CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK 55 or C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
All I have to say is.....you get what you pay for!
If the exhaust tips tell me anything...its that the C class has skimp out there....where else has it skimped? Just my observation.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Stiggs
All I have to say is.....you get what you pay for!
If the exhaust tips tell me anything...its that the C class has skimp out there....where else has it skimped? Just my observation.

i dont think it costs anymore to use bigger tips. it would just not look in proportion on a c-class to me. As is they look almost to big for an SLK55 to me.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

Just thought I’d share my experience so far with a 2000 CLK55 with just 43,000 km's on the clock when I purchased it in November 2004....with a "Starmarque Warranty".

Within 4 months the car has been returned something like 6 times, these are some of the problems I’ve had.

!. Exterior Trim needed refitting.

2. Inspection /access flap hanging down from front passenger side.

3. No tool kit...Was told by the dealership the car didn't come with one so I supplied the part number and it was ordered.

4. Hesitation at around 1,000 rpm on steady throttle causing the car "Kangaroo" between 1,000 rpm and 1,700 rpm first time misdiagnosed as a MAF sensor turns out it was something to do with the EGR valve, still not 100% but I can live with it.

5. Some of the pixels in the instrument display not working.

6. Noisey rear brakes.

7. Damaged (cracked) front spoiler.

A second 116 point check was then requested.

8. Wheel wobble at + 90 km's...dealership rebalanced the wheels, still had the wobble, dealership rebalanced again, still had the wobble dealership replaced the front tyres, still had the wobble....so I jacked the front of the car up myself and checked for excessive movement and found the steering linkage to be worn!!!! this was found after a second 116 point check mind you.

9. Car broke down at dealership.....turns out only 2 strands of wire were attached on the earth cable between the gear box and the chassis.

10. Broken Fog light bracket.

11. Air Conditioner Compressor leaking oil.

All these things have been fixed, but now I have a rattle/knocking in the engine at around 1700 rpm, not diagnosed yet, oh boy!!! and this, with a car that was something like $200,000 new and has travelled less than 50,000 km's.

This is the second Benz I have owned the first a ’98 E320 was traded in on this car after about 8 months of ownership because of problems.

As they say .....Buyer Beware regardless of promises made and by whom.

Regards David

Previous cars....930 Turbo bullet proof, WRX ok but no character, XYGT nice sound at 5500, Austin 1800 don’t laugh they were great cars, the others not noteworthy enough to mention but at least they were reliable.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 AM

360 Spider
Originally Posted by rguy
Somebody please explain to me why so many don't want to be considered to be like the c55.
Because the CLK55 has no b-pillars and IMHO that is worth 15 large :p
Old 05-04-2005, 01:37 AM

2012 Cls 63 amg, 2006 Bmw M6
Originally Posted by DavidCLK55
Hi All,

Just thought I’d share my experience so far with a 2000 CLK55 with just 43,000 km's on the clock when I purchased it in November 2004....with a "Starmarque Warranty".

Within 4 months the car has been returned something like 6 times, these are some of the problems I’ve had.

!. Exterior Trim needed refitting.

2. Inspection /access flap hanging down from front passenger side.

3. No tool kit...Was told by the dealership the car didn't come with one so I supplied the part number and it was ordered.

4. Hesitation at around 1,000 rpm on steady throttle causing the car "Kangaroo" between 1,000 rpm and 1,700 rpm first time misdiagnosed as a MAF sensor turns out it was something to do with the EGR valve, still not 100% but I can live with it.

5. Some of the pixels in the instrument display not working.

6. Noisey rear brakes.

7. Damaged (cracked) front spoiler.

A second 116 point check was then requested.

8. Wheel wobble at + 90 km's...dealership rebalanced the wheels, still had the wobble, dealership rebalanced again, still had the wobble dealership replaced the front tyres, still had the wobble....so I jacked the front of the car up myself and checked for excessive movement and found the steering linkage to be worn!!!! this was found after a second 116 point check mind you.

9. Car broke down at dealership.....turns out only 2 strands of wire were attached on the earth cable between the gear box and the chassis.

10. Broken Fog light bracket.

11. Air Conditioner Compressor leaking oil.

All these things have been fixed, but now I have a rattle/knocking in the engine at around 1700 rpm, not diagnosed yet, oh boy!!! and this, with a car that was something like $200,000 new and has travelled less than 50,000 km's.

This is the second Benz I have owned the first a ’98 E320 was traded in on this car after about 8 months of ownership because of problems.

As they say .....Buyer Beware regardless of promises made and by whom.

Regards David

Previous cars....930 Turbo bullet proof, WRX ok but no character, XYGT nice sound at 5500, Austin 1800 don’t laugh they were great cars, the others not noteworthy enough to mention but at least they were reliable.
Holy crap that is alot of stuff! I hope I don't get into one of those bad deals with a used car! I have not had the chance to test drive the 05 clk 55, but I will this week. I will let you guys know first impressions. C55 was a monster!!! oh my goodness that car's engine is a beast literally that thing halls ***. I liked the handling on the car stiff amg springs nice. I loved the quad pipes in te back.......... Only problem.... felt too much like my current car and I hope I don't get flamed for this, but lacks a little personality because of that. I mean not many people really could tell I was driving something different unless they were enthusiasts. Good or bad thing depending on your opinion. However, to it's defense I have heard the same complaint from the w209 critics...... looks like a c class in the front and e class in the back, but if that car is anything like the c55 wow I can only imagine.......can't wait!!!!!!! But Overall excellent impression of the c55.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Go w208 CLK 55, and use the money you would have spent on the 209 to put a kleeman blower on it, i've seen this setup run 11-12 second quarters.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
i dont think it costs anymore to use bigger tips. it would just not look in proportion on a c-class to me. As is they look almost to big for an SLK55 to me.
Of course you're going to say that....you don't have them. If you had them then you would say...they're awesome!!

Old 05-04-2005, 11:30 AM

03 CLK55
Arrow I agree...

I can't really see what all the clamoring is about here. The w209 is a w203 chassis platform with a coupe body construction on it, that is no one has ever disagreed with me here. I am kind of suprised to see this kind of hating on the w203 amg. From the front glass forward, the car IS a w209 AMG. AMG plasma cuts the front off of the w203 and welds a w209 front end onto the edges of the firewall.

I don't know, same engine, same performance, same tranny, same front clip, same brakes, same wheels, same tires, anybody noticing a trend here? I could go on, but I don't think I want to run down all the common part numbers between the two. You guys paid the extra 15k for mostly image. You might have one or two extra features like automatic climate control, but we have everything else you do: nappa leather, black birdseye maple wood, steering wheel shifters, leather steering wheel, full leather seats, alcantara seat inserts, widescreen comand availability, voice activated and hands free mb phone, harmon kardon logic 7 stereo, 6cd changer in the glove compartment, auxillary input for mp3 players, embroidered plush amg mats, textured aluminized pedals, seat heaters, power seats, amg 200 mph and tach gauges blah, blah, blah, blah.

Somebody please explain to me why so many don't want to be considered to be like the c55. Personally, I think you guys overpaid, but then, that is why I bought my c55. I had a w208 and it looked good for its time, and it was arguably the best looking car that benz had produced up until that time. I mean that sincerely. I can't really say that about the w209. I think the lines are kind of awkward and I never even considered it because its looks didn't jive with my sense of beauty. Looks are obviously very subjective. Seriously though, do some of you guys really think that the c amg is inferior? If you do, have you seen/driven/sat in one? Not in pictures or magazine road tests mind you, but in the metal so to speak? Like I said, I am confused. I thought we were all one big happy family. I never would have started posting crap about your fraternal cars on my own, but somebody decided to make a stink.

If you'll note my thread, I specifically excluded the C55 from the CLK/C class comparison as they really are very similar. What my point has been was with comparing the CLK, and the CLK55 in particular against the other C classes. That's where I have to say that there are A LOT of differences. Different body, engine, interior, wheels, brakes, and even suspension (Although I imagine that the control arms and other links are the same). I think that some people may not realize that the "platform" is only the "floor" of the car, and that the CLK has a different body mounted on as well as the different interior, etc. I didn't realize how different the cars were until I had a C240 as a loaner car, and the two cars are as different as night and day. Again, note that I am not talking about the C55, which imho is a completely different beast than the other C classes. Also, just because two cars may look similar, as a few have remarked it doesn't mean that they're the same. Personally, I think the C55/CLK55 look a lot like an SL at first glance because of the same front fascia, but they're obviously different cars...

Lastly, it's not like the C class owners have anything to be embarassed about, nor am I suggesting that the C class cars are bad cars. I'm just saying that it's not the same as a CLK simply because it shares its platform. I mean how many different parts must there be for two cars to be different?

Best regards,
Matt
Old 05-04-2005, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by caliboy
I have decided to go and test drive all three cars w208 clk 55 w209 clk 55 and the c55 ........ I'm now leaning more towards the clk....
caliboy,
You will love the CLK55 W209 most.
Not many ppl want to pay 3 times more for a C-class
CLK55 with newer technology in all aspects, and has denoted a higher status symbol than the W208 and C55.
In my country, the price difference of CLK55 W209 and C55 is USD 30,000.
I had no choice because of financial.
After all, having had driven the C55 for almost 9 months with 11000 km on it. It is virtually zero problem.
So, if money is tight, get the C55, else get the CLK55 W209 full loaded.
To be frank, if you can afford a CLK55 W209 , I am surprise you will look at the CLK55 W208 which is a 8-10 year older technology car - no matter what kit you put on it , you will be like an old daddy if side-by-side with a W209.
Good luck
cnt
Old 05-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Of course you're going to say that....you don't have them. If you had them then you would say...they're awesome!!

uh dude, i already admitted to them being small on the C55.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:29 PM

I agree with Neal, the pipe tips would look poor on the car. And, Stiggs, if I wanted them, I would have them. Do you really think I can spend more than 60k on a car and not afford some tips? I actually was waiting for my E55 until I drove one, totally different story, the dealer had a CAMG on the lot and I tried it out. I then switched my order immediately. So money is not the issue for me. I could have bought "more car" but I didn't consider the money to be in scale with what you get and for my purposes liked the C best.

For AMG//Merc, no troubles about the c thing. I definitely think there is a big difference between a non-amg C sedan and the amg version. Personally, I think the differences are because different demographics are looking for different things.

I too believe that the C and CLK are different cars. Their exterior stylings have quite alot of differences, obvioulsy no B-pillars (which I don't personally like on this car, please no offense meant, it is just a personal thing, I do like how functional that can be though, just not the aesthetics of it), but all those differences weren't what I was pointing out. To me, it seemed like some people were suggesting that the clk amg was a much more superior car to the c amg. That didn't scan with me. One because I thought we all got along pretty well and had mutual respect, and two because I just don't think anyone can actually believe that. I can easily see liking one more than the other for subjective reasons, but not lightyears of differences. In my mind the CLK55 are peas in a pod, meaning they are closely related, but if you look closely you will notice every pea in a pod is different. The best automotive example for me is the difference between the M3 sedan and M3 coupe of yesteryears. They were different, to be sure, but underneath it all they were basically the same car. Most of the differences were slightly different tweaks and some different looks. I hope this clarifies my position.

Personally, I love it every time I see a CLK AMG (or any amg) because I know people are out there having fun. But remember (and this goes for all amg owners).....drive the damn things! Don't spend all this money and then only goose it once a year. That would be like buying a thoroughbred and using it for trail riding. Doesn't make sense does it? Take car guys.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
rguy WELL SAID!!

It's a Mercedes guys most people out there will never own one! They're all special even the OLD ones. Damn I've seen 280D's with 400000 miles on them still going strong! I personally love my CLK but any Mercedes is special and we all buy them (hopefully) to enjoy them, God knows I do!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:04 PM

Thanks Grant,

I love seeing the older cars that have the high mileage badges in the grills. I think it is cool someone has kept the car around that long. I think mercedes even has a million mile badge available to those who pass the big 1e6.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:39 PM

360 Spider
The C55 is a bad A$$ sedan that will smoke the E39 M5, nuff said!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:47 PM

03 CLK55
Red face I'm not trying to start a mutual admiration society, but we're on the same page.

I agree with Neal, the pipe tips would look poor on the car. And, Stiggs, if I wanted them, I would have them. Do you really think I can spend more than 60k on a car and not afford some tips? I actually was waiting for my E55 until I drove one, totally different story, the dealer had a CAMG on the lot and I tried it out. I then switched my order immediately. So money is not the issue for me. I could have bought "more car" but I didn't consider the money to be in scale with what you get and for my purposes liked the C best.

For AMG//Merc, no troubles about the c thing. I definitely think there is a big difference between a non-amg C sedan and the amg version. Personally, I think the differences are because different demographics are looking for different things.

I too believe that the C and CLK are different cars. Their exterior stylings have quite alot of differences, obvioulsy no B-pillars (which I don't personally like on this car, please no offense meant, it is just a personal thing, I do like how functional that can be though, just not the aesthetics of it), but all those differences weren't what I was pointing out. To me, it seemed like some people were suggesting that the clk amg was a much more superior car to the c amg. That didn't scan with me. One because I thought we all got along pretty well and had mutual respect, and two because I just don't think anyone can actually believe that. I can easily see liking one more than the other for subjective reasons, but not lightyears of differences. In my mind the CLK55 are peas in a pod, meaning they are closely related, but if you look closely you will notice every pea in a pod is different. The best automotive example for me is the difference between the M3 sedan and M3 coupe of yesteryears. They were different, to be sure, but underneath it all they were basically the same car. Most of the differences were slightly different tweaks and some different looks. I hope this clarifies my position.

Personally, I love it every time I see a CLK AMG (or any amg) because I know people are out there having fun. But remember (and this goes for all amg owners).....drive the damn things! Don't spend all this money and then only goose it once a year. That would be like buying a thoroughbred and using it for trail riding. Doesn't make sense does it? Take car guys.

I also have to say that had I known that the C55 would be coming so soon after I had gotten my CLK, I think I would have waited for the C55. For one, the C55 as well as the 05 CLK have the "direct control" handling upgrades, and from an outright performance viewpoint, if there's any advantage to be had between the two, the C55 would be the one to have it as it's slightly lighter than the CLK. Personally, I like the CLK's guage cluster and interior better, but not so much better that I would have bought it over the CLK. I also like the B-pillar delete, and it helps with lane changing as I have a clear view over my shoulder, but I don't like having passengers who have to twist and contort in order to get into the back seat. I could definitely stand to have four doors! I've also read that most four door bodies are more rigid because of the reinforced b-pillar, but I understand that the CLK uses alot of "HSLA" (High Srength, Low Alloy) steel that supposedly goes a long way to keeping the body rigid. That's a benefit that both cars that credit the prospect of keeping either car as a long-term project car. Either car, especially if they've been tastefully modded will always be a pretty cool car to have, and I like to think that both cars provide a solid base.

Anyway, I think I'll end this by saying that I don't see the C55 as a lesser car at all, and rather an equal...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 05-06-2005, 11:46 AM

Agreed. I never was really singling you out, just throwing it out there and trolling for more opinions.

Either car would definitely make a long term project car. Especially because the value, for whatever reason, keeps on dropping like a rock on these cars, so you must lease or keep for a long while. Leasing is the only short term option in my opinion because mercedes always overestimates the value of the car upon lease end. I saved seven thousand dollars on my last car that I traded in by leasing it. That's a lot of returnable to stock mod money (read: basically everything if you are competent).

I think I am going to do the blower very soon, and believe the blower will hold its resale value better than the car.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:45 PM

CLK55 over the C55 no doubt. I'm looking to get either a C55 or CLK 350 this fall and yes, 4 doors are good to have but I think I will get the CLK 350. Horsepower is not the main factor in my decisions. Critical options not available on the C55 are the main factor. Keyless Go....Bi Xenon headlights with Active Curve, Multicontor drivers seat are all not available on the C55 which is a damn shame
Old 05-08-2005, 10:10 PM

Keyless Go will give you more headaches than pleasure, as it just might be the most useless feature ever designed for a car. Anytime you are near your car it is unlocked as long as someone opens the door by the handle. The system has been very prone to problems, costs over a grand, and doesn't start the car any better than the key fob. When they were cool was on the first gen with the S and CL where it was a credit card shaped transponder that fit in your wallet's credit card slot. Now you just carry a regular looking key bulging in your pocket. The original reason for doing this was for fashion so that you could wear slacks with out having bunchy pockets. Another thing is if you have kids and leave the key anywhere in the car, your kids can start the car just by playing with the gearshift. I saw this happen on Unique Whips on SPEED network. The little kid accidentally started the SL and was well on his way to doing some dangerous stuff. So that is your choice, obviously, but I don't think it adds much wow factor. Heck, corvette has had that feature since at least the C4 25th anniversary edition in the eighties. They called them proximity locks or something like that.

Second, trust me when I say the Bi-Xenon headlights on the C55 are plenty bright and get all of the curve and to my knowledge they have passive cornering lights that come on when the car is turning. They may not move the main beams over to the roads curved, but honestly that just seems like another thing that is prone to break and is much more expensive to repair. Now you are talking about multi-hundred dollar headlight servos.

Multicontour seats aren't offered on the C because they come with more than adequate AMG sport seats. I had the multicontour seats on my CLK430 and they were not any more useful or comfortable than the seats I have now. The best part now is that anytime I have my car detailed or have valet parking done, I don't come back with my seat all out of wack, like somebody put a foot in my upper back because the person wasn't careful around the pneumatic controls when using the seatbelt or cleaning. Plus, guess what, no memory feature for the contour seats. They are nice if you have chronic back problems, but honestly, I find that the AMG sport seats have better thigh, and lateral supports, and very adequate lumbar support built in already. Plus, the alcantara suede inserts keep you planted in your seat through the corners unlike the multicontours that have no alcantara suede.

Now the CLK 350 you are picking over the C55 has a great v6 engine that is nearly as powerful as the old 430 was and if it has a seven speed, then it should be pretty fuel efficient too, but while we are on the subject, you will be giving up the full nappa leather interior which is worlds better than the simu-grain stock leather that has been used in other mercedes for years. For the first time ever (and i have owned a number of "leather" interior mercedes, my car feels like it has leather and not vinyl inside.

I wish you the best in getting the CLk350, I am sure you will be happy, but I am not sure that you are right about picking a clk350 over the c55. A clk55 I could see, but cross shopping the 55 with the clk350, just doesn't make a lot of sense. Kind of like cross shopping a M5 with a 3-series coupe.

Last edited by rguy; 05-08-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Mason00
CLK55 over the C55 no doubt. I'm looking to get either a C55 or CLK 350 this fall and yes, 4 doors are good to have but I think I will get the CLK 350. Horsepower is not the main factor in my decisions. Critical options not available on the C55 are the main factor. Keyless Go....Bi Xenon headlights with Active Curve, Multicontor drivers seat are all not available on the C55 which is a damn shame
The CLK350 is the most sensible choice, especially W203 C55 is now another year older closer to be replaced by the new C soon after S goes live this year.
Never invest on a top version of a fading out model. You will enjoy 7G-Tronic with 350 and more. I would get a CLK350 if time moves back 8 months.

But one thing I like to say ( otherwise AMG supporters will finger point me again ) - sensible car buying decision does not necessarily bring the driver new level of driving experience. CLK350 is surely for a sensible man and his loving girlfriend. If one thinks the C55 is just a car with a faster engine then it is wrong. The astonishing part about this car is a revolution of design and engineering to balance performance, handling and practical use. I would be very sad if I had to replace my classical CD music with a Porsche mid engine singing at my back side ( no matter how much Porsche claimed that their 997 engine sounds are like music notes). Now with C55, I can still feel and touch most of the stuff I used to have on the E320 W210 except I feel the car now is safer because I can overtake with big comfort, and even safer when I go downhill highway with the crawling feeling on. And, you know, I can occasionally teach good lessons to the proud S500, 330i flying like nobody on the fast lane just my two cents.

Last edited by cntlaw; 05-09-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:28 PM

2008 BMW 535i, 2007 335i, 2003 E320, 2007 Hayabusa
2002 CLK 55 w208 for the win.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by DemonaL
2002 CLK 55 w208 for the win.
Wow...someone was bored and decided to dig up an old thread!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BiTurboBenz
The C55 is a bad A$$ sedan that will smoke the E39 M5, nuff said!
are you kidding me?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
My $0.02

Go with the W208 clk
Old 05-23-2006, 08:06 AM

996 C4, previously owned 996 c2, c32 amg, 350z, R33 GTR, R34 GTR
In the Uk a CLK55 has twin pipes, the C55 has Quad

C55 it is and drive with all the windows down to compensate for the pillarless doors of the clk.

Plus CLK`s are for girls
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 AM

2005 CLK55
CLK55 2005+ has quad pipes