CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Noisy A/C pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk 320
Noisy A/C pump

Hello lovely people, I am looking for some assistance. Having just purchased my first SLK, I am giving it some well deserved TLC. I have a strange noise coming from the front of the engine, like a wherring that changes with the revs. I thought it was the belt/tensioner/idle setup as the belt was old, I ordered the whole kit and changed that but the noise is still there. Upon further investigation - a metal rod and my ear - it seems like the noise is coming from the front of the A/C pump (it sounds like a dry or broken bearing). I have downloaded most of the internet and it seems that it is possible to change the bearing without dismantling and removing the pump - something that I would much rather do than removing the whole pump. So my questions are as follows :

1. Am I correct in thinking that my car should have the 000230701180 compressor?
2. Is the bearing quite a common part to wear out after 80K miles
3. Can you in fact change the bearing without removing the pump and all its pipes etc?
4. Has anybody attempted this as I am a little worried about the steps in doing this.
5. This is a left field request - is the bearing a 50 x 30 x 20 (ext - Int - height)
6. Does the pump have an electrical clutch to engage or is it clutchless?

Any information that you guys (or girls) could give me would be greatly appreciated.