CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

DEALER WARNING

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by Timeless
Just to play Devil's advocate (), he cannot admit blaim on here as that does open him up for future legal troubles.

Deep down he knows he is at fault and just has to live with it...and his not so perfect Ebay rating anymore.
Hey Timeless, nice ride buddy! I was checking out your signature and wanted to know where did you get your steath side markers from? I assume they're relatively cheap ehh?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by MARTYMAR
Hey Timeless, nice ride buddy! I was checking out your signature and wanted to know where did you get your steath side markers from? I assume they're relatively cheap ehh?
http://www.stealthauto.com/

Aaron https://mbworld.org/forums/members/37837-stealthauto.html should be able to hook you up.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:54 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by Timeless
Good looking out! Thanks for the links my friend
Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by AMG Phoenix

1) I owe Ms. Stone a legitimate apology for not getting involved sooner. My guy made a stupid comment (which I did previously acknowledge) and I take full responsibility for this. In retrospect, the right thing to do would have been to just send out a new set of AMG mats. Again, we sent newer CLK mats, but did not realize the importance of the AMG logo to the customer. Customer service in this case should have been better, and I apologize.
Well, that certainly addresses the most offensive and inflammatory issue at hand here. When someone buys a $30k+ car from you, and the floor mats (shown in your own sales photos) are missing due to no fault of the buyer, then the only proper thing to do is clearly to send out a set of *new* mats. Not used. Not off the wrong vehicle.

2) No one on this forum that has shared their opinion, with the exception of Ms. Stone and myself, have actually seen the car that we are all talking about. Someone hit the nail right on the head about customer perception and opinion- One man's gem is another man's nightmare. I have seen two different clients look at the same cars on hundreds of test drives and have completely different things to say about the condition of the SAME car.
Brakes down to 5% aren't a 'subjective' issue. You may find some customer more willing to put up with it than she was, but that doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't sell a car in that condition, for two reasons; 1: It's unsafe, and 2: You're going to have a royally pissed off customer on your hands when they find out about it. And they will find out, in very short order...5% doesn't last very long.

I stand behind our description of the car and would offer it to any of you without apology.
No, you didn't. That's the problem here, especially with the floor mats. Nobody tried to "stand behind" anything, rather you sold her a car with almost no time left on the brakes, some cosmetic damage, and then tried to pawn off a set of used floor mats from the wrong vehicle when the original mats disappeared due to no fault of Ms. Stone. "Standing behind" your description would have entailed sending her a new set of correct mats, and making some kind of arrangement with her to give her some kind of credit or to take care of the most obvious of the mis-described items, like the brakes.

In fact, Ms. Stone was very happy with the car when she left with it as well.
Naturally. She probably didn't get down on her knees to check out the fender lining, and I'm sure she probably didn't have her measuring calipers and lug wrench handy in her purse, in order to have discovered the worn out brakes. Lol. Those were the two most expensive items, and there was no way for her to know about them. She had to trust your description.

What are we to do as a dealership when a customer has left happy and does not start complaining about cosmetic issues until after 35 days? Someone brought up an analogy about a tough stake and a cold potato- Is the restaurant supposed to do something about your lousy meal a month after you ate it?
Are you really going to argue that the brakes could be worn all the way down to 5% in one month? I hope not. That's preposterous. So is the notion that the fender liner could miraculously disappear through one month's worth of normal useage. Clearly someone took it out and never put it back in, before she bought it.

Of course not. If we don't know the customer is unhappy until she blasts us in public, you bet we are going to be upset because we feel unjustly accused.
Haha. Cute. Except you knew she was unhappy, because she told you she was unhappy. And in return, your dealership told her to pound sand and sent off a set of used floor mats from the wrong vehicle as a consolation prize. I continue to be amazed at the amount of gall it takes to come here and post this stuff after the way she was treated.

Not to mention a car that has at least 1,000-1,500 more miles on it and we don't know if the car has been on a track, who all has driven it, or who told her the car had bad brakes.
Right. Because she had to fly in and then drive it home 1,000 miles. You knew this, or should know this, since you guys processed her paperwork which undoubtedly included her address. So the *real* mileage we're talking about is 500 or less, when you deduct her trip home from the equation. I guess she stopped at every drag strip on the way home, is that what you're implying?

All of us who drive AMGs out there know that we can go through a perfectly good set of brakes in one weekend of aggressive track driving.
Well that depends on your idea of "perfectly good", doesn't it? If you are talking about brakes that are at 10% and then you hear squealing by the time you're headed home from your road course, then yeah I can see that happening. But if the brakes are at 95% and you spend two days at the track, then no I cannot possibly imagine how you could use them up in one or two track days. It's impossible. Also, she didn't track the car, so that point is moot.

If she ran into a service writer at a dealership who was behind his quota, God only knows what he could have sold her and told her about our car.
And maybe you were behind on your own quotas, and mis-described the car to move it along? What seems more likely? That logic cuts both ways, you know. And after the way she's been treated, I'd trust a service writer more than your salesman any day.

You're grasping at straws here. Way too many stars have to align for your suggestions to make any sense, like that during the span of one month and 1,500 miles (1,000 of which were on the road trip home) she could have worn the brakes down to 5%, broken interior buttons, removed the wheel and taken out the fender liner, etc. etc. That's an awful lot of unlikely stuff that would have to happen in order for you to be right, don't you think?

The reason that we offered to have the local Mercedes dealership inspect the car for her is because we had nothing to hide.
Gimme a break. The reason you offer inspections in your eBay auctions is because anyone who doesn't cooperate with them is throwing up a giant red-flag to potential buyers, and you have to meet the common expectation in the marketplace or your sales will suffer. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the condition of the car.

We're not rubes here, and I'm sure many of us have our own businesses of one type or another. We know how it works.

Why have there been no comments about this? This is plain and simple- people are sharing opinions and legal advice about a car that they have never seen from a financially troubled person with buyer's remorse.
The only remorse she had was over how she was treated! And I doubt you know enough about her financial situation to call her "financially troubled". Odds are, once she saw how much work the car needed, she just decided to move it along rather than try and deal with it at the same time she is going through several life-changes. The outcome would probably have been different had the car looked like it would be reliable long-term, though she is the only one who can answer that. Either way, "buyer's remorse" is lame, and seems to be the fall-back excuse when a car salesman catches any kind of grief from the customer.

I will (and have) admitted to my salesman's off-handed comment, but I am not going to ruin my integrity over a $30K car.
You already did ruin your integrity in this situation, by selling your 100% eBay feedback rating for a silly $140 set of floor mats, so it's kind of late for comments like that.

3) A pre-owned (used) car has been previously driven and this one was no different. In fact, it was three years old and had nearly 30,000 miles. All of the car's components will have been subject to wear and tear. This includes everything from the brake pads and rotors to the tires, engine, and transmission. This is why a $70,000 car costs $30,000 after three years. This does not mean that the car was a problem vehicle, or is a piece of junk, it simply means that it has been used. Any buyer that wants to save 50-60% off the original factory MSRP needs to look at this as a two-way street.
More B.S. If that's going to be your position, then you have no business selling cars retail, you should be wholesaling them. That's why there are "retail" and "wholesale" values. Picking up a car at an auction and moving it along in whatever condition you found it is wholesaling, not retailing.

A retail buyer expects certain things related to the condition of the car, and those expectations were grossly disappointed in this situation. If you are going to wholesale cars at retail prices, which is exactly what you are here saying you did in this case, then you shouldn't expect a happy customer. This ain't rocket science.

You should expect a used car to be safe
Exactly. Brakes at 5% aren't safe.

any buyer that expects a brand-new car with all brand new components should also expect to pay $70K instead of $30K.
More B.S. The car is worth whatever its market value is, and if she wanted to pay $70k, she'd be at the MB dealer buying a new one, not dealing with you at the first place. Just because she isn't paying new sticker for a preowned car doesn't mean she should automatically expect to wind up with a piece of crap! You're making an absurd bifurcation here, wherein you are arguing that there are only 2 reasonable options; either buy a new car, or be happy with a piece of junk if you buy one used. That's ridiculous, and not the way the business works, as you well know. The 3rd option, which you are falsely excluding, is that she should be able to buy a used car and still expect that it be in good condition. That is hardly unreasonable, especially when the seller has described it as "immaculate".

You just can't retail a car in the same condition it was in when it rolled off the hauler at the auction, and still expect a happy customer. Again, this is the difference between retail and wholesale. You provided an auction quality car at a retail price, and your employees treated her like crap in the process. She's rightly upset. Wouldn't you be?

This is the primary reason that we offer every single customer the opportunity to have their purchase inspected by someone other than us. We don't want you to take our word for it. It makes us look that much better if someone else tells you that we have delivered you a great car. I said it before, but we have nothing to hide. If we were selling junk, why would we want buyers to have the cars inspected?
Because, in the course of conducting business online, you came to understand (correctly) that if you don't offer to participate in independent inspections, then you'll drive off potential customers. You really don't have a choice in the matter, that's why you do it. None of this speaks to the quality of any particular car, it's just your corporate policy which I'd venture to guess is included in the auction description for every car you list online.

In summary, there are two sides to every story as people have pointed out. I'm sure that we both feel like things could have gone differently. However, before passing judgement on a car that you have never seen and offering up suggestions to sue someone whom you have never met, be careful not to jump on the bashing bandwagon. We do try to do things differently and hopefully someday we can prove it to you though our actions rather than our words. -FF
I'm not passing judgment on the car, I'm passing judgment on your customer service. Thus far, you sold her a mis-described car, you added insult to injury by sending a set of used floor mats off of the wrong vehicle, then when she was (not unpredictably) unhappy with the situation, you fought her tooth and nail through eBay, and come here to insinuate things about "buyer's remorse", her allegedly weak financial situation, how she must have tracked and abused the car, etc. etc. etc.

That's pretty weak.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
+1
Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 AM

2016 Ariel Atom 3S, 2016 BMW M4, 2008 Porsche 911T
At this point, I won't argue with allegations that are simply not true. We messed up on the mats and I owned up to it, but the car didn't leave our dealership with 5% brakes because we can't sell it that way. The liability costs are far more than any brake job and there is far more to lose than an upset customer.

I guess at this point we will now have to go so far as to "require" out-of-state clients to pay for third-party vehicle inspections and then have them sign off on them before they drive away. (And everyone wonders why the paperwork has gotten so thick and the legal disclaimers so numerous).

Just out of curiosity for my own market research, is a mandatory inspection something that you would be willing to participate in during a car purchase process, or do some of you think it is a waste of money? If it is not mandatory, where do you think it is fair for a dealer/private party seller to draw the line on our own exposure, especially when a client has visually inspected and driven the vehicle?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this idea..................