CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Suspension advice for the CLK55 (W209)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake P
I highly doubt your trip to San Jose would be longer than my trip to San Jose from Fresno. Trust me, the added comfort of knowing my car is being worked on by professionals who know their sh*t and aren't just following an instruction manual is well worth my time and money.
Blake...Are you coming to the next GTG..
Old 07-26-2006, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by CarLAB
Blake...Are you coming to the next GTG..
Has one been set up yet?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Darwin - Thanks for your help and sorry to bother you w/ these problems when I called you yesterday. I appreciate the help. They just called me this morning and wheels/tires fit fine after height was adjusted in the front, so no spacers were needed. They just finished alignment and road testing and everything is okay. I'll be picking it up after work. After 4 days of waiting, I'm glad.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mcbaes72
Darwin - Thanks for your help and sorry to bother you w/ these problems when I called you yesterday. I appreciate the help. They just called me this morning and wheels/tires fit fine after height was adjusted in the front, so no spacers were needed. They just finished alignment and road testing and everything is okay. I'll be picking it up after work. After 4 days of waiting, I'm glad.
I am glad that i can help you. Enjoy your car PSS9 is a great suspension setup.

Regards

Darwin W
Old 07-27-2006, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Awesome, can't wait for pics!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:01 PM

Before and after pics...

Okay, after 4 days in the shop w/ problems arising like front chrome wheels won't balance and need to be repaired to deciding whether to fix it (which will take a few more days) or not to overnighting a new set of wheels to the shop to the tech not sure if it'll clear because the front wheel is touching the spring, etc.

Finally, I can say that I'm even more proud to be an AMG owner (even if it is the wifey's car) because after the PSS9s (front and rear set at 5), H&R sways and new wheels (chrome center caps are on the wheels since TireRack forgot to send me silver ones) were installed, the car is lower (about 1.2"), drives flat around turns and really feels more like a sports luxury coupe. The wifey will need time to adjust to the new stiffer suspension, but shouldn't take her long since she came from a lowered IS300. Heck, now it corners waaay better than my S4...on top of her CLK55 already being faster off the line, more hp/torque, etc. I really need to mod my car now, but maybe not 'til next year. I'll try to behave and be patient.

As for the extra parts I have, I posted an ad in the MB Classifieds for the wheels. But I decided not to sell the suspension and just keep them in the garage for now. If we ever sell the CLK55, we may put the original springs/shocks back on.

Anyway, enough talk, here's the before and after pics as promised (they were taken early this morning, so it's still cloudy).
Attached Thumbnails Suspension advice for the CLK55 (W209)-2003_mb_clk_55_amg_june_2006_001.jpg   Suspension advice for the CLK55 (W209)-bilstein_pss9s_and_amg_5-spoke_171s_003.jpg   Suspension advice for the CLK55 (W209)-06.jpg   Suspension advice for the CLK55 (W209)-bilstein_pss9s_and_amg_5-spoke_171s_004.jpg  

Last edited by mcbaes72; 07-28-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Okay, after 4 days in the shop w/ problems arising like front chrome wheels won't balance and need to be repaired to deciding whether to fix it (which will take a few more days) or not to overnighting a new set of wheels to the shop to the tech not sure if it'll clear because the front wheel is touching the spring, etc.

Finally, I can say that I'm even more proud to be an AMG owner (even if it is the wifey's car) because after the PSS9s (front and rear set at 5), H&R sways and new wheels were installed, the car is lower (about 1.2"), drives flat around turns and really feels more like a sports luxury coupe. Heck, now it corners waaay better than my S4...on top of being faster off the line, more hp/torque, etc. I really need to mod my car now, but maybe not 'til next year. I'll try to behave and be patient.

Anyway, enough talk, here's the before and after pics as promised.
The drop turned out great. The before pictures look like the damn car was lifted. The best part is...you can always go lower!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM

The drop turned out great. The before pictures look like the damn car was lifted. The best part is...you can always go lower!
Thanks! Yeah, after the install and driving it around town and on the freeway, it's like night and day w/ the new suspension set up. It kinda does look lifted before, but that may be because it's on my driveway sloping upward. On even ground, it looks better. I don't know about going lower though, but yes, the option is always there.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:27 PM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
Looks great! The car looks much more agressive now. Are you going to tint the windows?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:04 PM

CLK 500, IS250 AWD
nice wheels mcbaes. it looks a lot more agressive!
good decision, it looks awesome

hmm. maybe i shouold get these wheels on my clk..
Old 07-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jaki
Looks great! The car looks much more agressive now. Are you going to tint the windows?
Thanks! Yeah, since it's lower, it does have a much more aggressive stance, I agree. As for tinting, yes that's our last mod on it. I did treat the seats w/ Lexol (clean and condition) recently, but I know that's not enough. Even the wifey wants it tinted....soon, too. We're probably looking at either 35% or 20% tint.

BTW, did you find any blk CLK55s yet? I gave a few suggestions on other sites to check out in your thread.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by buzz888
nice wheels mcbaes. it looks a lot more agressive!
good decision, it looks awesome

hmm. maybe i shouold get these wheels on my clk..
Thanks! Yeah, I think it looks more aggressive, too, yet still look classy. I appreciate it.

Well, if you do go to 18s w/ the AMG 171s that I have, TireRack has them on closeout sale. I bought them for about $1650 + S&H (no tax). They're only 1-pc. cast wheels though. If you can afford to buy forged wheels, I recommend going that route instead. Also, I recommend Goodyear F1 GS-D3 or Michelin Pilot PS2s for summer tires.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Thanks! Yeah, since it's lower, it does have a much more aggressive stance, I agree. As for tinting, yes that's our last mod on it. I did treat the seats w/ Lexol (clean and condition) recently, but I know that's not enough. Even the wifey wants it tinted....soon, too. We're probably looking at either 35% or 20% tint.

BTW, did you find any blk CLK55s yet? I gave a few suggestions on other sites to check out in your thread.
Last mod?...you just started! Go with 35% tint on the sides and 20% rear. You need this CF lip bro. https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/156717-4-c55-carbon-fiber-lips-stock-ready-ship.html
Old 07-28-2006, 09:34 PM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
I think 20% would look better. I have 35% front and 20% rear on my 350Z, and the 35% looks a little too light in direct sunlight.

Yeah, I found one up in Chicago at another dealership. I'm just waiting for the dealer's response to see if we get something going, since someone has a deposit on it already. He said he's supposed to get another black one next week or the week after that, so I might have to wait just a little longer. He has a few in stock in another color, but I'll rather wait a little longer and be a little more patient and then get the color I really want. I'll update the other thread when I hear something. Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:42 AM

Last mod?...you just started! Go with 35% tint on the sides and 20% rear. You need this CF lip bro. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156717
I showed it to the Mrs., but she didn't care for it. Personally, I like it myself, but it's not my call since it's her car. Good suggestion though.

As for the tint advice, I may just do that. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
BUMP:

OP, did you need spacers to make the coilovers fit? And is the picture the Pss9 at the lowest setting?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
BUMP:

OP, did you need spacers to make the coilovers fit? And is the picture the Pss9 at the lowest setting?
I don't have this car anymore, but IIRC, PSS9s fit fine w/ no additional parts to make it fit. Also, it wasn't at its lowest setting. But you wouldn't want it too low, more prone to scraping/rubbing. I had it installed to improve handling and remove the gap.