CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Got nice Chrome Gauge and Shift Rings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55
Got nice Chrome Gauge and Shift Rings

I found some quality chrome shift and gauge cluster rings. The shift rings came from BMWMB on ebay.

The gauge cluster rings came from www.OemEuroDirect.com

Some nice and good priced add-ons. Made the car look so much better.

If you want to know how to install after purchasing let me know.

The dash cluster unit just slids out. It just takes a little work.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash removal

GregC,

i too have purchased the dash rings--

how do you remove the dash and open it up ?

i also bought the chrome shift pattern and gear frame--
any instructions on how to remove these as well ?

please cut/paste you replies to lguapo1300@hotmail...

thanx
Old 07-03-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Install For Gauge Rings

Website: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...sp?tid=1231910

Note: This is a summary of what others have posted:

(1) Lower the steering wheel.

Option One:
(2) The entire cluster slides out as a unit. The best... remove lower dash panel, push IC out from behind. Underneath the steering wheel/above where your legs/thighs go while driving there is a compartment, remove the cover and if you stick your hand up in there you can push the cluster out from behind. (And you can just remove the 2 bolts under the dash, the cover of the steering column, and reach your hand in and shove the cluster out if you want too.)

(3) That entire circular unit slides into the dash downward and back. When you get it out it will have 2 connectors. They are really simple once you figure them out. You should see a blue or grey plastic piece that goes over the connector (these are a Level like connector). The level (plastic piece) automatically extracts the connector. Once you find the little piece to pull up on it, it just slides out of the socket. Put back in the same way.

(4) Note that 4 tabs hold the clear plastic on the 4 corners. You can easily lift the clear plastic tab with a flat-head screwdriver on all 4 and off the clear plastic will come. Note that the 2 place warning light covers will slide out of place. That is the hardest part in putting it back together.

(5) The rings have glue on the backside and just stick on.

Option 2:
However, you can also remove the cluster with the MB cluster removal tools. its easy... there is a tool you can buy, or make with tough metal clothes hangers...basically, there is a hook (the tool itself is pretty cheap... around $20 for the set part # 140589023300) at the end of a rob about 6-10 inches long... you place this tool at the left & right bottom edges, once the hook locks in place, you just pull straight out. But, some have recommend against using the tool on a CLK because the dash material is very susceptible to rips.

I have not completed the process above so I can't speak to using the tool or removing the dash other ways. The reason is that many who have removed the dash have lost light pixles on their dash, which is not worth it to me because of the replacement cost.

Can anyone speak to this issue?