CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by benznodubz
Here is a good one ...saw this guy in Long Island when I was on vacation a few months back.
click me

Wow I think that's Sunrise Highway right by me. Lots of fake AMG's on LI. We see more fakes then real ones. And plus this guys missing the /////
Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by AMGJared
Wow I think that's Sunrise Highway right by me. Lots of fake AMG's on LI. We see more fakes then real ones. And plus this guys missing the /////
Yes, I think we were in Massapequa just turning off the 110 onto sunrise hwy.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
here's one... but this is actually a real AMG

Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 S550, CLS500, ‘03 SL500, “92 190E Sportline
can't wait...

can't wait to see a Honda Civic Si 335 AMG Brabus Rieger 4 MATIC

...seen plenty of AMG posers, it's ridiculous...

saw a couple weeks ago : CLK 500 AMG with stock clk 500 rims...
Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.......I think we may be overeacting here. An AMG car has two emblems. One says what engine it has and the other says it has AMG trinklets. Since MB and AMG themselves sell these trinklets to anyone that wants to buy them, I don't think it is fair to be so heavy handed when someone displays them. To make more cash (not that there anything wrong with that), MB/AMG sell AMG packages of non AMG cars. If said buyer displays an AMG badge, I don't think it is particularly off the mark. Also lets remember that nowadays, for very little money one can pick up a pre-owned CLK55, C43, C36, W210 E55. So looking at it from a money stanpoint also does not jive with me. For example, brand new CLS550 is 10 times more expensive than a pre-owned C36.

...........Now, if one alters their engine designation then I think a public flogging is in order. This will apply to the CLS75 I saw in South Beach last year.

Ted
Old 12-16-2007, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by F14Tomcat
Posers are everywhere. One of the funniest I've seen is a 2007 S class - guy had beautiful rims and 20" wheels, but had "S20" on the left rear and the AMG logo on the right. So you took out the 5.4 liter engine and put in a 2.0l?
they prob put the 20 for 20" wheels
Old 12-16-2007, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.......I think we may be overeacting here. An AMG car has two emblems. One says what engine it has and the other says it has AMG trinklets. Since MB and AMG themselves sell these trinklets to anyone that wants to buy them, I don't think it is fair to be so heavy handed when someone displays them. To make more cash (not that there anything wrong with that), MB/AMG sell AMG packages of non AMG cars. If said buyer displays an AMG badge, I don't think it is particularly off the mark. Also lets remember that nowadays, for very little money one can pick up a pre-owned CLK55, C43, C36, W210 E55. So looking at it from a money stanpoint also does not jive with me. For example, brand new CLS550 is 10 times more expensive than a pre-owned C36.

...........Now, if one alters their engine designation then I think a public flogging is in order. This will apply to the CLS75 I saw in South Beach last year.

Ted
As far as I know just because you get the "AMG" package on a car, doesn't mean you get an AMG badge on the trunk. I think the dealerships are putting them on there to stroke the customers ego or to hype up the car. Back in 1999 I leased a CLK430 with AMG body work and AMG rims but the car did not come with an AMG badge, rightfully so, since it was not a true AMG car.

AMG package does not equal AMG car. Rims and body work does not an AMG make.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Stiggs
As far as I know just because you get the "AMG" package on a car, doesn't mean you get an AMG badge on the trunk. I think the dealerships are putting them on there to stroke the customers ego or to hype up the car. Back in 1999 I leased a CLK430 with AMG body work and AMG rims but the car did not come with an AMG badge, rightfully so, since it was not a true AMG car.

Exactly. Well said.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

..........I think you totally missed my point.
..........by your own admission, it is not the trinklets that makes an AMG car. It is the engine. It would appear then that a more serious infraction would be when one changes the engine designation of their car from say, CLK550 to CLK55. No?
.........Additing an AMG badge is not really a big deal from my point of view. If AMG badges are wrong, how about AMG license plate holders? should those be banned too from non AMG cars? Oh how about AMG aluminum pedals? These are all trinklets and ornaments. The engine engine and performance is what counts and that is to be found in the designation such as CLk55, C43, E63 etc.
Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 12-16-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
..........I think you totally missed my point.
..........by your own admission, it is not the trinklets that makes an AMG car. It is the engine. It would appear then that a more serious infraction would be when one changes the engine designation of their car from say, CLK550 to CLK55. No?
.........Additing an AMG badge is not really a big deal from my point of view. If AMG badges are wrong, how about AMG license plate holders? should those be banned too from non AMG cars? Oh how about AMG aluminum pedals? These are all trinklets and ornaments. The engine engine and performance is what counts and that is to be found in the designation such as CLk55, C43, E63 etc.
Ted
I know what you are saying. Your main focus is on the engine. I think people that put the AMG badge (sometimes) want to fool others into thinking they have a real AMG.

Of course it always comes down to personal preference. Its America and if people want to badge their cars anyway they want then let them. I probably shouldn't b!tch as much as I do, I just can't help it.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:34 AM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Yeah, my CLK 500 has an AMG badge on the trunk... It has the AMG Sport package from the factory and it's on the window sticker. I bought the car used so I have no idea who put the AMG badge on the car... Does that make me a poser...? I think that makes me a victim of marketing strategy personnaly. MB Marketing knows there are people who want the AMG Sportiness but don't want or need to pay the markup for the AMG engine...
Just look at how many non-AMG cars they are selling with the AMG Sport package... Sure, there are people who will put AMG badges on just about anything and sure, I suppose they are trying to impress someone with their AMG badge and that makes them a poser I suppose... I also don't think it's always the case that owners are posers because you don't always know who put the badge on the car...
Old 12-17-2007, 10:40 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by sdunham
Yeah, my CLK 500 has an AMG badge on the trunk... It has the AMG Sport package from the factory and it's on the window sticker. I bought the car used so I have no idea who put the AMG badge on the car... Does that make me a poser...? I think that makes me a victim of marketing strategy personnaly. MB Marketing knows there are people who want the AMG Sportiness but don't want or need to pay the markup for the AMG engine...
Just look at how many non-AMG cars they are selling with the AMG Sport package... Sure, there are people who will put AMG badges on just about anything and sure, I suppose they are trying to impress someone with their AMG badge and that makes them a poser I suppose... I also don't think it's always the case that owners are posers because you don't always know who put the badge on the car...
Your dealer or the previous owner must have put the badge on the car, because it absolutely didn't happen at the factory (if it's a US spec car). Period. I asked that very question about badging in the AMG Private Lounge (which, not so coincidently, you have to own an AMG and provide the VIN to sign up for) and they checked with M-B/AMG directly and stated so. Non US-spec cars may be different. Now if your dealer or previous owner states otherwise and that it came like that from the factory, they're lying...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:10 PM

03 CLK55 AMG, 95 3000GT

Ted
Ok several arguments to your point. Yes you are free to put what ever AMG wheels, bumpers, trinkets, etc. on your car to make it look a certain way, personalize it etc. This is a great thing to do in moding your car. That is part of the hobby, and what can make your car standout from others. That does not give you the right to masquerade your car as an AMG. I have a
W209 CLK55 and there are some body elements of a CLK DTM and CLK Black Series that I am insanely in love with. IF I were to be able to get them and put them on my car there is no way that gives me the right to badge my car as a DTM or a Black Series. If Mercedes doesn't deem this as alright, what gives anyone of us the right to.

Second point when you are comparing cost. You have to compare apples to apples. Comparing a brand new CLS550 to a pre-owned C36 is totally unfair. Even brand new to brand new this is an unfair comparison and a person who can afford a CLS and wants one is not going to be considering a C class. Plus performace wise the cars are vastly different and don't even compare. Just having a "C" as part of your class distinction does not make us all in the same class. A CLK, CL, CLS, and C are all very different cars. If we were the same I would love to have the CL class AMG twin turbo v12 in my car, man that sucker would fly.

Third with someone altering the numbers on the car to CLS75, I don't have as much problem with this because more than likely in the case of the car you saw, with it being on South Beach especially, probably belong to an athlete who was distinguishing his car with his personal football number. You will see this on many Mereceds and athletes intergrating their number into the car badging.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:19 PM

03 CLK55 AMG, 95 3000GT
Originally Posted by sdunham
How do you guys get through the day with so much important stuff to worry about...! ..
Oh and for us getting through the day. You must have even LESS important stuff to do than all of us because you have time to sit and read through this entire topic and take a moment to chastise us on how little important stuff we all have to do. Way to be out there saving the world.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by GSUNole
Ok several arguments to your point. Yes you are free to put what ever AMG wheels, bumpers, trinkets, etc. on your car to make it look a certain way, personalize it etc. This is a great thing to do in moding your car. That is part of the hobby, and what can make your car standout from others. That does not give you the right to masquerade your car as an AMG. I have a
W209 CLK55 and there are some body elements of a CLK DTM and CLK Black Series that I am insanely in love with. IF I were to be able to get them and put them on my car there is no way that gives me the right to badge my car as a DTM or a Black Series. If Mercedes doesn't deem this as alright, what gives anyone of us the right to.

Second point when you are comparing cost. You have to compare apples to apples. Comparing a brand new CLS550 to a pre-owned C36 is totally unfair. Even brand new to brand new this is an unfair comparison and a person who can afford a CLS and wants one is not going to be considering a C class. Plus performace wise the cars are vastly different and don't even compare. Just having a "C" as part of your class distinction does not make us all in the same class. A CLK, CL, CLS, and C are all very different cars. If we were the same I would love to have the CL class AMG twin turbo v12 in my car, man that sucker would fly.

Third with someone altering the numbers on the car to CLS75, I don't have as much problem with this because more than likely in the case of the car you saw, with it being on South Beach especially, probably belong to an athlete who was distinguishing his car with his personal football number. You will see this on many Mereceds and athletes intergrating their number into the car badging.

...........I actually don't wish to compare costs at all. I think it makes no sense. I was trying to counter the argument some have put forward that those that have AMG badges on their cars, cannot afford the real thing. My point is that if one just wanted to have an authentic AMG, all one has to do is buy a used C36 for $7K. If you want to go new for new, then lets agree that a guy that buys a brand spanking new S600 can afford an S63. I think we should stay away from the money argument.

Ted
Old 12-25-2007, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Finally spotted a poser the other day, getting on the 210 Freeway here in LA I spotted an SLK350 with an AMG badge on the right-hand side, just as if it was an SLK55, WTF?!? Who does he think he's kidding?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 clk 55 amg
Question

ok one thing fella's and ladies before every one goes off . remember that klemmann makes a single out exhaust it could be after market . not posing . just never know unless you look close .
Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 AM

CLK200
Supersprint also makes a single out exhaust for CLK55, I believe a forum member has posted pictures of this setup.

Why is it OK to display a Brabus, Carlsson or Lorinser badge as many of the forum members do, when they have the correct body kit, rims and exhaust. What makes this different from displaying an AMG badge when you have the correct AMG body kit, rims and exhaust. All tuning companies have both engine and body programs.

As an example we can look at Brabus. Is it OK to display a Brabus badge in the following cases:
1) a stock CLK without Brabus body work or Brabus engine rebuild
2) a CLK with a engine rebuilt by Brabus with stock rims and bodywork
3) a CLK with Brabus body work without Brabus engine rebuild
4) a CLK with Brabus body work and Brabus engine rebuild

Nr 1) is never ok, I think this is what pisses most people off. But when you see 1) this could actually be 2), but how likely is it?

Last edited by mortenso; 01-03-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:04 PM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Touche'...
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 PM

'10 c63,'03expedition,ducati999,22'Donzi
i bought a used '03 clk500 from the dealer a while back. from what i understand all clk500's in '03 came with the AMG "APPEARANCE" package.mine didn't come with an AMG badge on it, but if it did i would of removed it. that's just my opinion.i think the only way anyone should display the AMG badge respectfully is if your motor has that special little signature, from that special little factory.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by FastDonzi
i bought a used '03 clk500 from the dealer a while back. from what i understand all clk500's in '03 came with the AMG "APPEARANCE" package.mine didn't come with an AMG badge on it, but if it did i would of removed it. that's just my opinion.i think the only way anyone should display the AMG badge respectfully is if your motor has that special little signature, from that special little factory.
Amen
Old 01-18-2008, 06:56 PM

CLK 55 AMG
I saw a stock dont knwo waht it was , no amg body kit no nothing maybe amg rims, but it wsas standard body kit single tip, and th stupid women had clk 55 AMG I was like LOL beacsue I was driving in my AMG and I literally pulled down the window and laughed, she was one of those people who was wearing sunglasses driving her normal car trying to make it a clk 55 amg, I was like lol anyway dont knwo why its not AMG
Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
badging cars incorrectly has been a 2-sided argument for ages.....since the damn v-tec's came out back in 1992.

If people want to place the AMG badge on their non-AMG cars, let them be. THEY know they are posing. THEY know they don't drive a AMG car. THEY are the ones looking stupid.

I've pretty much given up on trying to explain to members that AMG means "hand built engine." NOT body kits, NOT wheels, NOT pedals, and NOT shiftknobs.......and their only response is "it's MY car, and I can do anything I want with it."

Totally true!

SO every time I see a poser on the road, I just pull up next to him/her, downshift to 2nd, give them a couple of jerks, and then blow the doors off his/her car to leave him/her thinking "damn. that's how a real AMG is supposed to sound, drive, look."
Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Damn...I saw a S500 AMG today, LOL
I didn't have a camera with me.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
Damn...I saw a S500 AMG today, LOL
I didn't have a camera with me.

I saw a W211 E320 AMG last night. Before I could whip out my camera phone, he turned into the shopping center on my left......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers