CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2003 CLK 320---almost undriveable!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 320---almost undriveable!

As a long-time owner and lover of MBs, it causes me some pain to bash my car but...after 18 months and 14,000 kms, this car has some real issues.

First of all, I had the crumby wipers and noisy seat phenomenon. However, cudos to Mercedes-Benz Canada as they promptly resolved those problems.

Then, about 2 months ago, it started to sound like a '76 Pontiac---I figured that there was a loose connection in the exhaust system as it was rumbling and creeking at a stop light like an old jalopy.

However, as I was due to take it in for its first servicing, I thought that I would wait a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, while driving home, I accelerated quickly, causing the yellow "check engine" warning to pop up on my dashboard. The car then proceeded to shake like it had a bad case of the flu!

I took it in the next day. They said that the two things were unrelated. The loose connection sound was actually the catalytic converter, and it needed to be replaced.

As for the engine, something about the fuel line/spark plugs. They were able to remedy that (so I thought), but they had to order the new c. converter.

Well, within 24 hrs, the engine problem returned. Now, it has the power (and sound) of a Lawn Boy lawnmower as I try to accelerate, thus causing cars behind me to honk and then go around me (no doubt chuckling as they do it). As for the c.converter, it is now spewing the stinky smells that are associated with a problem in that area.

Not amused for so little mileage at such a premium price...
Old 12-20-2004, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
1iron, I feel your pain.....I bought my CLK500.... had it for 3 months and its been in and out of the shop constantly..... I have gone thru replacing the squeeky windshield wipers to the light bulbs to replacing the injectors in the engine, to a brand new transmission! Hopefully there are no more problems...... No very good for only 17k miles on the car...... BUt i love it anyways.... when the car rides good, its an amazing vehicle.....!
Old 12-21-2004, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 200 KOMPRESSOR Elegance
I reckon when Mercedes asked its suppliers to make their parts less expensive, and thus the cars more affordable, they got cheaper parts and hence the quality suffers !