CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

ESP - Nanny 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESP - Nanny 911

Holy moly, no one warned me the ESP was this intrusive! I was at a stop light in front of the left turn lane. Sneaky *******s on the right lane try to accelerate and cut off the car in the left hand lane in order to turn left onto I-10.

I was next to a 2005/6 BMW 328 coupe so I punched the CLK55 when the light turned green. The car went dead! The power totally cut off for a good second (seemed like an eternity) before the AMG gained composure and accelerated. This reminded me of the "death lag" on my former 2004 VW Touareg; this was a factory recall due to poor drive by wire throttle programming. Is the ESP supposed to cut in that hard? Anyone else with a similar experience?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
ESP blows, it can't even read people's minds.

I suggest the "off" switch for everyday driving
Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by hrothgar02
Holy moly, no one warned me the ESP was this intrusive! I was at a stop light in front of the left turn lane. Sneaky *******s on the right lane try to accelerate and cut off the car in the left hand lane in order to turn left onto I-10.

I was next to a 2005/6 BMW 328 coupe so I punched the CLK55 when the light turned green. The car went dead! The power totally cut off for a good second (seemed like an eternity) before the AMG gained composure and accelerated. This reminded me of the "death lag" on my former 2004 VW Touareg; this was a factory recall due to poor drive by wire throttle programming. Is the ESP supposed to cut in that hard? Anyone else with a similar experience?
Oh yeah. Welcome to ESP. Don't try to sneak out into traffic fast, it will leave you out in the middle of the road praying for the engine to come back to life while cars are barrel@ssing down on you. Its not a good feeling.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by Act of God
Even with ESP disengaged, it's not 100% disengaged. It'll allow for more play and a greater threshold before it kicks in. If it feels that you're going to totally lose control of the car at the extreme limit, it'll kick in. Better than nothing.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55
Originally Posted by Act of God
ESP blows, it can't even read people's minds.

i 2nd that "switch off" motion...i was enlightened a few months ago about driving with ESP off, and havent driven a day with it on since...i mean unless it was raining, other than that, let that ***** rip...