for you ?
I had the P0170 several times over the courseof several months. Tried to clean the MAF, but the problem was returning more frequently. Since I couldn't understand why one bank would be running
lean or rich vs the other coming off one MAF, I took it to an ex MB dealer Indy. Re placed the MAF. So far, so good. He claimed using the spray will actually
degrade the sensor and make it worse. Do I believe that? No. But still scratching my head when i got a 170 and no 173.