CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Latest CLK Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 BMW 750i, 2008 Toyota Prius
Latest CLK Problem

This one is a bit weird... I was scrolling through the radio stations with the steering wheel control and my car would honk everytime I pressed ANY of the steering wheel buttons. Needless to say, this annoys me and I'll be dropping it off for service on Monday. Having returned a lemon w203 that was serviced 39 times in 3 years, I would have thought that I had seen it all... but I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by freakinfreak; 07-31-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
sounds like a canbus problem. mixed signals somewhere. dealer should be able to find it.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by freakinfreak
This one is a bit weird... I was scrolling through the radio stations with the steering wheel control and my car would honk everytime I pressed ANY of the steering wheel buttons. Needless to say, this annoys me and I'll be dropping it off for service on Monday. Having returned a lemon w203 that was serviced 39 times in 3 years, I would have thought that I had seen it all... but I guess I was wrong.
Are you pressing the buttons or trying to make them pop out of the airbag.

There is a dual function in the buttons - if you press hard enough the horn will sound.

In any event, sounds like a small air-bag module adjustment.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by freakinfreak
I'll guess that the contact spiral in the steering wheel column has either become misaligned or has a metal shaving wedged in there somewhere. It could be a problem with the airbag button module, as well. Do you get illumination of the buttons when you turn on the headlamps?

I recently saw a 2004 Vito van with a similar problem, when the headlamp switch was turned on, the horn would honk (and continue to sound as long as the lightswitch was left on).

-s-
Old 07-31-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by miroj
Are you pressing the buttons or trying to make them pop out of the airbag.

There is a dual function in the buttons - if you press hard enough the horn will sound.

In any event, sounds like a small air-bag module adjustment.
I'm just pressing the buttons as a normally do.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:50 AM

2005 CLK 500 coupe
I had the same problem, the fix was

replace airbag assembly, my horn would also honk if I pressed the recirclate air button, and charcoal filter button...they had to replace the "acc panel"

The tech also said that the a/c wasn't working properly, because of the above problems..now it's icey cold...

Good luck...he said the above problems was a first that Mercedes has ever heard of....

2004 CLK 500 Coupe 6500 miles..
Old 08-06-2004, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by rjw0501
I had the same problem, the fix was

replace airbag assembly, my horn would also honk if I pressed the recirclate air button, and charcoal filter button...they had to replace the "acc panel"

The tech also said that the a/c wasn't working properly, because of the above problems..now it's icey cold...

Good luck...he said the above problems was a first that Mercedes has ever heard of....

2004 CLK 500 Coupe 6500 miles..
I dropped it off yesterday and my service advisor has seen a few CLKs with that problem recently. It's a goofy little problem.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:15 PM

2002 S500 & 2004 CLK320
HAHAHAH i had the same problem but mine was even worse,, it started of with just slighting pressing the buttons,, my horn would honk,, and then it got worse,, it would honk on its own while i was turning the corner,, very embarassing ,, when i would start my car in the mornings the car would just frickin honk like crazy,, it pissed me off man,, how many times i punched the steering wheel.... the worst was wehen im at a red liht and the car would start honking on its own,, people in fron tof me would get pissed off,,so u pretty much can imagine what i went threw. i took it in,, they chaged the airbag assembly,, took it from another car,,
why would MB design it that way,, How stupid is that,, cheap design,My BMW never has this problem,, The buttons on that steerring whell are not rubberthey are hard,,

anyhow that pissed me off,,
Old 09-23-2004, 05:26 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by hyepower
it started of with just slighting pressing the buttons...my horn would honk...and then it got worse...it would honk on its own while i was turning the corner...very embarassing...the worst was when im at a red light and the car would start honking on its own...people in front of me would get pissed off...i took it in, they chaged the airbag assembly
This is the exact scenario I am facing now with my 2004 SL500. It started with the horn honking when I would use the steering wheel controls, then it would honk every time I turned a corner, and then at the end, it would honk for no reason at all. I had no choice but to drop the car of at the dealer two days ago and was told it will take a week to get the parts. So I'll be without my car for another 5 days or so Such a pain in the ****. And yes, it was very embarrassing!