CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ready to sell it if we can't fix this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
ready to sell it if we can't fix this

I've been on a few times with a misfire that was specific to injector 4. Just to give a recap. Started misfiring on 4 about 6 months ago. Changed everything on that line the injector, the coil pack, the leads, the spark plug, the injector relay plug, and then also changed the MAF, all the vacuum tubes and the camshaft. Misfire remained. Was going to do a compression test on the cylinder then out of nowhere misfire disappeared. It returned again the next day so I never did the compression test with the assumption that if it was compression it would not of fixed itself like that and come back. I was leaning towards it being something electrical. We decided to change the injector itself again in case one of the o rings had a crack in it this past weekend. In the process of doing that we had a bit of difficulty getting injector 5 to sit in properly, it didn't feel right, was way too loose. Anyway , turned engine on and misfire now on 4 and 5 and code p0205. Sure enough there was gas leaking. So took it apart again and yes the o ring on 5 was the issue so replace the o rings and no more leak. But now it's worse then ever and still showing misfire on 4, misfire on 5 and p0205 injector open. Literally ready to set a match to it.

What's left is the following but I'm reluctant to put too much more money into it:

Gasket seal which I think it unlikely gone on both sides?
ECM which I'm not even sure if that's something I can change myself and then does it need complete reprogramming from a mechanic?
O2 sensors which at this stage I'm doubting the sensor can cause such a long standing problem that for 6 months was specific to just number 4
Fuel filter, again would this of not affected more then injector 4 the pass 6 months?

Anyone got anything?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Do a compression test on Cyl 4 and the one on the opposite side . This should of been done a long time ago before you threw parts into it . If the compression test comes back good then its electrical . Chase down Cyl 4 and on the opposite side wires and make sure its not grounding anywhere . Check the plug itself and make sure the leads are not rusted and your getting the proper voltage . at the plug . Check the resistance as well . If all else fails its probably the ECM , Not sure if you need to code it to your car or if you can just swap it .
Old 05-22-2020, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
But surely if the cylinder compression was gone it wouldn't of bounced back out of nowhere on it's own?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:48 PM

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 E450 AT, 1996 S420, (sold) 2004 CLK320 Convertible (v8, 6 speed)
ECU (ECM) does require coding and usually expensive, but I can help you with it for free.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
With all the money in parts you've thrown at it, you could have already paid for a professional diagnosis. At this point, the internet is not going to fix it for you. The decision you need to make now is are you ready and willing to pay for a professional diagnosis at a reputable European independent shop or MB dealership?
The following users liked this post:
C280 Sport (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
With all the money in parts you've thrown at it, you could have already paid for a professional diagnosis. At this point, the internet is not going to fix it for you. The decision you need to make now is are you ready and willing to pay for a professional diagnosis at a reputable European independent shop or MB dealership?
Ditto!
Old 05-25-2020, 12:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Not really . the reason I say do a compression test is because its the easiest and cheapest test you can do . If it fails it there is no point to throw parts or get an expensive diagnostics . If it comes back that compression is good you can go ahead and get someone who can diagnose it for you .

Try this take a can of carb cleaners , take off the airbox and run your car . Spray around cyl number 4 and the one across from it . Spray also around the rubber hoses . IF you hear the engine change its idle . Then you have an air leak somewhere .

If the compression is good and you have no leaks the last and only thing it can be is a bad ecu or wiring . if the ecu or wiring is bad it can make the injectors put to much fuel or ignition .

You already spent to much money on this issue before you go and pay for an expensive diagnoses just do the compression test . Let us know what you find .