CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Edmunds CLK63 AMG cab review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Edmunds CLK63 AMG cab review

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=110099

It's not completely perfect
The AMG-tuned SpeedShift transmission is aptly named. Not only does it upshift quickly, it also does so smoothly by momentarily breathing the throttle between gears. But what it doesn't do is rev-match for downshifts, even when using the new-for-'07 metal paddles in manual mode. A skilled driver can manage to do just that, however, by blipping the throttle between gears, just after requesting a downshift, so why can't the software?

Then you reach a corner and it all goes to hell. Sure, the new brakes are tremendous, the suspension is sport-bred firm (but not punishing), and the Pirelli P Zero tires maintain heroic levels of grip, but the CLK's steering rack seems to have been overlooked in the AMG upgrade.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
I wouldn't say that we would not agree with their comments after driving the car BUT after meeting many auto journalists, I am not at all impressed with their ability to accurately depict what a car is doing.

With all of the seat time that they get driving the latest econo boxes and mini vans, I am suprised that they make these comments at all from the spirited driving they are used to doing.

I cracks me up when the majority of auto journalists get behine the wheel of a Ferrari, Lambo or AMG and then transform into "Super Race Driver."

Again, not flaiming ALL Auto journalist as some of them have legitamate track time but most are far better writers than drivers.

Why not pair them up with a real driver and let them articulate what is really going on.

Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
The rack and pinion steering disapoints, eh?

Maybe AMG should go back to the worm system used on the 208. That steering got good press reviews upon its introduciton, only to be later dissed. It seems that auto journalists owe their advertisers a duty to diss whatever has been replaced.

I find on my 208 55 CLK that the worm turns very well indeed.

True, it has a traditional MB "luxury" feel (read numb). But it is damn easy to point and shoot, leaving you to concentrate on the road and the g-forces. Kind of like the way a Colt 45 let's you concentrate on who's coming over the top of the trench.

BTW I saw the 63 at the Geneva show. The engine is awesome. But MB still has the annoying habit of shrouding half of it in plastic. It's better plastic than before, but still plastic.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
i think that they just need to make the steering "heavier" it just seems that the new mbz steering is kinda dull feeling.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
They said it'll be around $85,000. I'm very very tempted...however, the new CLK platform should be coming out within the next 2 years...so its probably best to just wait for that and then get the AMG.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
very disappointing CLK63 based on this review , i wish someone here ill buy one and tell us the truth