CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK55 Extended Cranking 133,000mi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG 2005
Unhappy CLK55 Extended Cranking 133,000mi

Greetings All,

I know there might be an existing thread, so I apologize. I couldn't find anything similar to my issue.

Long story short, my car cranks perfectly fine on a cold start. I drive until it reaches operating temp. I park the car and wait 30 minutes to an hour, I come back and when I turn the key the engine cranks several times before it finally starts. Mind you, when it does start, it's a very weak start with no engine torque roll. I lose some throttle response from a dig on first gear the rest of the gears I do get instant torque, but not as much as before. I could leave it cooling down until the temp gauge shows me 40c - 60c, and it will still have a tough time cranking over. I occasionally throw a P0171 P0174 Lean mixture bank 1 & 2 on idle or after I come down to a stop. I'm not sure if my ECU is shot, though I doubt it.

Parts already replaced:

1. MAF Sensor and gaskets
2. Crank and Camshaft position sensors
3. Fuel Injectors
4. Fuel Pump
5. Throttle Body Gasket
6. Intake Manifold Gasket
7. Sparkplugs, Ignition Coils, Wires (Changed Last Month)
8. SAP and gaskets
9. O2 Sensors
10. Valve Cover Gaskets
11. Air Filters
12. Starter
13. MAP Sensor
14. Knock Sensors
15. Alternator

(Everything was replaced with OEM parts)

I've read somewhere online that a vacuum/exhaust leak could cause this hard start issue but I've yet to look into that. It would blow my mind if this was the case.
My battery seems to be relatively new as it has 10/23 on the sticker but if I leave it sitting for a couple of days it fully drains.

I'm also worried that I might need to do some internal engine work involving piston rings, valve seals, and the timing chain.

Thank You in advance
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 CLK500, 2007 CLK550
So you replaced everything but the failing starter. You just described a bad starter, buy new and not remanufactured. As remanufactured parts do not work.
Old Today, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG 2005
Thumbs up

The starter has already been replaced, as stated on the list. I only use Bosch or Genuine Mercedes for anything that needs to be replaced.

I might not have explained correctly what my issue was, but a bad starter would show signs of very weak cranking/slower rpm cranking, or no crank at all. Mine cranks as if it were still new. My issue is that it takes SEVERAL cranks before the fuel ignites. So it could be leading to fuel, ECU, or anything else.