CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2 CLK55 Cabs for sale and my impressions of 209

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55
2 CLK55 Cabs for sale and my impressions of 209

At Ewing Autohouse in Dallas (Plano?) TX I spied two used CLK55 cabs for sale. A black w/ nav with I think 10K miles and a silver w/ nav w/ 3K? (don't qoute me I was more interested in checking out the new CLK - but I thought I'd pass this on.)

If interested - ask for Kevin Hampton - he was my original salesperson. http://www.ewingautohaus.com/

So I got to check out the new CLK - there was a 320 and a 500. The 320 was not a looker (kinda like the 208 320). After seeing all the pictures I thought the interior was going to make me envious. To my surprise it wasn't that much "better" really. I don't like the "thumbs" on the stearing wheel and I didn't like the anolog clock on the main intrument panel - I'd rather have more gauges regarding the engine (oil temp / pressure, etc) than a big analog clock taking the left third of the center cluster.

I was also surprised that the headroom was just as bad on the new 209 as the 208. I thought they had picked up more headroom for the over 6' driver, but maybe it was just in the back seat. I like the nappa leather in my 55 much better over the standard leather. Windows controls move to the driver doors - I kinda liked the long standing tradition of putting them in the center console. Even my mom's 83 300SD has them there - very familiar feeling.

The best feature has to be the b-pillarless profile - very CL-esq though it is a much smaller car. OK, the front calipers are way cool - I'll give props to that as well. I'm all for over-engineering.

They did have a black CLK500 and I thought the contrast was as dramatic as the 208 from a 320 to a 430. The body kit makes the car look like a Mercedes vs an Acura. The front end treatment has a black rice-like wire mesh grill that is pretty tastefully done(really!). If you catch the 320 car from a rear 3/4 angle (remove the rear badges) - it looks like an acura / volvo C-70 something. From the front - it's a benz.

The 208 wins on the brawny side (430/55), the 209 looks more slippery wind tunnel designed at the expense of it's muscle car character. The 209 seemed awfully small for some reason standing 6 feet back compared to my 208. Can't put my finger on it - just looks smaller.

I walked away feeling pretty OK about my 55. Still pretty rare and not going to be significantly outgunned by any other benz without a 5.5 w/ a supercharger.

~shell
13.7@107
2001 CLK55
Old 08-23-2002, 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HHmm so i guess the W208 is still the best CLK ever.