CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

TPMS battery life and failure modes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 CLK350
TPMS battery life and failure modes

Reading today that the batteries in TPMS sensors are good for 7 to 12 years and about 100K miles.

Seems some have replaceable batteries, some don't because they are "potted" and you can't take the battery out. Of course, there's no way to tell without dismounting the tire, but whatever.

What are the indications that one or more of the TPMS sensor batteries could be about at the end of its useful life? I have three old ones from 2008, and one new one from 2017 (tire monkey at non-MB dealership broke it, they got to buy me a new one which I had installed someplace else). I have the metal stem TPMS sensors.

I do notice that I get the "adjust tire pressure" message occasionally on startup, but it disappears after a mile or so. Sometimes I get it on shutdown, but it is gone when I start the car again, either later or the next day.

I know that a "rebuild kit" consisting of a valve core and a couple of O rings is available, but that only cures or prevents leaks, and GOOD tire shops do this whenever they dismount/mount a tire. The chain stores tell you that you need complete new ones because they make a LOT more money on four new sensors than on a handful of O rings. The rebuild kit (more correctly, a re-SEAL kit) doesn't have a battery in it.)

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Best,

Mike/Florida