CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Anybody have 19" rears and 18" fronts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450
Anybody have 19" rears and 18" fronts?

I'm looking for larger wheels for my CLK55 AMG, I was thinking about 19" rears and 18" fronts.
This may not be the right thing to do? I'm open to suggestions.
What is the best fitting wheel size for the CLK55?
If you could post pic's that would be great!
Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-31-2002, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
Cars like the C5 Corvette that have 17 front 18 back setup also have a different rolling diameter front vs. rear. Since the CLK has the same rolling diameter, i think it might look a little funny since the profile of your tires would be different. However, if you changed the profile of the tire (and along with that comes rolling diameter), it might look better. I just cant see that setup on anything but a true sports car, not a luxury coupe. If you have a picture of your car, you could always photoshop it and get an idea what it would look like.

Good Luck,
Eric
Old 09-01-2002, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Originally posted by Petie
Cars like the C5 Corvette that have 17 front 18 back setup also have a different rolling diameter front vs. rear. Since the CLK has the same rolling diameter, i think it might look a little funny since the profile of your tires would be different. However, if you changed the profile of the tire (and along with that comes rolling diameter), it might look better. I just cant see that setup on anything but a true sports car, not a luxury coupe. If you have a picture of your car, you could always photoshop it and get an idea what it would look like.

Good Luck,
Eric
Eric,
I was looking thru tire charts and evaluating the tire O.D's (outer diamiter) sizes. Trying to keep the O.D as close to stock as possible.
Changing Rim diameter sizes only puts a larger hole in the middle of the tire, if you can maintain the right O.D. Keeping that in mind, it shouldn't effect the cars ESP or handling. Other than a stiffer side wall changes the ride and provides a more positive steering responce. Also giving the car a slight rake look.
I wanted to see what others have done. I've heard that there may be a rubbing problem if you change the wheel size?
Rubbing is not acceptable, even the slightest rub isn't acceptable to me.
Tires are the only thing between you and the road. I can't express enough the improtance of having the proper tires on a vehicle.
Maybe some one will post a few pic's of different wheel sizes on there CLK's?
Thanks for you input,
Tim
Old 09-01-2002, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
thats true, i dont think i did a very good job explaining my point. My point is that with different size wheels on the front and back, the profile of your tires would be different. The rolling diameter could be kept slightly larger but very close to stock, but you would have less tire between the wheel and the road on the back than you would on the front. This would work fine, i was just questioning if it would make the car look more aggressive or just make the front rim look small. You can search the archives and find pictures of CLKs with 18s and 19s in many different styles, but ive never seen one with two different sizes of rim. If you decide to do it, or find a picture or photoshop one, id like to see what it looks like. Good luck.

Eric
Old 09-01-2002, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Originally posted by Petie
thats true, i dont think i did a very good job explaining my point. My point is that with different size wheels on the front and back, the profile of your tires would be different. The rolling diameter could be kept slightly larger but very close to stock, but you would have less tire between the wheel and the road on the back than you would on the front. This would work fine, i was just questioning if it would make the car look more aggressive or just make the front rim look small. You can search the archives and find pictures of CLKs with 18s and 19s in many different styles, but ive never seen one with two different sizes of rim. If you decide to do it, or find a picture or photoshop one, id like to see what it looks like. Good luck.

Eric
Eric,
Your point is well taken. And finding tires that maintain the stock OD with large ID’s is difficult. I'll probably do what everyone else is doing. Just looking for the right look, and performance.
I’ll post my findings.
Thanks,
Tim