CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Questions/Advice for my CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK500
Cool Questions/Advice for my CLK500

Hi guys - I was wondering if you could help me out with a few things concerning my CLK500.

For the longest time, the Lexus GS300 was my top choice for my first car (I'm 19.. well, in 2 weeks). My family has 3 Lexuses (LS430, SC430, RX300) and getting the GS woulda made me the happiest kid around. Its luxurious, very comfortable inside, and just really appealed to me. Then one day, my dad suggests we take a look at some CLKs. I never even thought about a CLK, but I wasn't going to turn my dad's offer down.

I was at the point where I was unable to make a decision between a Black on Black CLK430 or the Silver on Black GS300 I had been dreaming about for months. The GS is more cushy and roomy, but the CLK - especially from behind - is just soo pimp. I was leaning towards the GS, only because it suits my driving style more. I love to drive, but I thought the CLK would be too sporty for me (too sporty? i sound like an @$$hole..), and that getting such a performance car would be somewhat wasteful.

But, I stumbled upon this forum, saw the pictures of the new CLK500's, and my decision was made. My dad put the deposit down, and I'm actually pretty high on the list at my dealership. Now.. there's a few questions.

<center> </center>

1) The above picture is the color I want. Does anybody know the name of it? I was on the CLK website, and there were 3 or 4 different shades of blue that I saw. Is it Jasper? Iolite? Tanzanite?

2) I'm still torn between Avantgarde and Elegance. I know Avantgarde has Chrome and "Alu-ellypta", and has the MUCH nicer rims. But, the Elegance has the wood. Are there any other big differences between the two? My friends tell me to get the Avantgarde while my dad is really stuck on the Elegance model. I've heard the Avantgarde interior is amazing in person.. what do you guys think? If I were to get the Elegance model, do you think I could still order the Avantgarde rims from my dealer?

3) I've heard that the CLK500's come with a Sport Package. Does anybody know what this package includes? How will my 500 look different from a 320? Is it possible to get the "spoiler / fin" that's on the AMG's?

4) My dealer tells us that the car is expected to arrive in mid-late July. However, my dad heard at the New York Auto Show that its not going to be in until September/October. I REALLY really want to have my car for some of the summer - and at the very least, for when I go back to school. Do you guys think there's any chance it'll be in by July - or is my dealer jerking us around?

That's pretty much it.. any responses are appreciated. Thanks.

- Mike
Old 05-19-2002, 05:05 PM

2001 CLK320
W209 trim levels

in the US, we don't get a choice of Elegance or Avantgarde - those are european and asian market trim levels offered.

In the states, we get what amounts to parts from both trim levels.

The sport package for the CLK500 will be 17" (or 18"?) wheels with 40/45 series tires different front and rear aprons and side skirts (the AMG body kits). And probably the blue tinted windows which the CLK430 had...

The interior will have the white guage faces and probably the aluminum trim on the 500 model

the 320 models will have the dark guage faces, 16" wheels and wood trim (and neutral tinted glass)
Old 05-19-2002, 10:53 PM

2004 Range Rover, 02 S 600, 02 Yukon
a few answers

that blue is a new color by the name of iolite, unfortunately according to the US ordering guide its not coming here, although this could change in the future....

for the most part the CLK 320 in the US will follow the elegance model, and the CLK 500 follows the avantgarde model specs from europe.....

no one is really sure if the new CLK 500 will come with the AMG body as standard, although we should know that very soon, as they are being built for the US as of next month...

as of now the release date for the car is august 8th...with build dates starting in june, that should be right or thereabouts
Old 05-20-2002, 12:12 AM

CLK
Iolite or Tanzanite (Capri Blue)

Nazby,

What is your source of info re: Iolite. The picture also looks like it could be Tanzanite (I am told that in the US it is called Capri Blue).

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:28 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK
That's definitely iolite blue, I have the brochure ( european brochure)
Old 05-20-2002, 10:33 AM

r u guyz serious? the 500 is gona have the cheap looking "aluminum" trim? no wood in a 500? thats stupid.and i was beginning to like the new clk more and more.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:29 AM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally posted by thuged_out
r u guyz serious? the 500 is gona have the cheap looking "aluminum" trim? no wood in a 500? thats stupid.and i was beginning to like the new clk more and more.
I was given the choice of the two woods and the aluminum as an option.

Nabzy, I thought that it was a done deal as far as spots package on the 500 b/c they don't offer it as an option. My dealer told me that he wasn't able to add contour seats or the sports package and his reasoning was that it was standard. I really wish this was more clear as I am getting the first one at my dealership. If it doesn't have the sports package and I will have to spend $15,000 on a lorinser kit it sounds as though I will be spending near CL500 levels (with all of the options I ordered). If this is the case my decison is very easily made.

I guess my question is where are you getting your info? Not that I doubt it, you've not steered me wrong, but I am being told that I can expect my car in mid to late July and you are saying Aug. I really wish we had some concrete info. Uggggghhh.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:38 AM

2004 Range Rover, 02 S 600, 02 Yukon
I will try

and get some more concrete info on the sports package asap, but my sources have no knowledge yet, so I cant say one way or the other...

same goes for trim, but I have never really asked about that, so maybe i can get some info on that sooner.....

as for multi contours they are delayed availabilty, so your dealer is just playing you there, he cant order them right now, so hes giving you a story...when will they be available ? right now no-one knows, my guess ? around august build dates, as they come standard on the CLK 55, and that car will be introduced in europe in september, hence they will start building them in august
Old 05-20-2002, 11:48 AM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Re: I will try

Originally posted by nabzy
and get some more concrete info on the sports package asap, but my sources have no knowledge yet, so I cant say one way or the other...

same goes for trim, but I have never really asked about that, so maybe i can get some info on that sooner.....

as for multi contours they are delayed availabilty, so your dealer is just playing you there, he cant order them right now, so hes giving you a story...when will they be available ? right now no-one knows, my guess ? around august build dates, as they come standard on the CLK 55, and that car will be introduced in europe in september, hence they will start building them in august
Nabzy, do you think it makes sense for me to take a later vehicle? I am worried that I will lose out on options that may not be abvailable in time. Or do you think I would lose money if I put another deposit down- then planned on selling mine when the new one came in? I put very low miles on these things- 4-5k miles per year.

ps Thanks for the heads up on the multi contours- wish they could be a little more honest.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:07 PM

'03 CLK500
I spoke with my MB dealer today..

I just want to say thanks for responding so promptly to my post. I went to my Mercedes-Benz dealer today, and spoke with my sales rep about the CLK500. After speaking to him, it really shocked me how little he knew about the car, and how stupid he came off. He didn't give me a single straight answer to my various inquiries. Avantgarde? Elegance? Sport package? Who?

He did give me one piece of concrete information. He said that the CLK500's are due to be delivered July 15th, 2002. However - they will not begin to release them to the people who have put deposits down until they sell off the rest of their 2002 inventory. I suppose that kinda makes sense from Mercedes' standpoint, but it really blows for people like me who desperately want to have our cars beore the summer is over.

Sooooo.. if you're in New York and are looking to get a 2002 CLK430.. Huntington Mercedes-Benz is the place to get it!!
Old 05-20-2002, 08:48 PM

2001 CLK 320
2002 Inventory

I find it unlikely that MB will require dealers to delay delivery of the W209 until 2002 inventories are depleted. First, a sale is a sale and that is what they are in business for. Second, I have seen both new and old body SL's at dealers, and there is no question that new SL's have been delivered. Worst case scenario, dealers will have to discount old SL's, CLK's and E's in inventory as the new models come out.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:38 AM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
That makes alot more sense, CLK320. I cannot imagine tehm risking losing business b/c they aren't sold out of the W208. I have also seen old and new body SL's at dealerships- and the old are marked down below invoice in most cases.