CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rant on pricing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Rant on pricing

I am just not happy with MB's demand and supply tactics recently. Take the case of the CLK coupe. According to some posters, they are getting 05's for close to invoice or under. While shopping for another car, I noticed that 05's BMW 325i are going for above invoice. We are talking about a car that is going out of "style" in about 7 months when the refresh is due!!!

By flooding the market with the coupe, MB is killing the resale value when we trade in. Also, cabs prices are still not discounted because MB concentrated its resources on coupe production. My sales guy, 20 years in the business, was lamenting this fact and questioned the logic of MB. He said the same thing happened to the SL500 in its 2nd year when MB flooded the market and dealerships were forced to discount it heavily to move it off their lots.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:49 PM

2000 528BMW 5sp
where are you getting that inf from?

only two coupes at my Hartford, ct dealer, so far I can only get 2k off sticker.on 05 clk 500, not done yet I' m after $3680 for a discount,
Old 10-27-2004, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Red face Don't feel bad...

I paid sticker for my 03 CLK55. $79,075 to be exact. If I'm lucky, I might get about $50,000 for it now, after only having it for about 16 months and 16,000 miles. I sold cars for a few years, so I'm well aware that cars depreciate quite a bit, but I've never seen depreciation like this. The E55's are holding their value amazingly well around here, but now they can't give away the CLK's. I get pretty distressed every time I go by my local dealer, as I always see the same CLK's sitting in the same spot, which is telling me that they're not selling well at all. If they can't unload a new CLK55, why would anyone pay good money for a used one? It really sucks!! The big changes with the 05 don't help at all, either. Quad exhaust, 6 piston brakes, 18" wheels, quicker steering rack, revised shock damping, new rear axles... Did I miss anything? The 03 and 04 CLK55 buyers got hosed imho.

Same with the new GTO. After only ONE year, they change the car from the LS-1 with 350 hp to the LS-2 with 400 hp and a few other changes. If I was an owner, I would be furious. I definitely empathize for them. I'm seeing more and more that model cycles are getting shorter and shorter. When I bought my CLK55 in May of 03, I thought that with it being completely revised, I wouldn't have to worry about something like this for at least four years. It's a very good argument for leasing...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 10-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK320
Ouch! AMG//Merc, I feel your pain.

Same thing here in SoCal. I see a CLK55 sitting in the dealership forever. It just does not make sense that MB could screw us like that. I agree, the interior refresh and the intro of DVD Command is killing our 03 and 04 resale values. Well, MB certainly will lose customer base this way. I had intended to purchase the SLK 350 but decided to adopt a wait and see approach. Honestly, I can see how another car might sway me away by next year.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:53 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
This is funny since I have owned both an E-55 and a CLK-55. The CLK to me is hands down a better car, more reliable, just as fast and will out handle the E. I plan to keep mine long term to get my moneys worth. Then look to see where BMW is. These expensive cars should hold their value more since they cost a pretty penny to buy in the first place.