CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2009 clk350 cabriolet - Fuel smell in Garage after fill-up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 Clk350 cabriolet
2009 clk350 cabriolet - Fuel smell in Garage after fill-up

Hello folks, before you flame me for starting a new thread , yes I did read most of the threads on this here, in this forum. But did not see a similar issue.

The smell is strong right above the rear driver side tire. No smell inside the car just as in this linked youtube video. I did open up the driver side rear seat and examined the sender unit. It was black, oil-like dirty but mostly dry and a strong fuel smell. See attached picture after i dusted/vacuumed the area. Dumb of me to not take a pic as is. But it was almost dry. I have not opened the passenger side yet (as strong smell is only on the driver rear side).

Edit: And I did turn on the car and reved up a few times and left it running for 5-10 minutes and the area remained dry. But noticed the fuel level was about 7/8 and not full anymore. Had driven about 50 miles after the full tank.

But as you can see in my picture, the side walls is shiny just as in that youtube video (some other car), the leak is coming from up the side wall of the gas tank.

What are the repair options in that case? Am i f*****? I am the original owner and car has just around 87k miles. I called the Dealer House of Benz where I bought it from, but they said there are no recalls or warranty for my VIN for this issue. MB's customer service kept dropping my calls when selecting to speak with live Agent (1 or 2pm weekday). Bummer.

Thank you in advance to the wonderful folks out here for your time and response.

Below is Youtube video of w219 showing the actual leak coming down the sidewall...

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxmbGlBuP...ISPkbTHyjq24of

Last edited by jigsb; 11-18-2023 at 08:17 AM.