CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55 Roll Call (2006)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006 | 09:27 PM

W208
Hi Cindyclk, cool quad look. Can you give more details on how it was done?
Old 01-21-2006 | 09:44 AM

The tough part was having the bumper cover modified. I took it off following directions on a thread on the benz world site (real easy if you are adventurous...fold back inner liner...9 bolts and it's off...do a search for rear bumper by thrillkill). Most body shops did not want to touch the modification because they said that they could not plastic weld. I found a place in RI (http://www.jjbumpers.com/) that sells a lot on ebay. All they do is repair bumpers for body shops. They exactly copied my OEM cutout on the left and fabricated a duplicate mirror cutout on the right. I'm fussy and I can not tell that it is not original. I got the AMG tips from a MB member(he has another AMG set but not the same 2002 tip). I wanted original tips so that they would match the left side. I welded them to a plate that I fabricated (has the profile of a muffler looking from the rear). I then attached the assembly to the back side of the spare wheel well. It took a little time to get the right alignment but not difficult. I primed everything and covered the plate with undercoating to match the bottom of spare tire well. Almost forgot...had to cut off the tow bar (easy cut...never hook anything to it...it came off in 30 seconds)

Last edited by cindyclk; 01-21-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2006 | 04:39 PM

AMG GTS
cool. but...

CINDYCLK, I love the look and would love to get it done to my 2000, gives it real presence from the rear.
One question that puzzles me though..
With mine i often get smoke from the rear pipes, not blue smoke, but that cold morning thing.
Do you get that too, and if so, does it not look wierd only coming from the one side.

Still think it's a cool look though :-)
Old 01-21-2006 | 04:58 PM

After it warms up, only another CLKer notices!
Old 01-21-2006 | 06:40 PM

W208
Originally Posted by cindyclk
The tough part was having the bumper cover modified. I took it off following directions on a thread on the benz world site (real easy if you are adventurous...fold back inner liner...9 bolts and it's off...do a search for rear bumper by thrillkill). Most body shops did not want to touch the modification because they said that they could not plastic weld. I found a place in RI (http://www.jjbumpers.com/) that sells a lot on ebay. All they do is repair bumpers for body shops. They exactly copied my OEM cutout on the left and fabricated a duplicate mirror cutout on the right. I'm fussy and I can not tell that it is not original. I got the AMG tips from a MB member(he has another AMG set but not the same 2002 tip). I wanted original tips so that they would match the left side. I welded them to a plate that I fabricated (has the profile of a muffler looking from the rear). I then attached the assembly to the back side of the spare wheel well. It took a little time to get the right alignment but not difficult. I primed everything and covered the plate with undercoating to match the bottom of spare tire well. Almost forgot...had to cut off the tow bar (easy cut...never hook anything to it...it came off in 30 seconds)
Very nice!
Old 01-23-2006 | 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
I like it looks very nice and well done.