CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Blade key not working in door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 01:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
W209 CLK55 - 2003
Blade key not working in door

Hey all

i have a 2003 CLK55. When I got the car I remember being able to unlock with the blade key. I don’t recall needing to do anything specific with it to get the door to open. Some time after getting the car, I replaced the Keyless handle with a used replacement. I didn’t change the lock.

3 years later, when I try the key in the lock, the barrel will turn but the door will not unlock.

When I look online, lots of people talk about turning the key left and then having to pull the door multiple times. I must say that I don’t remember needing to do that. Car is UK right hand drive by the way.

Questions:
- Can somebody describe exactly what the blade key opening procedure is?
- Is there a chance that I did knot refit the lock correctly? I wonder if there is an easy mistake there.
- Are there any other known faults/weaknesses in the door lock mechanism that could give the same symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320 w209 112.955
Spindle may not be making contact. Mine broke but yours may have slipped out.

Broken spindle

Mock homemade spindle I made from an old screwdriver but couldn’t get the cotter pin hole drilled because the metal was too hard.

Homemade spindles. I used the one on the right made from a machined bolt that was put on a lathe to remove threads and then ground the head to a chisel point.

I just took the return spring off of the back of the lock mechanism and used a cotter pin to secure my homemade spindle.