CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK63 questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Z06
CLK63 questions...

Okay, so my CLS63 got hit and I am getting another car. I feel the need for open air and I am considering a CLK63. A few questions:

1-Since it is a soft top, I fear wind noise. I love how quiet my CLS63 is. Your opinion?
2-Power. What's the difference in my CLS63 and CLK63 motors? How can I get the CLK63 up to the 507hp?
3-Value? Do they hold well?
4-Is the back seat a back seat, or an insurance seat? FYI- I'll be up front and I'm only 5 10 and 150 lbs and so is my buddy. Also, the girls that would be in the back are 5 2 and 100 pounds. Is there headroom with the top up?
5-Is there a hardtop overlay offered?
6-Is the top on the inside suede?

Thanks, and any other input is GREATLY appreciated.

Matthew Haynes
Old 10-10-2006, 06:28 PM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
Honestly, I wouldn't go for the CLK63. The CLS is in a different class, and in my opinion the 209 doesn't do much in the styling department. If you'e in the market for a drop top 4 seater, I'd go for the M6 vert. I would stick with getting another CLS63/E63 or the only "bimmer" worth getting M6.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
I personally (from looking at all the other AMG CLKs) don't think they will hold their value, which does make them great used buys.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 CLK55, IWC CLS55 AMG(one of 55), 07 Honda CR-V 4WD
Value-wise no. Performance-wise Yes. CLK AMG now does not have 100+ bhp gap compared to other AMGs like 55 lines before. CLK AMG now is truly a monster with stock hp 487hp with 7G. Do not buy CLK63 for a show-off purpose. It's a real fun car to push around among AMGs. I mean you should have seen the people's faces when N/A tuned CLK55 passes other high-end cars above 120mph in a straight line + curves. If I were to buy another CLK, it would be a CLK DTM and I will have too much fun. For your daily car, Buy E63. CLS makes me feel that I am in a very tight place. That's why CLS IWC has less than 1000miles even though I bought it 7 months ago.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 PM

I have owned one for a month or so now.

Wind noise...nothing to fear.

Power... Is good at 487 or so. To increase power I guess you could chip/tune it for $1400. The exhaust sounds good, I wouldn't change it, but I noticed the coupe has exhaust tips on both sides of the car. Intake look well thought out and looks to me like it get good air. As is it is quick and doesn't hold the inside line as much what I call a sporting standard, yet it is easily correctable with steering. I think the Contenential tire sidewalls have too much flex. I have asked about lowering but no leads other tan changing springs.

Value...Seems 8k off MSRP is the deal. Long term...maybe another member will comment. Buy it and drive it/ enjoy.

Back seat fits adults.

Hardtop - not OEM as far as I know.

Suede, you know I never noticed and the car is not with me to look up to the roof.

I think the styling is very nice and it is a great four seat drop top. The trunk is good sized too. I have the aluminum trim (desireable over wood). I'd also order the Bi Xeon (sp) headlight option (I do not have it) and make sure you get the telephone all set up. Installing and purchasing a phone is not for the weak, I hate to write it but the dealer should be the one to get your phone going...just write them a check.

My dislikes are the Harmon Kardon stereo. This stereo is not made for classic rock....it is the worst stereo I have owned in thirty years. Nobody seems to know how to upgrade it either. Also the easy exit only lifts the steering wheel and does not move the seat back.

My wife just loves the car and when I drive the CLK it has familiar similarities to my 2005 Corvette convertible
Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MHaynes772
Okay, so my CLS63 got hit and I am getting another car. I feel the need for open air and I am considering a CLK63. A few questions:

1-Since it is a soft top, I fear wind noise. I love how quiet my CLS63 is. Your opinion?
2-Power. What's the difference in my CLS63 and CLK63 motors? How can I get the CLK63 up to the 507hp?
4-Is the back seat a back seat, or an insurance seat? FYI- I'll be up front and I'm only 5 10 and 150 lbs and so is my buddy. Also, the girls that would be in the back are 5 2 and 100 pounds. Is there headroom with the top up?
5-Is there a hardtop overlay offered?
6-Is the top on the inside suede?

Thanks, and any other input is GREATLY appreciated.

Matthew Haynes
1. its decently quite. slight windnoise, but not as bad as say a Z4 or Z3. Its pretty quite for a softtop.
2. chances are, its already 507 hp
3. the CLK's generally hold their value pretty well except for the CLK55, because of its power difference. Since the CLK63 is comparable in power to its bigger breatheren, it will likely hold its value much better than the CLK55 did.
4. the CLK back seats are big enough for me and Im 5'11 170
5. not sure, but i think ive seen it around
6. dont know