CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Anyone else have tranny problems with their CLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have tranny problems with their CLK?

Has any one else had major transmission problems with their CLK55 (or any CLK)?

Mine is going into the shop for the third time (fourth occurrence) with tranny problems -

1st time - car went into limp home mode, would not shift out of 2nd gear. Remedy - replaced valve bodies between 2nd and 3rd gear (or something like that)

2nd time - into limp home mode, stuck in 1st gear - the eventually reset itself before I could bring it in

3rd time - into limp home more, stuck in 2nd gear, car shifts VERY violently between D, P and R - car reset itself and got out of limp home mode - brought it
in anyway so they could check error codes - Remedy - replace electronic transmission control and related electronics

4th time - into limp home more, stuck in 2nd gear, car shifts VERY violently between D, P and R - just went to the shop today, no word yet

The car has about 17,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had similar problems? any advice (besides just taking it to a different dealer)?

Any help is appreciated,

David
Old 12-16-2002, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Nothing like the problems you have had. Mine makes an awful raddling sound when in reverse. Have a had some very hard shifts from time to time. I wonder if those are signs of what's to come?
I think it's time to demand a new tranny!
Hope things get better for you.
Tim
Old 12-16-2002, 08:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Somewaht different symptoms...

Right after my first B service (maybe related, maybe not) shifting under moderate power when the engine was just short of warmed up would cause me to drop into neutral, coast, and then hashly drop back into gear.

This was repaired, but things still do not feel right. I cannot pin down what is wrong but the car just does to seem to shift the same now.

Thanks for the details on your problems. Maybe thay will help my pin down my problem better.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:57 PM

2001 MB CLK55
Two instances of dropping into limp home mode. First in January this year (valve body & transmission control unit replaced), second in May (while I was in the middle of a track day at Willow Springs, which I am sure had NOTHING to do with the tranny failure, Mr. MB Service Advisor).

Since I was leaving from Willow Springs for Finland, had my baby flat bedded to Rusnak MB in Pasadena. Excellent service all the way around. Got back to the states and drove home to San Diego with a brand new transmission, and have been trouble free since.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
davidb

Currently have 20,000 miles on mine. Powertrain is perfect.

After 4 service appointments for the same problem within the first year, you may want to look into the Texas Lemon Law.

http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/TX_lemonlaw2.html

Usually, MB dealer must be given written notice that he will be given on more chance to fix tranny before MB mandatory buy-back.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Karl,

Thanks for the tip.

Section 3.08 (general warranty complaints) may help.

I don't think I have recourse under Section 6.07 as I am not an "owner" under that section. I did not buy my car new in Texas from a dealer or its transferee. I purchased it used from the original "owner" in Chicago. There may be some wiggle room as a Texas resident transferee (me) of the "owner" (the original purchaser) However, it has been over one year since the car was purchased new.

Thanks again.

-David
Old 02-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Almost a Member!

n/a
CLK has 120 000 km. got it brand new in 1999. Haven't had any tranny prob. or any other problems.

As for the A190 it sometimes stays in 1st gear for no reason...