CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How much should I pay for this labor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK350
How much should I pay for this labor?

Hi I was wondering how much I should pay for this amount of labor so I don't get screwed.. I've already purchased the parts and fluids btw so all I need is labor.. my CLK350 has 115,000 miles

​​​​​​-Lower controls arms front replacement
-serpantine belt
-trasmission fluid service (I bought the kit on FCP euro
-Shocks and struts for the front and rear
-Power steering fluid flushed out and replaced

I've been quoted anywhere from 1000 dollars to 1500 for the labor but I'm pretty sure that's way too much money for things that are this simple

Hope to hear your expert input!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Well.... if ya don't want to or dont have the tools/skills then ya pay for someone for the time and experience to not screw it up

$1k for a pro is reasonable... remember they typically make money on the parts and you not letting them do that...

That guy who charges %500 unless they are a friend then they may have experience on your model and have a learning curve at your expense...

Frankly I would have to charge a little more for my labor if you bring the parts...

It is a business after all...

best guess at $100 hr for labor...

lower control arms - 200 ------ may run into other issues when they get it apart...
belt - 50 ----------------------------- maybe more if the tensioner is frozen and you have to replace...
tranny service 150
struts 600 -------------------------- again, may have to source some bits and pieces when they get it apart....
ps fluid 100
Old 12-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLK 350
Originally Posted by zejj
Hi I was wondering how much I should pay for this amount of labor so I don't get screwed.. I've already purchased the parts and fluids btw so all I need is labor.. my CLK350 has 115,000 miles

​​​​​​-Lower controls arms front replacement
-serpantine belt
-trasmission fluid service (I bought the kit on FCP euro
-Shocks and struts for the front and rear
-Power steering fluid flushed out and replaced

I've been quoted anywhere from 1000 dollars to 1500 for the labor but I'm pretty sure that's way too much money for things that are this simple

Hope to hear your expert input!
Did my struts myself and considered the control arms but haven't tackled them yet. With little experience (have done simple shocks before), it took me four days (across two weekends) and about $250 in tools to accomplish, by the time I bought spring compressor, rented a heavy duty spring compressor, bought a strut nut socket and a replacement when the first one failed, etc. etc. And I scraped the hell out of the strut spring braces with the spring compressor... so to me, I should have spent the $1400 and had them replaced by a professional. But they are on... and I learned a lot.

Just my $.02
Old 02-09-2020, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLK 350 Cab
In my opinion and experience $1000 - $1500 is not unreasonable for your list. If they are qualified mechanics and warranty their work. This would take a day in the shop and require special equipment. Try the dealer . . . that would be closer to $2000.