CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tie Rod Test. Opinion is needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK500 Convertible
Question Tie Rod Test. Opinion is needed.

Hello.

I've been doing test and inspection of suspension components because 4500 miles ago I made alignment at Mercedes-Benz dealership (February 2021) and car started to pull to the right pretty soon (end of the year). At first it was superb but then went down.. Also I have excessive wear on outer edge of FL tire but I think this is due to my heavy cornering (I do right turns and exits in 95% of my driving, quite fast tbh)
So, here we go: jacked up car and looked around and everything looks solid (bushings, rubber parts, etc). Here comes the tie rod. Bushing is solid and no play. However, there is a play back and forth when I move the wheel at 3-9 o'clock. Both sides act the same. But then I moved drivers side and recorded passengers side and it moved in unison. When I jacked up one wheel only, there were no play what so ever. Everything was rock solid. I came to conclusion that the move is due to steering rack connection (I move one wheel and another one moves too).

So, what do you think?

I made a video so you can see precisely for yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Giorgos_gog (08-23-2022)