CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

amg wheel or wood wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2005 | 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
amg wheel or wood wheel?

i wanna know what your guys opinion/preference is with regards to steering wheels in the amgs. do you prefer the stock amg leather ergonomic wheel? did you swtich to wood? regular wood or ergonomic wood? if you kept amg, why? if you switched, why?
Old 09-14-2005 | 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
BklynBenz,

First off, I think it's very cool that you are so close to joining the AMG fraternity!

Now, as to your question, I have kept the stock wheel for two reasons:

(1) Cost. It's pricey to get a nice, fat, Brabus or Kleemann wood/leather wheel. But, I think they look great and are a nice addition to any W208!

(2) Without driving gloves, it's easier to grip a leather-wrapped wheel than a wood or wood/leather combo during spirited driving.

As an aside, I would have been tempted by an F1 Safety Car/Medical Car wheel in Alcantara, had they been available to U.S. customers. However, I only saw them for the W203 and W209s. They were damned expensive too

If you really wanna get custom, contact www.mattes-interieur.de. They'll make you anything you want!
Old 09-22-2005 | 08:02 PM

Wood is for the martini crowd who talk but don't do. They need the extra wood to remind them of how successful they think they are.

The stock AMG wheel has the 10 and 2 o'clock bulbs to hang on to. That's what a real driver wants.
Old 09-23-2005 | 01:41 AM

mercedes
i have the wood and leather steering wheel in my w208, it's sick, i love the feel of that wood when you're just cruising . . . stock is nice too, the indents at 10 and 2 are good, make you feel like you're driving in the indy500 . . . but i just like the feel of the wood better, and the dark colour is just plain sexy . . .
Old 09-23-2005 | 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by skytop
Wood is for the martini crowd who talk but don't do. They need the extra wood to remind them of how successful they think they are.

The stock AMG wheel has the 10 and 2 o'clock bulbs to hang on to. That's what a real driver wants.

FWIW, the Brabus and Kleemann wheels that have leather and wood also have the 10/2 o'clock bulbs.