CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML350
Originally Posted by renault12ts
How can a C180 blue efficiency be upgraded to AMG levels...it's now nothing more than a posers car...as all of them are no matter what engine.
C180 with amg styling package will have amg spoke wheels and the front, side skirts, and rear bumper of an AMG model and look more agressive than the base car. It will not have the gills in the front bumper nor the 6.3 badging on the front fenders, nor the ///AMG badge on the trunk, nor the same engine and exhaust sytem and suspension and transmission as a C63.

So a person who orders a C180 and asks for the amg wheels and bumpers upgrade is not posing. If that person then goes home and changes the rear badging to be C18 ///AMG or even C63 ///AMG then they are posing. Likewise if they put on fender badging.

It's people who try and go the extra mile to disguise their car is who we are taking the **** out of on this thread. Not those who simply tick the box for a splash of AMG on their model.

Oh also the brakes. AMG Styling package won't help you stopping since it never helped you to accelerate faster in the first place.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 PM

1999 E55 AMG
Skirts, rims and bumpers do not make an AMG. If your engine was not hand built and labeled an AMG then you are posing whether you bought it that way from the dealer or you did it yourself.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 PM

1999 E55 AMG
How can a C180 blue efficiency be upgraded to AMG levels...it's now nothing more than a posers car...as all of them are no matter what engine.

Exactly!

Want an AMG? Buy one. Want to pretend to have an AMG? Buy the badges and the cosmetic upgrades....

Heres a little test, take your "AMG styled" C180 and run it against a "non AMG" styled car and see how they fare. Im guessing it'll be neck and neck.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM

1999 E55 AMG
Found this on USA today website.

By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY
Rather than fork over big bucks to get high-performance versions of sexy sports cars, some enthusiasts are trying to get the bling without the extra ka-ching.
They are going to dealers or online auctioneer eBay to buy emblems in hopes their cars can masquerade as versions that would cost thousands more.
"It happens all the time," says Myles Kovacs, president of Dub magazine, which follows car-customization trends. "People want to live outside their means."
Cruising the streets of Southern California, officials at Kelley Blue Book, an auto-buying service, say they've seen Mercedes eight-cylinder coupes rebadged as 12-cylinder versions, a sedan with emblems that would make it a coupe, and fake high-performance AMG or Brabus models.
Occasionally, cars will change brands altogether. "We saw a Ford badged as an Acura. We were dying," says Kelley Blue Book spokeswoman Robyn Eckard.
Online auction service eBay says it sells about 15,000 items a month in the automotive emblem category.
Automakers acknowledge the practice — and don't seem to mind.
Mercedes owners can buy the lettering indicating their cars are the high-end AMG version for about $65 at a dealer's parts department. Chrysler 300 owners who want their cars to mimic the Hemi-powered 300C can buy the insignia for about $12.50.
Replacement is generally easy — just a few minutes with a heat gun or hair dryer and dental floss to remove the old one, and some tape to attach the new badge.
At the nation's top-selling Mercedes dealer, maybe one or two buyers out of 100 will ask to have their car rebadged, says Garth Blumenthal, general manager of Fletcher Jones Motorcars in Newport Beach, Calif.
Yet even with the new badge, diehard enthusiasts can't be tricked, because clues such as exhaust pipes or wheels give them away. As for BMW owners who hope an emblem will turn their car into the performance division version, "You can't fool somebody (into thinking) it's an M3 or M5," BMW spokesman Rob Mitchell says.
Some high-performance companies, however, draw the line at helping people fake the credentials of their wheels.
Shelby Automobiles, the car customizer made famous by Carroll Shelby, turns down dozens of requests a day to turn Ford Mustangs into the Shelby Mustang that it built as a promotion for Hertz, President Amy Boylan says. She says she'll only sell approved parts, not whole kits.
Likewise, Mustang hot-rod rebuilder Saleen won't sell the engine compartment plate indicating the car is genuine.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM

2014 AMG E63S, 2006 XK8 victory edition convertible, 2006 supercharged trailblazer SS, 2001 E430
Posers are posers and that's it. A MB only badged as an AMG will be no where near the caliber of car as it's REAL AMG counter part. Quit down playing AMG's just because you dont have one

Originally Posted by roguewrester
Exactly!

Want an AMG? Buy one. Want to pretend to have an AMG? Buy the badges and the cosmetic upgrades....

Heres a little test, take your "AMG styled" C180 and run it against a "non AMG" styled car and see how they fare. Im guessing it'll be neck and neck.
In a drag race, I would bet that the poser loses if he has more than just badges as body kits etc add weight

Last edited by nizzle; 10-31-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM

CL 500 (2003 W215). Range Rover Sport. Ferrari 360 spider. Ferrari F355 spider. MV Agusta F4.

Rather than fork over big bucks to get high-performance versions of sexy sports cars, some enthusiasts are trying to get the bling without the extra ka-ching.
They are going to dealers or online auctioneer eBay to buy emblems in hopes their cars can masquerade as versions that would cost thousands more.
"It happens all the time," says Myles Kovacs, president of Dub magazine, which follows car-customization trends. "People want to live outside their means."
Cruising the streets of Southern California, officials at Kelley Blue Book, an auto-buying service, say they've seen Mercedes eight-cylinder coupes rebadged as 12-cylinder versions, a sedan with emblems that would make it a coupe, and fake high-performance AMG or Brabus models.
Occasionally, cars will change brands altogether. "We saw a Ford badged as an Acura. We were dying," says Kelley Blue Book spokeswoman Robyn Eckard.
Online auction service eBay says it sells about 15,000 items a month in the automotive emblem category.
Mercedes owners can buy the lettering indicating their cars are the high-end AMG version for about $65 at a dealer's parts department. Chrysler 300 owners who want their cars to mimic the Hemi-powered 300C can buy the insignia for about $12.50.
Replacement is generally easy — just a few minutes with a heat gun or hair dryer and dental floss to remove the old one, and some tape to attach the new badge.
At the nation's top-selling Mercedes dealer, maybe one or two buyers out of 100 will ask to have their car rebadged, says Garth Blumenthal, general manager of Fletcher Jones Motorcars in Newport Beach, Calif.
Yet even with the new badge, diehard enthusiasts can't be tricked, because clues such as exhaust pipes or wheels give them away. As for BMW owners who hope an emblem will turn their car into the performance division version, "You can't fool somebody (into thinking) it's an M3 or M5," BMW spokesman Rob Mitchell says.
Some high-performance companies, however, draw the line at helping people fake the credentials of their wheels.
Shelby Automobiles, the car customizer made famous by Carroll Shelby, turns down dozens of requests a day to turn Ford Mustangs into the Shelby Mustang that it built as a promotion for Hertz, President Amy Boylan says. She says she'll only sell approved parts, not whole kits.
Likewise, Mustang hot-rod rebuilder Saleen won't sell the engine compartment plate indicating the car is genuine.
Interesting that this is wide spread. Also interesting that Mercedes them self seem to condone this behaviour.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s

That is sad Also they said the car makers do not seem to mind. What is even more sad is that for the same price of a new non AMG MB you can buy a real AMG that is used for the same price. Why not just buy the real thing? For me it seems like it goes back to the Rolex example. Why buy a fake Rolex? People that have real ones know a fake Rolex when they see it. People who do not know watches will not see a Rolex or a Timex. So either way the poser is in a loosing situation. I just so happen to know the different between real AMG's and fakes along with real Rolex's and fake ones. Look out posers
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by fspider
Interesting that this is wide spread. Also interesting that Mercedes them self seem to condone this behaviour.
MB doesn't condone the behavior. The article only said that you can buy the badge from the dealer for $65 (now 80+) but the article interprets that as "condoning" the behavior. I mean you have the make the badge for sale for those that truly need to replace the one from their true AMG- that doesn't mean they condone the false badging.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM

CL 500 (2003 W215). Range Rover Sport. Ferrari 360 spider. Ferrari F355 spider. MV Agusta F4.
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
MB doesn't condone the behavior. The article only said that you can buy the badge from the dealer for $65 (now 80+) but the article interprets that as "condoning" the behavior. I mean you have the make the badge for sale for those that truly need to replace the one from their true AMG- that doesn't mean they condone the false badging.
Oh I see, thanks for that I am only giving a reaction to what's been posted. The artical goes a little further than just saying that one can buy a badge from a dealer. Be it correct or not,
This is what it actually says.

QUOTE : Automakers acknowledge the practice — and don't seem to mind.

At the nation's top-selling Mercedes dealer, maybe one or two buyers out of 100 will ask to have their car rebadged, says Garth Blumenthal, general manager of Fletcher Jones Motorcars in Newport Beach, Calif. END QUOTE

Last edited by fspider; 11-01-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
No where in the article does it state that MB had any comments about this "phenomenon"!

I highly recommend an aftermarket company to manufacture a badge that says "AMG Equipped" instead.

Just like the Lexus badges that say "F Sport Equipped"
Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ahmed
No where in the article does it state that MB had any comments about this "phenomenon"!"
It is correct that MB (Germany) has not commented regarding this matter.
However the way I see it is that being that the vast country which is the USA. A country which may be classed as Mercedes Benz largest customer base. If the dealer interviewed in the artical is "the nation's top-selling Mercedes dealer". And rebages cars at customers request, this speaks volumes. Am I right in assuming that this company is an official MB dealer? If so then if MB Germany disapproved with the practice, then steps would have been taken for this not to be done at there dealerships worldwide. I don't buy that MB Germany don't know this goes on.
One could say its all about the money.

Last edited by fspider; 11-01-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB corporate only has so much control over a dealer. Just because the dealer may condone a practice, again, it doesn't mean the corporate office does. A lot of dealers are mod friendly dealers and install power packages that change the engine/ transmission etc. Of course the corporate office won't like this, but dealers still do this and they still have their license to sell MBs.

And for those 2/100 that want to change their badge, if I were the dealer, I'd refuse to sell the car to them as I have more pride than business sense. LOL

A dealer here had a guy buy an S550 and the owner requested to change the badge to S600. The salesman grudgingly accepted as it helped make the sale- but he didn't want to do it. And for that reason the car doesn't have the V12 badges. (I only know this as one time I pulled into service and said whoa S600, then noticed the regular plastic door panels and was like wait a sec, that's just an S550. And that's when my salesperson told me the story). So some dealers don't want to do it, but you got to do what you got to do to make the sale.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
MB corporate only has so much control over a dealer. Just because the dealer may condone a practice, again, it doesn't mean the corporate office does. A lot of dealers are mod friendly dealers and install power packages that change the engine/ transmission etc. Of course the corporate office won't like this, but dealers still do this and they still have their license to sell MBs.

And for those 2/100 that want to change their badge, if I were the dealer, I'd refuse to sell the car to them as I have more pride than business sense. LOL

A dealer here had a guy buy an S550 and the owner requested to change the badge to S600. The salesman grudgingly accepted as it helped make the sale- but he didn't want to do it. And for that reason the car doesn't have the V12 badges. (I only know this as one time I pulled into service and said whoa S600, then noticed the regular plastic door panels and was like wait a sec, that's just an S550. And that's when my salesperson told me the story). So some dealers don't want to do it, but you got to do what you got to do to make the sale.
Yea point taken.
I do know that some corporate manufacturers do control there dealers with strict rules. I thought wrongfully that MB was one of them, clearly not.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB does have strict rules over certain things such as not letting the dealer sell to individuals who will export the car within the first X years of ownership- basically things that can make MB corporate lose money.

The parts department, the dealer has a lot of control over. MSRPs vary from dealer to dealer depending on how much they can rip you off. If you have a moderate/ good relationship with parts, you can order things for different cars. I've ordered many things for my car that I used a different VIN for to do various retrofits. I would not be happy if I couldn't do this, and as a byproduct of my selfishness, it also allows others to buy that dumb AMG badge over the counter.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fspider
It is correct that MB (Germany) has not commented regarding this matter.
However the way I see it is that being that the vast country which is the USA. A country which may be classed as Mercedes Benz largest customer base. If the dealer interviewed in the artical is "the nation's top-selling Mercedes dealer". And rebages cars at customers request, this speaks volumes. Am I right in assuming that this company is an official MB dealer? If so then if MB Germany disapproved with the practice, then steps would have been taken for this not to be done at there dealerships worldwide. I don't buy that MB Germany don't know this goes on.
One could say its all about the money.
Maybe because Mercedes Benz themselves don't think this is a big deal ike all you folks do!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM

2014 AMG E63S, 2006 XK8 victory edition convertible, 2006 supercharged trailblazer SS, 2001 E430
Maybe because Mercedes Benz themselves don't think this is a big deal ike all you folks do!
I dont think hardly anyone here thinks it's a "big deal." This is a thread just for ****s and giggles. Everyone else get off of YOUR high horse. The only people here taking it too seriously are the posers and poser supporters.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM

Yea relax Ahmed
I have an AMG badge on the back of both my prancing horses, gives them extra street cred
Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No I won't relax, I'm standing up for the less fortunate! LOL
Old 11-10-2012, 05:20 PM

CLK55 AMG
No I won't relax, I'm standing up for the less fortunate! LOL
LOL don't make a fool out of yourself. This thread is not called ''LESS FORTUNATE MB OWNERS THAT JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE AN AMG BADGE ON THEIR C180'

It is called AMG POSERS. it has nothing to do with how fortunate people are. It is about do*chebags that went out of their way to pose their car as being worth up to 10x as much as they really are. And we happen to be kings at callouts haha. Don't ruin the thread, it is awesome.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Here is MB AMG private lounge.

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/private.../login?lang=en

To register, you have to enter your vin#. If you don't have a correct vin, you don't get in. I assume that is MB policy about what is an AMG and what is not.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 PM

Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
Originally Posted by cindyclk
Here is MB AMG private lounge.

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/private.../login?lang=en

To register, you have to enter your vin#. If you don't have a correct vin, you don't get in. I assume that is MB policy about what is an AMG and what is not.
damn gotta get my vin tomorrow lol
Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NardoNZ
LOL don't make a fool out of yourself. This thread is not called ''LESS FORTUNATE MB OWNERS THAT JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE AN AMG BADGE ON THEIR C180'

It is called AMG POSERS. it has nothing to do with how fortunate people are. It is about do*chebags that went out of their way to pose their car as being worth up to 10x as much as they really are. And we happen to be kings at callouts haha. Don't ruin the thread, it is awesome.
First of all, you're out of line! The only reason this thread is awesome is cause I'm stirring it up from time to time so people like you can contribute!

So relax, and stop ruining this thread!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:07 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
OK...lovin' the thread.

It does, and you must admit this guys, say more about you, than it does about the posers.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 AM

s5
I used to hate dealing with this kinda crap when I had my E36 M3, possibly the most faked car ever.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You guys are uptight! What can't you just enjoy your AMG's and leave those that dream of enjoying it alone??? Leave them alone!

I'll tell you why you guys get your pants in a knot about this whole poser issue! It's cause every single one of you "real" posers wants to be unique and special.

The excuse you use?

Cause I paid for it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers