CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK500 and ummm. M3?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-13-2004, 02:28 PM
zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Silver CLK500
Red face CLK500 and ummm. M3?

Hey guys,

I am planning to buy CLK500 (2005) hopefully within the next two months.

Well I was dead set on CLK, until three days ago I just dropped by a BMW dealership to take a look at M3. I have to admit that M3 turned out far much better than I had originally thought. There are so many goodies that they have made standard (F1 style gear box, Xenon headlamps, fog lights, user controlled suspension settings), not to mention optional 19" wheels . BMW salesperson claimed that CLK500 is a gas-guzzler compared to M#

I came out of the dealership a little more perplexed. However I am not the biggest fan of M3 shape. In my opinion, the car shape is too similar in 3 series. M3 looks like a fantastic racing car, but I still like the classy look of CLK, and the tristar badge at the front grill.

When it comes to gas-guzzling, both cars take the cake. There are a few things about Mercedes that I found a little hard to believe:

1. How come a 80,000 CAD luxury coupe fail to offer heated seats, sunroof, and premium sound system as standard features. I know they make $5,000 more from me when I'll order them seperately, but come on, is this money really worth putting bad taste in my mouth

2. A 8-cylinder Benz engine produces only 302 hp. While a I6 BMW engine can go up to 330 hp. But then, by all reviews, this BMW is a technological marvel. Still, something that MB should look out for. Simply the efficiency of a small 3.2 litres engine should give them good model of extracting more power out of smaller engines.

M3 is a good road racer, while CLK is more refined luxury. And I be buying a CLK due to its classy look and fabulous interior. I'll be taking test drives of both cars in the coming few weeks. Will keep you posted of my experience driving both of these cars.

Any of your comments are very much apprecited.

Zee

Last edited by zee; 11-13-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:53 PM

I did ask your first question when I bought my CLK last December.

My salesman told me that MB wanted to customize each car for their customers. You place your order with the exact options that you want and they will build the car for you in Germany. Therefore, unless they have your exact car somewhere in the continent, you may have to wait 3 months for delivery.

This does make sense. Why should you pay for something that you will never use. For instance, because my car was a demo, I have a sunroof and I opened it only twice this past summer. However, I do think that heated seat should be standard for leather seats.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with your comments on the M3 vs the CLK. That was the same dilema me and my wife when through when we were purchasing our car. We decided on the M3 - due to the pure sports car feel with the room and practicality of a coupe. The handling is unlike any car I have driven, and the power is very top end. Much like the crotch rockets i used to ride in my glory days. That being said the CLK is a totally different car. My wife younger sister is actually getting one in about a month. She is going from a Toyota Supra to the CLK. Just the thing she is wanting to do. I actually have test driven both cars and own the M.

My opinions on the CLK are that it is very plush. Very torquey for a V8 with 302 hp and very comfy. Although I couldn't help not liking the way the car handled. It felt very heavy, were the M drives like it is on rails. For what the CLK does, it does it well. But the M and the CLK are totally different vehicles. And the only thing that makes them comparable are that they are both German vehicles - 2 door coupes - and they are both around $60k.

What is it that you want? A sports car, or a luxury coupe? I highly suggest test driving both vehicles before you make your choice. Also for some more info check out www.m3forum.net
Old 11-14-2004, 12:44 AM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Red face

Begone:

I am looking for a coupe with enough power and comfort . Now these are so general qualities that almost every car from Kia to Mercedes will become an option. However I definitely want to have a MB or BMW. There is a huge brand factor at work here.

I am definitely not a big fan of M3 shape, as it is almost like a 3 series Sedan. I however love all the technology that goes into it. And every review I have read on the web about M3 gives it two thumbs way up. I have no doubt it is a great driving machine.

CLK definitely lacks in the driving experience that M3 offers. But it was not designed as a pure driving machine. I am not sure if M3 goodies will be enough to sway me to that camp. But then, I haven't driven that car yet. And I am looking forward to driving this machine the next weekend.

Did you say your sister-in-law is going to buy a CLK. Keep me posted on her experience with the car. Is she a member of this forum?

Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:34 AM

Zee:

No she is not a member of the forum. But I will check back and let you know of my thoughts on the car. I have tested the CLK about a month ago, and wrote my review. By the way, I am not trying to sway you to either side. I think the CLK is a gorgeous car and very classy. But for me and my wife, we actually liked the look of the M3 better. It's alot more beefier and aggressive looking then the CLK. IMO. It does resemble the regular 3 series, but seriously get those cars side by side (my brother has the 330 convert, we have the M3 Convert) and they are nothing alike. And with rims, SMG, the power and a kinda Cult following - The M3 was a lot more "exciting" choice for us. The looks and the inquires on our car makes us proud to drive it. We have SMG and we LOVE it. It takes a while to get used to. And actually my wife was real skeptical about it, but now she chuckles on how she ever even doubted liking the car. Here a pic of the car and the Supra that my sister-in-law is getting rid of (actually I'm buying it from her...for "cheap"). But she is really excited about getting her CLK.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:58 PM

CLK500 Cabriolet
I recently had to decide between an M3 convertible and the CLK500 cabriolet. I have owned products by both companies in the past, so I didn't have any particular bias. In the end, I went with the CLK because:
1. BMW's SMG still seems to need work
2. Propensity of M3 engines for catastrophic failures
3. M3 looks pretty much like the other 4 billion 3 series out there
4. New 3 series body style due out very soon...hate to look dated too fast
5. MB has better interior...more stylish exterior, although the BMW looks more muscular
On the other hand, I did have to give up
1. Free maintenance on the BMW
2. More sporting driving feel of the BMW
3. Could have gotten a better deal on M3.

In the end, they are both great cars.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:21 PM

m3 vs clk

With the new body style soon to arrive on the 3 series....typically the M's lag about a year or so behind the base car....you'd be buying a car that looks dated...meaning, although the car is awesome, it will carry a body that has been around for about 7 years....and a very common sight on the roads.

Plus, if you buy instead of lease you'll need to consider the hit you may take on the resale value, as most future M buyers will want the new body style. I've also read that the clk is second only to the 911 for the lowest depreciation over time.

just something to think about.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:08 AM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Red face

Guys, I have some more questions for you.

I was at the MB dealership here to take a look at 2005 CLK500. Based on current pricing, 2005 is stretching my budget a little bit. We then took a look at 2004 Models. I can get a 2004 car at a substantial discount compared to the 2005 (no surprise ).

The question is: Is it worth spending extra $$$ to get the 7-speed automatic transmission, manual override gear changes and Harmon Kardon Surround System. For the 2004 owners, do you like the BOSE Stereo System.

I personally can live without the 7-speed transmission. However, manual gear changes behind the steering wheel seem pretty pretty cool. I can get Keyless-Go functionality with the 2004 car as well. Any comments on this function?

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:27 AM

stereo

the bose is pretty solid, could use a little more base however.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:33 PM

2000 528BMW 5sp
2005 you do get more& less

7 speed gives you improved highway milege 25mpg vs 22. improved center stack, radio & climate controls, no gas gulzzler tax $1000!!! spread tween 04 and 05 really not so much, 2004 is 0ne year old,big depreciation taken before you bought it. 2004 gives you FREE (ha) maintence, but not that mch of a biggy as major things brakes are not covered,
Old 11-19-2004, 12:33 PM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Any comments on the SMG style gear box. Do you like the manual override functionality?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:43 PM

I came from a M3 convertible with the SMG transmission. It was an awesome car. The reasons why I sold it was that the new body styles will be out soon and I got a great price for it. I do agree with the others that the body style was too close the the normal 3-series. You are paying way more for the car - it would be nice to distinghuish it more. Honestly, I would seriously consider going back to the new model once its out. The designers are such good enthusiasts and I am sure they will knock the new model out of the park once again.

BTW, SMG was awesome. It is one of the things I miss the most about that car. No tiptronic-style tranny can come close, as the SMG was a true manual minus the electro-hydraulic actuated clutch.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by zee
Hey guys,

I am planning to buy CLK500 (2005) hopefully within the next two months.

Well I was dead set on CLK, until three days ago I just dropped by a BMW dealership to take a look at M3. I have to admit that M3 turned out far much better than I had originally thought. There are so many goodies that they have made standard (F1 style gear box, Xenon headlamps, fog lights, user controlled suspension settings), not to mention optional 19" wheels . BMW salesperson claimed that CLK500 is a gas-guzzler compared to M#

I came out of the dealership a little more perplexed. However I am not the biggest fan of M3 shape. In my opinion, the car shape is too similar in 3 series. M3 looks like a fantastic racing car, but I still like the classy look of CLK, and the tristar badge at the front grill.

When it comes to gas-guzzling, both cars take the cake. There are a few things about Mercedes that I found a little hard to believe:

1. How come a 80,000 CAD luxury coupe fail to offer heated seats, sunroof, and premium sound system as standard features. I know they make $5,000 more from me when I'll order them seperately, but come on, is this money really worth putting bad taste in my mouth

2. A 8-cylinder Benz engine produces only 302 hp. While a I6 BMW engine can go up to 330 hp. But then, by all reviews, this BMW is a technological marvel. Still, something that MB should look out for. Simply the efficiency of a small 3.2 litres engine should give them good model of extracting more power out of smaller engines.

M3 is a good road racer, while CLK is more refined luxury. And I be buying a CLK due to its classy look and fabulous interior. I'll be taking test drives of both cars in the coming few weeks. Will keep you posted of my experience driving both of these cars.

Any of your comments are very much apprecited.

Zee
M3 3.2 liter , vs clk 500 5.0 liter

m3 has more hp, clk has more torque!

MB emphasis on torque i dont know why, even the torque of te SLK55 AMG is exactly the same as the torque of the Lamborghini Gallardo... 510 nm = 376 lb/ft
Old 11-23-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
I think you should really look at a 2003 CLK55. You find a lot of used cars with very low miles for the same price as a new CLK500, right around $50K. It would provide you with all the benifits of the CLK500 plus the huge performace of AMG which rivals the M3.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK55 Cab
M3 or CLK500

I looked at both cars as well. I chose the CLK500 ( still waiting for my order )
because:
1. I was really nervous about the M3 reliability. Seems to be a common thread on m3forums.com . At the dealership, I asked about the reliability and the salesperson paused and almost flat out admitted that you buy the car for performance and not reliability.
2. The CLK has rear seat side airbags.
3. The M3 automatic top was not a nice as the CLK's one touch operation.
4. The MB service and dealerships, in my experience, are definitely a class above BMW.
5. The interior is better on the MB.
6. The price is not much more on the MB and the car is a heck of a lot less common. Seems most M3 drivers fit a profile of 20-something years old. The MB is a more classy car.

That being said they are two different cars, for two different buyers. Both are very nice cars - i give the edge to the MB.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:52 PM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Alright guys, here is the story of my two test drives last weekend.

First I was at the BMW dealership at 11 a.m. The sales guy that I had talked to previously had arranged a test drive on a manual transmission M3. There were a few things that he said that took me by surprise. I think he slightly forgot that he had previously quoted a good discount on 2004 M3 (compared to 2005 model). On Saturday, his new discount was QUITE less than the one he had quoted previously. When I reminded him of our previous conversation, he promptly said that we can always talk about the price, if I am interested in the car.

I know he is trying to sell a car at a good price for his employer, but I treasure honesty in any person, and was slightly disappointed here.

He also said that people don't test drive M3. They just go out and buy it.

I laughed it off. Didn't believe it for a second, and I think he knew it that. I am not sure why he made that comment if we were going out for a test drive.

Anyways, we did test drove the M3. This time, surprisingly I found the interior quite bland for the manual transmission model. The SMG equipped one (that I had previously seen on my first trip to the BMW dealership) was actually quite nicer inside. But man this car really runs. We had 19" wheels on our M3 and the I did realize why this car gets rave reviews as a great racing machine. I thought the suspension was a little stiff, and gear change was little harsh (specially from first to the second). But torque was outstanding, and before I knew it I was cruising at 120 kmph on a highway. I did enjoy the drive, but straightaway I knew that this was not exactly the car I am looking forward to drive for the next few years. It was slightly less than luxurious, and the interior was just not cutting it for me.

Next I headed straight to the MB dealership. There is a demo 2004 model that was a probable choice, and I was going to test drive the exact vehicle that I may end up buying. My sales guy at MB is a great guy to deal with. I signed the insurance papers for the test drive, and boom; the car was mine for the next hour. All by myself.

And God I fell in love with this car during the first few seconds. Everything is so perfect about this beauty that Mercedes has designed. Seats were extremely comfortable (with the lumbar support). Keyless Go is pure fun. Interior is so plush, I absolutely loved the roominess and ambience in the car. The V8 growls to life with touch of a button, and car gracefully slides into motion. There is superb torque under the hood, and once I gassed the pedal I couldn't believe how much this baby wants to sprint.

I like the Bose stereo system, I thought it was better than M3's Harmon Kardon. Though they could use more bass by installing more powerful subwoofers. This will be my first modification once I get the car.

Needless to say, CLK was a winner hands down. With a heavy heart I gave it back to the dealership. I'll hopefuly soon have it once credit application process is completed and winter rims are installed. Looking sometime in the middle of December when I get the car. Here are the specs:

CLK500, 2004
Sliver Grey Colour
Charcoal Interior
Sunroof
Keyless Go
Multi-contour Seats
17" Perrelli Winter Tires
6-Disk Changer

I'll post the pics sometime in December once I get the car.

Thanks so much for all your comments.

Zee
Old 11-24-2004, 09:35 AM

comparo

interesting comparison...the interior of the clk is quite nice...much more so than the bimmer. i dumped a 5 series for the clk.
i also have the charcoal interior, wood wheel, etc, and it just looks perfect.

now you'll have a car that is not as common as a 3 series....and i think the mb image is a bit better.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK55 Cab
Originally Posted by zee
He also said that people don't test drive M3. They just go out and buy it.Zee
Great review and I wholeheartedly agree. I got the same BS from BMW re: the test drive. I had no problem driving whatever model, including AMG, from the MB dealerships. They always gave me the line about "running the numbers and being serious" to get a test drive.
And I decided the 4yr/50k included maintenance doesn't really matter if the car is in the shop and BMW is trying to get your money some other way - i'm sure they will find a way to get your money - just check m3forums.com. The BMW dealerships are not called stealerships for nothing.
Just my experience .... MB is first class all the way.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by oracledba
I looked at both cars as well. I chose the CLK500 ( still waiting for my order )
because:
1. I was really nervous about the M3 reliability. Seems to be a common thread on m3forums.com . At the dealership, I asked about the reliability and the salesperson paused and almost flat out admitted that you buy the car for performance and not reliability.
2. The CLK has rear seat side airbags.
3. The M3 automatic top was not a nice as the CLK's one touch operation.
4. The MB service and dealerships, in my experience, are definitely a class above BMW.
5. The interior is better on the MB.
6. The price is not much more on the MB and the car is a heck of a lot less common. Seems most M3 drivers fit a profile of 20-something years old. The MB is a more classy car.

That being said they are two different cars, for two different buyers. Both are very nice cars - i give the edge to the MB.
Great points. The BMW interior does look like a German Honda. Also, great point on Number 6. In SoCal, almost every E46 M3 driver is some 20-year old punk looking to cut you off on the freeway. Add this to the fact that BMW Stealerships house convicted felons as sales associates and Mercdees Benz gleams like a Diamond Rolex in a box of plastic watches.
Zee, glad to hear about your experiences with both and how the CLK 500 won you over. You are choosing the right car for the right reasons. Good luck and let's see some pictures!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:27 AM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Got the car yesterday...

Hello guys, I finally picked up the car yesterday. Unfortunately Toronto is having a crappy weather since yesterday. I took some photographs at the dealership before getting it dirty out on the roads. I'll post those pics today.

Initial comments: The car is just great to drive. I am driving in Standard Transmission Mode, and it seems that the CLK is in its element at speeds around 120kmph. The suspension seems just fine (not too soft, not too hard) and car sticks well to the ground on wide highway curves; Maybe it is the winter tires showing stronger grip on the road.

Keyless Go is fun, and I am still getting familiar with the center display and all the gadgetry.

Zee
Old 12-07-2004, 12:18 PM

05 CLK500 Alabaster White
Congrats!

I just switched from a 2002 M3 coupe to a 2005 CLK500 and the difference is night and day. I'm sad to see the M3 go, but I needed a change. I hope the weather gets better so you can go out and enjoy your new ride!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:35 AM

Well my sister-in-law just got her 05 CLK500. It's White with Dark Ash Int, it has all the chrome inserts like the mirrors, and door handles, and the iluminated door sills (very nice touch). My wife and I have an M3 and that's the reason for this post. And hopefully I'll be on here alittle bit more to find out any info on her car as it is needed. But let me just say that CLK is soooo Smoooth! I don't know how anyone can compare the M and the CLK, they are completely different animals for different types of drivers.

My thoughts on the CLK500 are:
-LOVE the Interior, especially with the Nav. There are so many gadgets and aminities in this car it's ridiculous.
-LOVE the way the car rides, it has a very soft sweet ride (suspension wise), it's a good balance between luxury and sport.
-CLK has a great power delivery, on demand and there's more than you expect upon first drive.
-CLK is very roomy and large, the back seats for this coupe is very accomodating.

My thoughts on the M3:
-LOVE the power delivery, neck snapping linear power.
-LOVE the aggressive body style, very eye catching and inspiring (of course my opinion), gets alot of attention.
-LOVE the race car feel of the car, handles on rails, rough, but such a "confidence builder" on the road.
-LOVE SMG, best of both worlds and the closest true to form manual transmission.

All in all, very impressed with the CLK. But it's simply not for me right now. My wife thought the same thing. We're still young and our M's a convertible, and the CLK is something that we can certaintly see ourselves getting in the years to come. But right now the M's just a better choice for our lifestyle. I know that some people, even I, had compared the CLK to other cars like the M3 recently. But seriously, if you are choosing you need to test drive both cars, multiple times, along with other vehicles, and make a decision based on what type of driver you are and what you like. I guess these two cars are somewhat comparable, based on price, but they are really different kinds of cars for different types of drivers.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:13 AM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Guys,

I got my CLK500 during the first week of December. I love this car.The acceleration is sweet, the tranny is smooth, and the interior is great. Here are a few pictures of my baby. Note that it is sunny on the day when I shot the photographs, but the temperature was actually -25 degrees centigrades

Zee
Attached Thumbnails CLK500 and ummm. M3?-100_0008-2-.jpg   CLK500 and ummm. M3?-100_0009-2-.jpg  
Old 01-01-2005, 02:18 AM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Some More Pics

Attached Thumbnails CLK500 and ummm. M3?-100_0013-2-.jpg   CLK500 and ummm. M3?-100_0011-2-.jpg  
Old 01-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK 320
Originally Posted by lawprof
3. M3 looks pretty much like the other 4 billion 3 series out there.

both are great cars, though

you made a good choice