CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Stalled after putting it in drive, and then will not start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 10:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 CLK 350/. 2009 CLK 350/2005 Both White
Stalled after putting it in drive, and then will not start

2006 CLK 350 So my son called me from college today and he said he started. The car started fine, put it into reverse that he put it into drive, and when he went to accelerate, there was no acceleration at all it was very weak. The car started idling very poorly. He found the nearest parking spot, put it in park in the car died then he tried to restart it and he says it just clicks a couple times and that’s it.

Now I all know it’s thinking a dead battery, but when he started it he wasn’t getting any error codes. We do have it set up that whenever he starts the car it does show you that the voltage is OK. So I’m wondering what would cause a car to have zero acceleration then the second you put it in park die and then when you try to restart it, it won’t start. It just clicks like a dead dead battery.

I also had him do the old-school test where you turn the headlights on and you try to start it and he said the lights dim just a little bit but they were pretty bright so I’m a little confused
Old 01-25-2023, 12:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
old school also has volt meters to correctly measure voltage
Old 01-25-2023, 05:13 PM

I think it’s the fuel pump. There was no pressure in the fuel rail.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:29 PM

He basically said he drove about 30 yards and during that time there was no real acceleration it was running like crap. He came back and then the car just shut off so I’m thinking a fuel pump fuse in the trunk is OK so I’m gonna dig into the fuel pump and see how I can test that
Old 01-25-2023, 08:35 PM

So sure enough I sprayed some starter fluid in the evaporator in the back of the manifold and she ran for about 20 seconds so we know it’s a fuel problem for sure. I’m going to test a relay next to the fuel pump. Fuse fuse number four in the trunk. I’m gonna change the fuel filter because well 160 thousand miles that should be changed and I am going to go for the fuel pump. I’m not gonna waste time testing at all though I can when I’m in there but I’m also buy a new one anyways and it should start. I guarantee it’s the fuel pump.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
The suspense is killing me. Was it pump?
Old 05-28-2023, 07:51 PM

Yeah, sorry about that. I’ve been following up on my boat forum and usually I like to let people know what did it. So the truck was the fuel pump. This is what you do it’s pretty simple you open up the hood if you die after driving 30 seconds from a fresh start. Then on the fuel rail, you’ll see a little valve that you can push in if you push that in and no gasoline comes out it’s nine times out of 10 your fuel pump for sure.

so the way it feels is for my son who has the exact same car we have to CLK 350s his happened a month and then mine 30 days later which is really weird because one car has 168,000 and the other one has 72,000

So what he told me his he started the car and he backed up and he started to go up his college parking lot and about 14 car spaces later. It just kind of started losing power and I hit the pedal and nothing happened. So I was like well that’s pretty strange so I had him try a couple things and then I said you know what just told her car home.

So being a mechanic the first thing I did was I check for spark they were spark then I pushed in the pressure button on the fuel rail and no fuel chemo. So I took the air cover off, and I sprayed some starter fluid inside the intake sure enough the car ran for about 20 seconds. Well we know it’s a fuel issue.

Well, then I thought it was like a filter that was clogged or something else and then upon some more research I realize that the fuel filter in the passenger rear seat is where the fuel filter is. There is a second sensor on the passenger side but that’s not what actually does the pumping. A lot of people with the both backseats and get confused on which one is actually the electric pump. Depending on your car nine times out of 10. It is behind the passenger side seat.

No I will say this they are super cheap at Amazon. If you do your shopping right there about $50-$76 do not buy these at the parts store. You’ll pay three times that amount.

There are videos on YouTube that are very helpful telling you how to take this out. It’s literally a 15 minute job. It’s so super easy it’s laughable.

The YouTube video will show you that you need a 13 mm wrench to take two bolts that hold the seat down in the front and then to right underneath. Then you’ll have to remove eight or 12 8 mm nuts that hold a cover that’s black.

No in the video depending on your ear there’s two scenarios to take the fuel filter out on my older 2006 you hit it with a mallet rubber and a piece of wood, no spark and you hit it in a fashion that you’re slowly spinning it off.

On the newer models, it’s an actual clamp. We will need a 5/16 socket bit of a pain in the *** so make sure you have proper tools where you’re going to need a quarter inch drive extension swivel and socket you’ll see what I mean.

OK now for the fun part, the cover will cut off pop up at you. It’s spring loaded. It’s two pieces. The video will show you this. The main take away is after it pops up open up all your windows by the way and try to do this outside. There are two hoses one is gold and one is black. There’s an electrical connector and the top one the actual fuel line. . The black and gold lines that you simply pry up go to the second tank on your right yeah, the Mercedes have separate dual tanks.

Now you need to watch a video in order to release the main fuel valve. You have to push a tab in with a screwdriver that’s thin you don’t wanna mess this up because if you break the clip, it won’t snap on to the next fuel pump.

I am happy to explain this to you if you wanna exchange email addresses.

One thing I will tell you is on Amazon the first time I bought one that was $76 when you search Amazon it’s kind of hard because they’re not very knowledgeable but if you look closely at the serial numbers of the $80 ones they’ll match the serial numbers of the $50 one and that’s what I did. I bought the cheaper one and saved 25 bucks and when I got home it was the exact same thing. Private message me if you need more help I’ll give you my email address and phone number.
The following users liked this post:
Sparkz181 (05-08-2024)