CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Unable to manually lower top on 2004 CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK500
Unable to manually lower top on 2004 CLK500

Hi all,

Like the title states, I am trying to manually lower the convertible top on my 04 CLK 500 cabriolet. I have watched the following YouTube video by Top Hydraulic many times and understand the process very well. The issue is that the middle latch on each hinge is seems to be broken and just floating around, which I suspect is the issue, as the clam shell will not lift at all when myself and a helper attempt to lift up and back (at roughly a 45 degree angle).

I have followed the instructions to a tee:
  • Lowered windows (right rear is separated from its trock, but i can hear the window mechanism fold into down position (I think)
  • rear seat rollover headrests are in proper down position
  • Opened the reservoir a full turn counter clockwise.
  • Pulled and turned the hydraulic knobs in the trunk 90 degrees.
  • Pushed the hinge into down position on each hinge.

Going back to my concern about the 'middle' hinge type thing on each hinge that is broken, I have no idea what those do but I suspect that they have something to do with the issue. Per the video at the trunk area looking forward toward the front of the car), you are supposed to wrap the strap behind the hinges, but in FRONT of that middle hinge, which I have done...

Guidance would be very much appreciated!
Old 08-07-2023, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK500
This forum isn't too responsive, which is kind of disappointing, so I did some experimentation over the weekend to answer my own question.

Through just reverse engineering that middle piece on each hinge, it's a locking mechanism that appears to lock the rear clam shell at specific points during the lowering and raising of the convertible top. It was impossible to close the clamshell/convertible deck cover into place with the top manually lowered with those broken pieces, so I ended up unbolting the hinges from the rear deck to test the theory.

I was then able to lower said deck cover and then reposition the hinge in order to bolt the hinge back on in order to continue the process of manually lowering the top and pushing the rear deck down and forward to close it. It was not possible for me to lower the deck (and I tried several different ways) with the hinges in place.

I would definitely not recommend that folks try this, especially for a car this nice, as it can damage the convertible top mechanism/components (the cover flops around when not bolted in and places too much side to side pressure on the cylinders), and even the trunk lid and deck as they can come in contact with each other risking body damage, or at very least damage to the paint. Even with two people and taking great care, it was very challenging to keep things steady.

I did it as an experiment, as I will likely replace everything in a season or two - the top and the mechanism is trashed anyway, but I will NOT attempt it again. I will start by replacing the hinges (which are expensive even used - around $200), so that I can at least manually drop and put up the convertible top without having to go through that ordeal again. If that middle piece is broken on your hinge, then replace them first if you trust your mechanical skills (and have a helper), or pay a competent mechanic to do it for you.

Last edited by CiLKy500; 08-07-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'00 CLK320, '01 ML320 Designo, '01 ML320 Sport; '04 CLK320 Coupe Avantgar; '04 C230 SportCoupe (HB)
Just curious, did you attempt the procedure found in the CLK Owner's Manual as well as the YouTube video?

Reason I am asking is I am looking at an '03 CLK (W208) next week, and the top is inop.

I plan to troubleshoot and rebuild the mechanism/hydraulics/etc over time but am interested to know about the manual operation.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230k/s500
Did you ever get this fixed or to work. I am having almost the same problem but when I get th clam moved back I cannot get mine to tilt all the way up. It seems to be locked or stuck and will not tilt all the way up. I have looked at it but I am afraid to try and put more force on it due to the fear of breaking it. Any new advice welcomed.

Thanks