CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

White smoke from drivers side engine bay after intake manifold replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 clk 350
White smoke from drivers side engine bay after intake manifold replacement

Hello!

first time DIYer. Just replaced the intake manifold, Pcv cover, knock sensors, fuel injector o rings, and cam seals during an intake manifold swap. Finally got everything plugged back in, and on startup there is a burning smell with white smoke coming from the drivers side towards the back of the engine. The smoke lingers even after turning off the car, and I only had the car on for 1-2 minutes to see if it would start after the swap. I turned it off immediately out of fear and have disconnected the battery since.

sincerely need help as I’ve been looking forward to getting this running. Any ideas What this could be?

thanks in advance!!

Last edited by clkdtt; 10-27-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:34 PM

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts
SL500
Is it the M272 engine?

I replaced intake manifold on SLK with M272 engine, and it is a pig of a job, due to tight access. Are you sure no trapped wires under manifold? Also the gasket is so easy to "fold" when fitting manifold. However if either of these the engine would run very rough due to air leaks under manifold.

I also found re-fitting the injectors with new "o" rings was very tricky. They didn't want to seat correctly without a lot of force! None of these been pinched, or fuel rail not seated correctly?