CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Those little covers between the headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Those little covers between the headlights

OK, this is probably the lamest question ever asked here, but my manual seems to have sprouted legs at the moment ...

All of our cars seem to have these little oblong covers between (and below) the two sets of headlights ... I notice the most recent ones on the W209's are more triangular in shape, but my W208's are oblong, like a "tabbed blob".

I was putting the cover back on mine the other day and noticed the driver's side one was a bit loose ... thought hmmn, I better have that looked at when I take it in for my 9000 mile service ...

Well, sure enough after last weekend's little warming-up jaunt, I get back home and there's a hole where said cover used to be

Before it fell off, it was pretty visible in this pic (I'm sure you all know what I mean anyway):

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...5&d=1106392130

Looking more closely it almost seems like the thing broke off internally, which I don't get at all - I don't remember ever getting the car cover snagged on it.

I see some stuff inside that now-open aperture, but the bottom line is - what the heck are those little oblong covers for, and what is the stuff inside that they are covering?

Last edited by Riot Nrrrd; 12-25-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Zal

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
OK, this is probably the lamest question ever asked here, but my manual seems to have sprouted legs at the moment ...

All of our cars seem to have these little oblong covers between (and below) the two sets of headlights ... I notice the most recent ones on the W209's are more triangular in shape, but my W208's are oblong, like a "tabbed blob".

I was putting the cover back on mine the other day and noticed the driver's side one was a bit loose ... thought hmmn, I better have that looked at when I take it in for my 9000 mile service ...

Well, sure enough after last weekend's little warming-up jaunt, I get back home and there's a hole where said cover used to be

Before it fell off, it was pretty visible in this pic (I'm sure you all know what I mean anyway):

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...5&d=1106392130

Looking more closely it almost seems like the thing broke off internally, which I don't get at all - I don't remember ever getting the car cover snagged on it.

I see some stuff inside that now-open aperture, but the bottom line is - what the heck are those little oblong covers for, and what is the stuff inside that they are covering?
They are covers for the headlight washers.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:31 PM

2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zal
They are covers for the headlight washers.
Aha! I see, said the Blind Man. Thanks Zal

(Given that fact, now I get to wonder how the heck the thing broke off in the first place )
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK55 AMG
On my W209 AMG, I don't have any covers. I've seen them on the DTM version, but mine is lacking

Hmm....Oh well
Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by ColoCruiserJeff
On my W209 AMG, I don't have any covers. I've seen them on the DTM version, but mine is lacking

Hmm....Oh well
Do your headlights look like mine in the pic below. If not then you probably don't have Bi-Xenons. If you don't have those headlight sprayers then you don't have the Bi-Xenons on the W209.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK55 AMG
Nope, I've got the halogens.

SO....those covers are actually hiding the washer/squirter....and when you actually flip the switch, they move out of the way?

How do they work??
Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Cool

Originally Posted by ColoCruiserJeff
Nope, I've got the halogens.

SO....those covers are actually hiding the washer/squirter....and when you actually flip the switch, they move out of the way?

How do they work??
They push out forward about 3 inches. Revealing the squirters. Looks kinda like a dragon.