CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Noisy power steering after replacing pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 01:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 CLK 350/. 2009 CLK 350/2005 Both White
Noisy power steering after replacing pump

So let me start out by saying I do know the rule that whenever you remove power steering from a Mercedes BMW, Volvo or most German vehicles you jack up the car and when you add the fluid you turn the wheel 20 to 30 times left and right. And I’ve done this, so the power steering went on me along time ago and I figured it could’ve been the speed sensor, but I said what the hell changed the entire rack
The problem stayed and I said well maybe the second rack had a bad speed sensor, but it started making a lot of noise and I said what the hell let me change it again.

so the steering was still stiff manageable, but Steph and the power steering pump was kind of noisy not that noticeable but a little bit. Well, that annoyed me so I said what the heck for 50 bucks let me get another pump throw it in there I replaced the pump, jacked up the wheels turn left and right 25 times the vehicle and it was noisy. I shut it off.

I checked the fluids were fine, and I started the car and I checked the fluids while they were little bubbly nothing major slight slight foam

Once again, I open up the top turn the wheel left and right you could hear some squishing and actually did leak out a bit so I had to recap it, but it didn’t

The car came back still noisy. I let the car sit overnight jacked it up left right 15 20 times still super noisy when I turn the wheel sharp left sharp right when standing still.

I don’t know what it is with this car that the power steering is noisy but for some reason, this new pump is a lot noisier than the old one. I’m tempted to put the old one back.

thought was to completely drain the rack by loosen up some of those connectors completely draining the power steering and start all over again. Does anybody have any ideas because I’ve bled air out of water pumps I’ve done power steering other vehicles this one this one’s a nightmare for some reason.
Old 07-18-2024, 08:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 CLK 350/. 2009 CLK 350/2005 Both White
Well, unfortunately, I posted this on another forum and I got a ton of answers. I don’t know what’s going on here in this form, but I fixed it myself and I’ll share it I guess.

I wish I’d done this a while ago because my old pump was a little bit noisy, but it showed that it was full well just because it shows it fall. It really isn’t. You can continue adding believe it or not.

so the trick is on my car to replace the pump after you do add to the top fluid slowly turn the wheel left and right or else it’ll spill all over the place. Do this about 30 times. It’ll make a ton of noise add fluid and keep on adding even though it looks like it’s gonna overflow. It will suck it down. cap back on the wheel another 25 times more fluid I know even though the stick shows that it’s full it will take more believe it or not. I was shocked lower the vehicle noise until the noise goes away and you’re done.

That is not the mechanics way I get it. I know many of you will say no you’re overfilling it but for some reason, even though it looks full to the eye running off, you can actually add more and it will suck it.

Part of me is upset that I change the pump for nothing but I have two of these vehicles so now I have a spare pump Period

So I’ll leave it with this these things will trick you and in the end it’s all about filling until the noise goes away and turning the wheel when the vehicle off until all the bubbles go away
Old 07-19-2024, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 422 Likes on 348 Posts
MB’s
Excellent write up! I had an issue like this on a non MB car but it was due to a faulty pump. Glad you got it fixed !