CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

The dreaded 7G-Tronic TCM plate failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLK 320 CDI AMG
Question The dreaded 7G-Tronic TCM plate failure

Hello everyone,

I bought myself a nice CLK 320 CDI a few months ago. With almost all options, the color I wanted and everything, so it was a no brainer for me considering it's always been my dream car.
However, a couple of weeks ago, the car stopped shifting while I drove it, and everything went back to normal after a restart. I checked the codes, and of course, it was the dreaded TCM sensor fail with the following codes on DAS :

On CDI4 controller
2230-001 Transmission control ETC FAULT 13
2297-001 Transmission control ETC short-circuit to positive

On EGS controller
2768 Component Y3/8n1 (Internal speed sensor (VGS)) is defective.
2767 The signal from component Y3/8n1 (Internal speed sensor (VGS)) is not available.

So there's no doubt it's a conductor plate issue.
I found tons of repair services for those nearing the 300 EUR mark, with new plates being around 400-500 EUR.
But I was wondering, what is actually done to these plates to refurbish them ? Is it micro-soldering new chips or resoldering connections, just a sensor change, etc ?
Is the repair actually worth that much, or is it doable semi-DIY ? I have extensive knowledge in electronics due to being an engineer, but not much in the field of car-related electronics.

Thank you
Lazarev8ch
Old 09-26-2023, 03:56 PM

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts
SL500
Where can you buy new for 400-500Euro?

From mercedes, only genuine part supplier, they are well over 1000Euro, plus programming!

They are part of the security system on the car, and only Mercedes can code them (and a few hackers!)

The reason they are repaired is to save re-coding them.

They generally are jut cleaned (ultrasonically) and valves / turbines replaced. They rarely fail electronically. If you get one refurbished, take it to a reputable company, as if it is electronically damaged there is more chance they will still be able to help you