CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG cross drilled vs. flat rotor brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 GL450, 2009 G55 Mocha Black with Cognac Interior, 08 911 Turbo Cab, 08 CLK63 Black Series
AMG cross drilled vs. flat rotor brakes

As some of you know I am doing some upgrades to my W208. In looking further into a possible upgrade from my present brake system to the new AMG cross-drilled set up I found that the improvement, if any, does not justify the upgrade IMO. I wanted to shared with you a quote from a recent email of the dealer that sold me my car. These people are the largest privately own dealer in the US of MB and therefore know enough to offer a good opinion. Interesting if anything. My question was if I could go with a new AMG made cross-drilled brake system for my W208 using 18' wheels:

"Ok, a few different opinions on this one. Mercedes does not produce a cross drilled rotor/caliper for your vehicle, therefore I cannot give you a definate answer. That is the generic response I get from most people because they don't want to be held accountable for saying yes without looking at the car. Go figure...but guess what...there are a number of techs here that if I ask real nice they will give me the information I'm looking for .

Yes, if you have 18 inch wheels they will fit; however the calipers most likely will not mount to the spindel in the right place. There are specific mounting points where the caliper mounts on, and the cross drilled rotors and calipers probably have a different mounting point. (They do with Mercedes AMG rotors anyway).

I honestly don't think you need the upgraded brakes. The AMG flat surface rotors you have are incredible, and should be able to handle the upgrades without a problem. The cross drilled rotors are different in a few ways:
they have holes in them...designed for cooling the brakes. We find this is not an extremely efficient design. The dust from the brake pads gets caught up in these holes and eventually clogs them...defeating the purpose. As far as the diagonal lines cut into them, this is designed to clean the surface of the brake pads. Somewhat effective, but causes the problem with the holes getting clogged. Like I said, those flat surface rotors are amazing.
The only way you may want to upgrade is if you plan on racing the car."

Hope this adds value to someone.

Learso
Old 04-25-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 C230, '02 CLK55 (sold)
I’ve always liked the ATe Gas-Slotted Rotors. I ran them on my M5 and they worked far better than the X-Drilled… The X-drilled tend to warp under hard driving applications. Truth be told, the biggest single upgrade to your AMG’s breaking system is SS-lines that will eliminate break fade and “Soft peddle”

Just my $ .02

Last edited by whitepony; 04-25-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
My opinion from lots of track time

Learso,

I have solid rotors from Frozen rotors on my 911 that were gas slotted. They are fantastic. Almost no signs of ware in 8 years.

I had Wilwood 6 piston big brake kit on my WRX with non - slotted or cross drilled rotors. Worked PERFECTLY with out fade or over heating.

I have seen rotors crack that were crossdrilled. The difference in drilled rotors is this. The rotors you see from the factory on MB and Porsches are actually cast with the holes in tem they are much stronger. Just cross drilling a solig rotor gives you the same look but actually weakens them.

Some of the best money I ever spent was getting my factory Porsche rotors done by Diversified Cryogenics. I have already checked they have stuff for our W208 CLK55. I ad stainless lines on both the 911 and the WRX. Most importantly upgrade your brake fluid to ATE Super Blue racing fluid. I love this stuff.

Owen
Old 04-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 GL450, 2009 G55 Mocha Black with Cognac Interior, 08 911 Turbo Cab, 08 CLK63 Black Series
I agree about the SS brake lines, a no brainer. Any SS lines will do right, they don't have to be brand name I imagine. The brake fluid I will also look into, thanks for the info.

L.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 C230, '02 CLK55 (sold)
Owen,

The rotors from Diversified Cryogenics? are they Cryogenicly treated for friction before they are sold?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
White Pony,

Yes they are. They have alot of rotors in stock or you can send your own to them and they will treat them as well. They do have applications for our W208 CLK55. Be sure to tell them it is the CLK55 we have much bigger brakes than stock W208.

I have several week end track events on my 911 and the rotors barely show any ware. I have changed pads 3 times. Check them out on line. Great people.

Owen