CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by sknight
In Germany, many AMG cars are non-badged. In fact, I likely have seen only 1-2 that were badged. Same for Audi S and RS cars. I have not made a note of the BMW yet. Debadging a car from the factory is actually the norm here.
Funny how different cultures view things eh? For instance, a debadged car in Europe (from what you mentioned) seems to carry with it the 'up-trim' model significance where as in North America when we see a debadged car the immediate thought is 'base model'.

I could really care less what people do with their own cars, they paid for the privilage of driving it. When I see a SL500 here with an AMG badge I don't say 'poser', he isn't trying to claim that it's anything more than a SL500 with the AMG appearance package and I really don't know why AMG owners get so worked up about it (remember, here in the UAE the dealer badges the 500's wit the AMG badge). "No motor, no badge", isn't the engine tag the most important thing here? If the car is an SL500 with an AMG badge you know it's just a 500 with the bodykit, wheels and maybe a few other factory added AMG parts, aka, AMG appearance package. If it says SL55 AMG then your immediately led to believe that it has an AMG motor under the hood, if not, then that is the real poser, no?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 AM

c200k
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Funny how different cultures view things eh? For instance, a debadged car in Europe (from what you mentioned) seems to carry with it the 'up-trim' model significance where as in North America when we see a debadged car the immediate thought is 'base model'.

I could really care less what people do with their own cars, they paid for the privilage of driving it. When I see a SL500 here with an AMG badge I don't say 'poser', he isn't trying to claim that it's anything more than a SL500 with the AMG appearance package and I really don't know why AMG owners get so worked up about it (remember, here in the UAE the dealer badges the 500's wit the AMG badge). "No motor, no badge", isn't the engine tag the most important thing here? If the car is an SL500 with an AMG badge you know it's just a 500 with the bodykit, wheels and maybe a few other factory added AMG parts, aka, AMG appearance package. If it says SL55 AMG then your immediately led to believe that it has an AMG motor under the hood, if not, then that is the real poser, no?
I didn't say that. Simply put, debadged cars throughout lines are extremely common here, which includes their special models, despite having the definitive markers of their special treatment. Here, people don't want to advertise what they have.

Now for the AMG vs. AMG treatment, for some reason, Audi doesn't suffer this, with their "S-line" packages, for some reason.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
I'm going to petition the Olympic Committee to make poser-spotting a recognized sport....
Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Now for the AMG vs. AMG treatment, for some reason, Audi doesn't suffer this, with their "S-line" packages, for some reason.
Not here, sir. Plenty of fake badges and aluminum mirror-covers to go around....
Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I didn't say that. Simply put, debadged cars throughout lines are extremely common here, which includes their special models, despite having the definitive markers of their special treatment. Here, people don't want to advertise what they have.

I didn't say you did, I think you're getting me wrong. I was just stating that the badging/debadging/whatever badging of cars in different parts of the world is viewed differently.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by Chappy
I'm going to petition the Olympic Committee to make poser-spotting a recognized sport....
2012 London - I'll look out for it!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 AM

c200k
I didn't say you did, I think you're getting me wrong. I was just stating that the badging/debadging/whatever badging of cars in different parts of the world is viewed differently.
This is your exact statement:

seems to carry with it the 'up-trim' model significance where as in North America when we see a debadged car the immediate thought is 'base model'.
whereas ALL models, from bottom, to the very top are debadged in large numbers. The desireable models, we perceive to remain badged, such as the factory modified versions, are also debadged, but there is no significance, "up trim" or "base model", or otherwise, other than preference, and perhaps targeted theft concerns.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...and perhaps targeted theft concerns.
If a thief can't tell the difference between a debadged C200 and debadged C55 then he should be in another business
Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
If a thief can't tell the difference between a debadged C200 and debadged C55 then he should be in another business
....or relocate to the UAE??
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Badblackfolife
wait but his car is not assembled by AMG technician so he cannot rock AMG badge!
Originally Posted by dynomite05
lol. I'm not saying I would, just wanted to hear people's opinions since someone said "no engine, no badge". I wouldn't even have the 320, I would leave it debaged.
Originally Posted by Traume
I'm new to the whole Mercedes thing. I just bought an '06 CLK500 from a Mercedes Dealership here in Tulsa. It had the AMG badge on the right side of the trunk when I got it. I know it's not an AMG car. However, it has the full AMG appearance package (bumpers, side skirts, wheels, lip spoiler, and exhaust tips) My question is, did they put a badge on the cars with just the package from the factory, or did someone add it on later? It's a clean car and only had 47k miles on it when I bought it.
Originally Posted by Traume
haha, that reminds me of the 545i I saw on a dealer lot that had a 745i badge on it... It even said 745i on the window info sheet...I just hope someone didn't buy it thinking they were getting an awesome deal or something...
Originally Posted by ludwig14
WOW, 35 pages! Really guys??? I've owned both AMG and standard models and all deserve the same respect. ITS A MERCEDES AT THE END! So get over yourself and enjoy your cars... ( just my 2c)

I personally would never put an AMG badge on a non-amg production car, but thats just me... Its kinda like wearing a replica watch, you will always know its a FAKE!
Originally Posted by driveby99
Hey..this my first post, i'm a noob here and a noob to M-B, so please go easy on me!

I was interested to see the banter about AMG badging, (I didn't read single every post on this thread tbh).

I'm in the UK, and just about to collect a 2000 year W208 CLK 430...with on the boot (ok, trunk to most of you) is CLK 43 on the left where a 55 would have CLK 55, and the AMG logo on the other side.
The car is one family owner since new, was specified built with AMG body kit, AMG suspension and possibly AMG exhaust (not sure oon that one, but has AMG style tails, I'll check out when I get her home on Saturday). I understand there was a 'regular' 430 and an AMG 430?
Anyway, I was uneasy about the badging anyway, much more so now! I don't want to pull off original badging or on the other hand feel a **** around a 'real' AMG 55 in traffic..know what I mean?
Dilemma.. Anyone know more about AMG M-B factory uprated 430's?
Oh and great forum, LOTS to see and learn here! :o)

No No No......REALLY.....we're laughing with you....
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

....or relocate to the UAE??
Yeah, it would bea easier on him here, the C200's don't get the AMG bodykits, only the C55's did. Then again, why would a thief in the UAE steal a cheap a$$ MB when he can have his choice of thousands of exotics?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
^^OG of da U.A.E.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 AM

c200k
Again, shortsighted thinking. There is a difference in the parts market between standard models, from the smallest engines up to the largest ones. You know how when you get just about anything electronic replaced on your car and it needs to be programmed? That should indicate how bad the theft and parts market problem is out here. A car gets picked up, thrown on a trailer, and then it's dragged to destinations east, never to be seen again. Or ends up in a storage yard in a certain western country, then when their statute of limitations ends, it gets sold to an unsuspecting buyer, at which point, their laws say the car is theirs, not to be returned to the original owner. Or we are targeted in one of many countries that "love" seeing cars with German plates when we travel to other countries due to recent political issues here.

And for the record, my car is badged.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again, shortsighted thinking. There is a difference in the parts market between standard models, from the smallest engines up to the largest ones. You know how when you get just about anything electronic replaced on your car and it needs to be programmed? That should indicate how bad the theft and parts market problem is out here. A car gets picked up, thrown on a trailer, and then it's dragged to destinations east, never to be seen again. Or ends up in a storage yard in a certain western country, then when their statute of limitations ends, it gets sold to an unsuspecting buyer, at which point, their laws say the car is theirs, not to be returned to the original owner. Or we are targeted in one of many countries that "love" seeing cars with German plates when we travel to other countries due to recent political issues here.

And for the record, my car is badged.
Relax mate, no need to get worked up - humor is a good thing. And for the record, I'm sure your car looks great debadged, my wife has a C200 as well, I think it would look better with the C200 and Kompressor badges removed, maybe I'll replace them with a Black Series badge
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^OG of da U.A.E.
I drive a MB dude, I'm the white trash of da UAE
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
maybe I'll replace them with a Black Series badge
Okay, boys....we've been check-mated.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM

c200k
Relax mate, no need to get worked up - humor is a good thing. And for the record, I'm sure your car looks great debadged, my wife has a C200 as well, I think it would look better with the C200 and Kompressor badges removed, maybe I'll replace them with a Black Series badge
Still don't know where you think I'm getting worked up. I'm giving information related to the topic and also related to why repairs are done certain ways and why devices are coded to one another from what I found out moving here.

And my C200k looks like any other car out here, because they are common and hopefully, that prevents theft, especially traveling overseas. Plus we can park it, not worry about damage, and drive it into any emissions-restricted city. Plus registration and emissions taxes every couple of years doesn't kill us. However, even with another car in the search, likely a V8, we will keep this for the practicality named above. It's nice to be able to drive the car into any city in Europe...
Old 03-19-2011, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
This thread should be about posting pictures of posers, not arguing over what a poser is. We all know what a poser is. Lets get back to just posting pics of posers. geez! effin retards.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
+1 and the winner of the event gets a bronze medal that has been rebadged as "gold"
Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
this has to be the most beautiful mercedes ever

Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 PM

2007 SL55 AMG
I started a website of all the fake AMGs (and other rebadged cars) I've seen around, and where anyone can submit their own. Eventually, the site can become not only an organized photo gallery, but an information source to explain the true meaning of AMG (and other high-performance brands) to those not "in the know", and share tips on spotting posers on the street. I think it would be nice to see some of the pics posted up here on the site, to give everybody a quick and easy place to see them.

http://notfoolinganyone.com

Looking forward to seeing your submissions.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Originally Posted by S1N3d dW17
I started a website of all the fake AMGs (and other rebadged cars) I've seen around, and where anyone can submit their own. Eventually, the site can become not only an organized photo gallery, but an information source to explain the true meaning of AMG (and other high-performance brands) to those not "in the know", and share tips on spotting posers on the street. I think it would be nice to see some of the pics posted up here on the site, to give everybody a quick and easy place to see them.

http://notfoolinganyone.com

Looking forward to seeing your submissions.
No offence, the idea is entertaining but you wnt catch me submitting a damn thing to that kind of concept. I might have time to read or check out the site but I have a life. My life consists of doing me, looking out for myself and it sure does not consist for caring for those who debadge/rebadge their cars. I mean really what and why do you care if the next man wants to put RS6 on a A6 or add an AMG logo to his base and bone stock Benz?? Its a fact that a lot of those owners do not have the necessary funds to buy top of the line cars or simply have bad taste, but how does that affect you? Get off the next mans d*** and live your life.
That said if your life is all about judging everyone around you then its just sad and I feel bad for you.

I thought badblack was going to be the last straw of this thread but it keeps on going and without any real significant purpose. Can we call for closure because this thread really needs it lol...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
W140 CL600 with AMG badge on the trunk and V8 Kompressor badges on the fenders. Had replica AMG wheels too.
Attached Thumbnails AMG posers-cl-poser-amg.jpg   AMG posers-cl-amg-poser.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 04:31 AM

c200k
Originally Posted by Stiggs
This thread should be about posting pictures of posers, not arguing over what a poser is. We all know what a poser is. Lets get back to just posting pics of posers. geez! effin retards.

You're right. There are tons of cars on this very forum, belonging to fellow members, highlighting the poser problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
You're right. There are tons of cars on this very forum, belonging to fellow members, highlighting the poser problem.
Boy, you'd better do something about that! I mean, how can life go on as we know it when there are people with badges on cars that don't belong!!!!!!!!!!!

Call the President! This surely is a national emergency of epidemic proportions! These people must be rooted out and made to pay for their crimes

Yes AMG boys, I'm just rattlin' your cages, mostly because I think it's funny how protective you guys get over your cars and the AMG brand. Great cars, but still funny as hell to watch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers