CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Road Rally Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E (1995 crystal clear head,corner and taillights,lowered,S600 grill,blk AMG rims 18",tint)
Road Rally Car

Hi All, I have viewed your forums for some time and decided to join a few months ago. No doubt the best MB forum out there. Now, on to the pressing question. My wife and I are going to participate in several road rallies in 07, to include the players run and dynasty VIP run, possibly a few others over the years. We will buy a car that will be used on the rallies and for occasional driving in between. The cars we are concidering range from a CLK55 AMG (W208), Porsche 911 (996), or a BMW (hope thats not a curse word here!) M3. We have also concidered a four door, E55, M5 or Audi RS6. I will be happy to do bolt on modifications to pick up the slack if the car is great but lacking in a certain area.

With that knowledge, I was hoping for a few opinions. What car do you think would be a great road rally car? We will no doubt test drive all of these models, but does anyone have experience/ input with any of these vehicles? Any other suggestions? I certainly dont want to start arguments over which car is THE BEST, just looking for a few opinions and real life experiences to reference.

I (we) are looking for a great performance car that has the potential to be modified as time permits. It will have to be somewhat comfortable, as we will be covering 3000 mile distances in a matter of a week, but we are certainly not looking for a Luxo car here. Great performance, killer looks, fun to drive, thats not asking much is it.

A little background. My wife and I purchased our first mercedes (an E class) and I swear I will never drive anything but a german car again. After owning everything from Infinities to Navigators to Lexus, we finally foung our passion. MB sedans rule! The new (used) car that we are currenly looking for will be used for car rallies and occasional driving in between. What do you think? Any input/ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all!! Joe
Old 03-23-2006, 06:02 PM

2005 CLK DTM, 2004 GT3RS, 2002 G500
i have done players run and bullrun before, It was great . Biggest problem on those rallies are luggage. You need to have a trunk space big enough to hold a week long trip. You wanna cruise or haul *** during the rally? . I would say the best is Bullrun and get something over 400hp to catch up with other suckers. You need a reliable car to speed and turn the engine on next morning.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 GL450, 2009 G55 Mocha Black with Cognac Interior, 08 911 Turbo Cab, 08 CLK63 Black Series
I guess it all depends how serious you take this road rally race. I don't want to assume anything but historically rally cars have been preferrably 4 wheel drive and super lightweight. If you are just touring then go with any of the ones you mentioned, all fun, if its a true rally, go with something like a suped up and stripped down RS6 or RS4. Think lightweight and flexible too. The CLK55 is in my opinion one of the worlds best touring cars for the money but the M3 is manual, and that is without question preferred when racing. I don't race so I chose my CLK55 (soon to be CLK55K ;-))

Learso

Last edited by Learso; 03-23-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Totally depends on your budget...I think Kimble ran a modded CL600 once.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
m5
its fast, handles, well, roomy, luxurious and its a STICK