CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Fall Pictures - Possible Wheel Upgrade??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Act of God
Depreciation matters because I'm smart enough not to want to literally throw my money away. At 30k there are literally tons of cars that are worth owning that won't drain your wallet after 2 years. Put it this way, my best friend's dad is in the Forbes top 40 and he drives an 8 year old Lincoln.

Only hood rich fools are concerned with having the newest model and look down on people with older cars. I'd rather be rocking a 1994 supra than a fugly as hell new bimmer.

Class > model year
You're not throwing money away. You're paying for something that's reliable, won't break down, a warranty, included regular maintenance, and a lot of time saved. To those that have the means to do so, it's worth it, be it a Honda or a Rolls Royce. Otherwise, why are there millions of new cars sold each year?

Some of us also don't have the time to deal with breakdowns. Our time isn't worth fixing an unreliable car. Sure there are plenty of cars that won't break the bank after two years. Your car isn't one of them. I would know, I drove a 2003 CLK500 that developed $15k worth of problems from the xenons, transmission, nav, and suspension after 3 years. As soon as the warranty was gone I got rid of it.

You think Warren Buffett became a billionaire because he used to drive an old Lincoln? Try an ivy league education. When your time becomes valuable you'll understand the opportunity cost of fixing an old car isn't worth it.

I only look down on people that buy 30K used cars that walk around with their nose in the air. The "class" of your AMG diminishes every time a new mid-level car like a CLK550 or a 335 outperforms the almighty AMG. So the 335 doesn't wear the AMG badge, but it performs better, is more reliable, and will cost a lot less to maintain. Which is a better buy, the 30k car you bought that's going to cost 15-20k to repair over the next few years or $44k for a car that will outperform it and require little time or money to maintain it? Even if you have the extended warranty, to a lot of people it's worth the extra money so as to not deal with time lost due to breakdowns.

If your argument holds, why would anyone buy a new CL63 instead of a used CL55, or in your argument, a Supra? First you're comparing apples to oranges. Second, they don't want to spend the time and money maintaining an unreliable car.

See this recent thread entitled, "Super unreliable CLK55" and read the second post. "Looks like there was a reason why whomever owned it before sold it!"
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg-clk63-amg-w208-w209/221208-super-unreliable-clk55-i-am-not-happy.html
Old 12-31-2007, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
In that thread there is also:

Originally Posted by Act of God
For the record, My (2001) S4 was in the shop ALL the time. My most reliable German car was a 1995 M3. That thing was a rock.

These threads are getting me a little antsy to be honest. I might dip out of the Benz community while I'm ahead, as my car is trouble-free but without warranty.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
White looks stunning!!! Keep the car lower it and change the wheels!
I lowered mine and added 18" monoblocks from an E55.