CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Noisy component on belt way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 04:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
magLipVE
Noisy component on belt way

Hello from France with desperate research of this fu... Acute noise. 192000km year 2004.
https://we.tl/t-Fr1wacazlP
All parts on belt way have been replaced except a/c compressor and alternator (only the freewheel pulley). Noise desappears with belt out. Several garage told me it's kompressor. Removed mine, ordered younger one on benzshop.de, replaced the oil and problem stills. Can be this second kompressor damaged too ? To be honest it's big labour to remove third time this kompressor and part around and I would like to share with you on this point.

Thanks

Last edited by serialpyro; 06-29-2023 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:51 AM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
Alternator. theres a play in the pulley in the video which was my first suspicion. The whirring sound similar to a supercharger that you can hear from inside the car is my second clue. The third clue is when you zoom in on the power steering reservoir and the sound is very pronounced and I see brand new idlers, power steering pump, and it isolates the issue away from the AC compressor.. The only way you can prove it further is by unplugging the alternator which is next to impossible. I hope this helps.

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 06-29-2023, 05:56 AM
Banned

magLipVE
Thank you for your help. Indeed the steering pump is new. When I turned by hand it was very noisy but that doesn't change anything with the new one. The problem when you remove the belt is to be able to rotate each element separately to test it but it is impossible.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:03 AM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
Originally Posted by serialpyro
Thank you for your help. Indeed the steering pump is new. When I turned by hand it was very noisy but that doesn't change anything with the new one. The problem when you remove the belt is to be able to rotate each element separately to test it but it is impossible.
at that mileage several components will be worn, you didn't really waste money except by doing it multiple times and listening to people who weren't actually working on the car. it happens, at any level of service. Part of mechanical expertise is separating who knows and doesn't know whats going on. Being familiar with the whining noise and seeing the pulley wobble I would have guessed that first.

hopefully you resolve your issue and we were correct

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674

Last edited by ChrisHimself; 06-29-2023 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:06 AM
Banned

magLipVE
Yes for me from the begining the noise comes from the left side (face to the motor.
So, after the steering pump, stills the alternator.
I'll remove it and check.
Thx guy.