CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

What radio did you replace the stock unit with.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
What radio did you replace the stock unit with.

I'm looking for a replacement radio. (2005 CLK500 convertible)

Previous owner swapped in a unit with HD tuner and BT, but doesn't have GPS and I can't set clock.
It does have steering control but going through the menus changes radio selection and source also.
It also doesn't seem to use the door window speakers or sub-woofer.

What radio did you install?

1) What do you like about the new unit?

2) What functionality is now missing?

3) Can you read the display with the top down?

4) Problems? (Functionality, installation etc)

Thx
Santa Jay
2005 CLK500 Black over silver convertible
Old 07-13-2021, 12:58 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
I went with Kenwood DNX. Its a great unit with nav and apple car play and android auto. Although I would go for any kenwood unit with caraway or android auto. Waze and Google maps are way better than the navi that comes with these units. Unfortunately for the sub speakers those will never work again. You will have to do an aftermarket sub and amp.

I went through the whole upgrade from speakers to amp subs and wiring . You dont have too but putting a sub in the rear will give you back some bass. To get better sound out of the sub there is a plastic panel that goes between the rear seat and the trunk. You can remove it or make a hole and cover it with a grill. Its a pain to remove but it will let lots of bass come through the trunk.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM

2005 CLK55
I don't have cabrio, but in my coupe I have a Dynavin N7 Pro.

I like the fact that it looks factory, syncs the dashboard clock, and brings CarPlay functionality.

I don't like that the reversing sensors do integrate with the unit, and that phone and carplay do not work that well with the dashboard display inside the speedo, and that the voice stalk does not trigger Siri when paired with the phone. But my biggest gripe, is that when using any SatNav app via Carplay, alongside any music app, the unit does not fade the music out and back in like it does when using bluetooth, but it just does a straight hard cut of the music, speaks the directions, then the music will come straight through on full volume afterwards. It is a really jarring way of doing it.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:26 PM

CLK500
Sorry about taking so long to reply, but my phone doesn't like this site an dumps me off before I finish.

The previous owner replaced stock unit with a Pioneer unit. It doesn't have nav. Out here, west of the Rockies, there are many places in the mountains without cell service so all phone-based maps software is pretty useless. I travel from Colorado Springs, Co to California and I spend a lot of miles in those white spots in the coverage maps from T-mobile and Verizon. I'd like to have a disc/SD card/upload based map system to have as a backup. I have a nice Garmin 7" but can't find a mounting system I like and don't dare leave it with the top down.

The sub speakers are still in the car and the radio has a sub out. Seems like an amp to connect the 2 would be all you need. am I wrong?

Speaking of GPS mounts, what lives under the grill in the center of the dash? Probably was a speaker of some sort?

Again, sorry for taking so long after posting the question.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:35 PM

CLK500
Thanks for the reply.

I like the factory look and clock sync ability. I don't care about Car Play 'cause I don't own anything starting with "i". Does it support Android?

Reversing sensors? The sensors in the bumper or the backup camera?

I the music volume thing would be annoying.

One thing I find annoying in my Jag XK8 convertible and this CLK500 Cabrio is the radio face is completely unreadable with the glare of having the top down.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK
What radio did you install? I put a chinese hu for w209

1) What do you like about the new unit? everything

2) What functionality is now missing? ...hum.. none, i hate the command...hate his gps system ....small screen ...

3) Can you read the display with the top down? hardly ...with command was the same... so no diference

4) Problems? (Functionality, installation etc) ... nothing abnormal ...just normal stuff

Reversing sensors? what it has to do with hu?

... the backup camera? have put one on the rear, one front grill and other that do all time record

have put tpms sensors on wheels and get it displayed on screen with pressure alarm...

gps program can use maps and add IGo and Sygic for offline gps, hands free works fine, have no need to add an external mic, the built in works fine, no complains

can plug everything into the 3 usb...

add a rear bose sub... added a small amp and bass crossover to it, the hu has a sub out too

for adjusting the time on cluster, with das in programme mode add it, and at the same time add remaining litres to dash too

hope it helps