CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Went to the Track and Don't know how to Launch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by 430
I just leave the car in D and let the auto do its magic. It should not matter if you start out in 3, 4 or D as what you are doing is limiting the cars the car will run up to. You are not changing its shifting in anyway.

My goal is 12.8 or better while keeping the car stock.
In my opinion that is not true. Last night, which was the night before father's day I went to the illegal runs, and for those who don't know what that means, it's basically racing on a long industrial business area strip where five o is least likely to be at. A gutted integra turbo called me out, and I agreed to race him. I put my car on "m", took the ESP off and did a powerbrake to launch when I was in first gear. Now even though my car was heavier then his and he had a somewhat built turbo engine, I still took him on the launch. It fish-taled a tad bit but noticed I was pulling away more and more. When it would get near redline, I would shift gears. Now, the rush feeling you get when you beat a guy that calls you out is another story but I am telling you from my experience that leaving it on D is not the best way to go. Now I've raced out my bimmer, my del sol VTEC, and now my benzo, aI do consider myself with some racing knowledge.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by 430
Where's Chappy to chime in with some advice.
Chappy was 100 feet underwater in Curacao

As others have pointed out, ESP off and ease the power on consistently. Have fun!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
If you have an AMG car in M and wait to shift until you touch the redline you will hit the RPM limiter every time. M sounds like a great idea on the drag strip but it really is not. If you are looking for consistency I have found by leaving it in D and then manually selecting 1st gear it shifts at the optimal point in every gear.

M results in an ocasional jerky shift from bouncing off of the rev limiter.

Enjoy

Schiz
Old 06-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

03' CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Schiznick
If you have an AMG car in M and wait to shift until you touch the redline you will hit the RPM limiter every time. M sounds like a great idea on the drag strip but it really is not. If you are looking for consistency I have found by leaving it in D and then manually selecting 1st gear it shifts at the optimal point in every gear.

M results in an ocasional jerky shift from bouncing off of the rev limiter.

Enjoy

Schiz
You don't wait till it starts bouncing at redline to shift gears, you shift gears right before it redlines. If you do it right, it won't do what you were describing Schiznick, it would be a smooth, clean upshift. If you know what your car redlines at, shift it 300-500 rpm before that and you will never get a jerky shift from bouncing off of the rev limiter.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:28 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by Chappy
Chappy was 100 feet underwater in Curacao

As others have pointed out, ESP off and ease the power on consistently. Have fun!

Very cool how was the diving? Any photos?

My experience with the AMG is that it is much better to let it do the shifting. Nothing was gained by shifting yourself. If you want that get a Stick.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by 430
My experience with the AMG is that it is much better to let it do the shifting. Nothing was gained by shifting yourself. If you want that get a Stick.
Ditto that.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
I find that it takes the car too long to change gears after I bump the shifter in either direction. The only use I see shifting for is slowing the car down. It is also nice in twisties, but to each his own.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Almost a Member!

03' CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by 430
Agreed, but since Mercedes don't make AMGs with stick, I'm gonna have to settle with their AMG speedshift since I set my goal on purchasing one of these bad boy for my next car.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by M1M2M3
I find that it takes the car too long to change gears after I bump the shifter in either direction.
That's been my experience. I get *much* better times letting the car upshift automatically; if I wait until it's close to redline in 1st or 2nd gear and then bump the shift lever to upshift, it definitely shifts noticeably slower.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Improviz
That's been my experience. I get *much* better times letting the car upshift automatically; if I wait until it's close to redline in 1st or 2nd gear and then bump the shift lever to upshift, it definitely shifts noticeably slower.
ditto as well