CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS, ESP, Brake Wear Warning - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 12:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
E550 Cab, ML350, CLK63BS - Dearly Departed: CLK55
ABS, ESP, Brake Wear Warning - Limp Mode

Hi all,

I posted this on the CLK55 forum, but i thought this might be a larger audience.

I have a 2005 CLK55 cab with about 94,000.

I am getting an ABS Display defective, Brake Wear Warning, ESP warning visit workshop message and the car goes into limp mode. Any suggestions? Here is the list of things done by me and the dealer so far...

1) Secondary Air pump went. Removed and tested with spare battery...and it was completely seized. Replaced (FCP EURO). Still blew 40 Amp fuse after replacing. Research said when the air pump goes the Front SAM can go to due to circuit overload even with the fuse.
2) Replaced the front SAM (FCP EURO) and put the code on it from the original SAM using LAUNCH.
3) Started getting a simultaneous ABS, ESP, Brake Wear warning with the car going into limp mode. Could rectify by putting car in park, turning car off and restarting. It would happen randomly but once it started it would be more frequent as time went on. Off to dealer to check my SAM code, recode it just in case, and get a Star blessing. Problem came back.
4) Replaced voltage regulator (the one was fine, but I was there).
5) Replaced the battery.
6) Problem still persists. Dealer has swapped back original SAM. Problem still there after driving about 25 miles. Dealer also swapped out the ESP/ABS module thinking it was bad and the problem remains (put old one back on so no charge to me). All their CAN tests come back fine and they have tested for codes while the problem was active.

Dealer is trying to work with me and vise versa but we all are stumped. Has anyone else had this problem? What were your cures? Dealer is just as curious as I am.

I have also replaced the A/C compressor this year (FCP Euro), spark plug wires x16, and one coil that I noticed had a corroded plug wire connected to it. It was the passenger side 3rd cylinder back B plug if memory serves. Other than this, the car has been bullet proof. A while back i did the conductor plate on the trans and plug, fixed a bunch of oil leaks (minus the rear main seal), spark plugs, belts, pulleys, and replaced all the cylinders for the top including a pump rebuild. The only shop work I had done was the A/C compressor, ref sensor, and wheel bearing, otherwise all the work has been done by me.

I am thoroughly stumped on this one.

Thanks for the help!