CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Want to replace aftermarket Pioneer 4200NEX Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Want to replace aftermarket Pioneer 4200NEX Radio

I'm looking for a replacement radio. (2005 CLK500 convertible)

Previous owner swapped in a unit with HD tuner and BT, but doesn't have GPS and I can't set clock.
It does have steering control but going through the menus changes radio selection and source also.
It also doesn't seem to use the door window speakers or sub-woofer.

I often travel out here in the West where the mountains block cell reception and therefore Google Maps etc is undependable.
Since it's a convertible I'd prefer not to use a dash mount GPS. (No easy place to mount and way too tempting to thieves.)

What radio did you install?

1) What do you like about the new unit?

2) What functionality is now missing?

3) Can you read the display with the top down?

4) Problems? (Functionality, installation etc)

5) Approximate price
Old 09-09-2021, 12:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK (W209) 270Cdi 2003
I have replaced the original Comand 2.0 with one of these ubiquitous Android units, made to replace the Comand 2.0 (same visual style, same dashboard footprint). Mainly, I wanted a modern GPS Nav, and Bluetooth for hands-free phone calls.
It worked alright in those fronts: Nav is much better, and updated, and I now have hands-free phone.
As a bonus, I now have reverse camera, and a few other gadgety functions.

What I lost, is good sound quality. Appaling in the new unit, even after some improvement with upgraded speakers, subwoofer and amps...still working on that.

Also, the new unit also responds to steering wheel button inputs, even when the mode is not the "Audio" one. Very annoying...the Comand 2.0, of course, did not do that. It probably has to do with the "Canbus" box that the headunit brings, to connect to the car, so that the steering buttons work. They work, but the box does not recognize modes..so they work all the time.

These two issues bug me no end. I will either find a solution for the sound, or return to Comand 2.0, and find alternate solutions for Nav, and phone connectivity.

Installation was not too hard: main trouble was finding the room for extra wires (ended up shortening some). Keep in mind this is a unit specifically prepared for this car type. It will not be the same with a generic (i.e, not CLK-specific) headunit.

I have a coupe, but even then, with strong sunlight, screen is unreadable. But, the original Comand 2.0 was the same. After some investigation into headunits, I don't think it is possible to find any (apart, possibly, from some VERY expensive ones) that will be easily visible in strong sunlight, even in a coupe. It's the same with smartphones...only the very expensive ones have AMOLED or something like that, and all others have to be shielded from the sun to be readable.

But, this unit is cheap: around 200-300€, according to varying specs and accessories.

All in all, if I knew then what I know now, I would have kept the Command 2.0, and looked for other solutions for Nav and phone. But you already have a non-OEM headunit, so not a similar situation.

Hope it helps.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
I haven't figured this site out so sorry about the all caps, but I couldn't figure out how to differentiate your text from my response.

What I lost, is good sound quality. MINE SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD THROUGH THE FEW SPEAKERS THAT WORK. IT IS AN HD RADIO SO NOT AS COMPRESSED SOUND AS NORMAL FM. IT ALSO HAS A 10 BAND EQUALIZER TO BRING UP THE BASE AND TREBLE TO A REASONABLE LEVEL. MY PROBLEM IS THE SUB, FRONT TWEETERS, AND THE CENTER DASH DON'T PLAY AT ALL.

I ALSO LOST THE ABILITY TO SET THE DASH CLOCK.

Also, the new unit also responds to steering wheel button inputs, even when the mode is not the "Audio" one. ... They work, but the box does not recognize modes..so they work all the time. MINE TOO!! THAT IS ANNOYING.

Keep in mind this is a unit specifically prepared for this car type. It will not be the same with a generic (i.e, not CLK-specific) headunit. I DON'T THINK I'LL HAVE THE WIRE PROBLEMS SINCE THE PREVIOUS INSTALLER ALREADY FOUND A WAY TO STASH THEM. YOU NEVER MENTIONED BRAND/MODEL THAT YOU HAVE.

I have a coupe, but even then, with strong sunlight, screen is unreadable. I FOUND A RADIO THAT ADVERTISES THAT IT HAS A "TFT" DISPLAY. I'VE USED THOSE ON MOTORCYCLES AND HANDHELD GPS UNITS AND THEY DO WELL IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT. I'VE SENT A QUESTION TO THE SELLER TO VERIFY THE TYPE OF DISPLAY. NO RESPONSE AS OF YET.

I DON'T HAVE THE ORIGINAL RADIO, SO REINSTALLING ISN'T AN OPTION FOR ME... UNLESS SOMEONE HAS ONE THEY WANT TO PART WITH.

Hope it helps. ABSOLUTELY! EVERYTHING HELPS. IF YOU CAN'T TELL ME ONE THAT WORKS. YOU AT LEAST TOLD ME ONE THAT DOESN'T. THANKS