CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

May Purchase 04 CLK 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19 XC90
May Purchase 04 CLK 55

I am going to look at an 04 CLK 55 around my way with 54000 miles on it. I ran the carfax and there pretty much wasn't any service stuff listed after 5000 miles, does that mean they didn't have it regularly serviced at the dealership? I will most likely have a dealership check out the vehicle if I am interested in it once I see it in person. Anything specific I should check for while looking over the vehicle? Are there any serious problems the vehicle could have that I could identify via a test drive? I am just looking for some tips.

According to the carfax the vehicle has had 2 owners, the second owner only owning the vehicle 5 months. No accidents have been reported on carfax either. Really it only lists when the vehicle was registered and inspected. There is nothing listed in the whole year of 2005. A registration listing picks back up in late 2006. The last owner purchased the vehicle in late 2007.

Thank you.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:16 PM

CLK 55
i'd say check it out urself, and let the dealership or a mechanic u trust give u an overview of the vehicle...just because there arent records from the dealership doesnt mean the car wasnt kept up to par...dont let that push u away from a potential good buy for a car u want...
Old 08-01-2008, 03:19 PM

19 XC90
Yeah I'm going to check it out tomorrow. There's a Mercedes dealership pretty close, so if I am into the car, I will schedule an appointment to have them look at it. It's tough to find a decent AMG vehicle around my way. I might have to travel 100+ miles to find what I want.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would recommend looking at an 05, as the 05 got the dual muffler treatment, and 18" wheels.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
I would recommend looking at an 05, as the 05 got the dual muffler treatment, and 18" wheels.
05 got a nice NAV.system and a digital climate too...so good luck bro.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:43 PM

1996 C36 (Gone but not forgotten), 2004 CLK55, 2008 911 C2S
The two major possible problems with '04s:

- Car was manufactured prior to Oct. 2003, and has a Valeo radiator installed. The transmission fluid goes through the radiator to get cooled, and those radiators tend to leak anti-freeze into the transmission. If not caught, you need a new tranny.

- Recall on the alternator/regulator. Some CLKs got a voltage regulator/alternator that needed to be replaced. If the recall was performed or not needed should be in Mercedes records.

You can read about the radiator problems we had, including the technical service bulletin, in this thread:
http://www.amgpower.com/phpBB3/viewt...&sd=a&start=30
Old 08-01-2008, 04:29 PM

19 XC90
Great info. Thanks for the replies guys. I would definitely like an 05, but I can't find one in my area and I don't see myself buying one without checking it out first hand and test driving it.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by F14Tomcat
The two major possible problems with '04s:

- Car was manufactured prior to Oct. 2003, and has a Valeo radiator installed. The transmission fluid goes through the radiator to get cooled, and those radiators tend to leak anti-freeze into the transmission. If not caught, you need a new tranny.

- Recall on the alternator/regulator. Some CLKs got a voltage regulator/alternator that needed to be replaced. If the recall was performed or not needed should be in Mercedes records.

You can read about the radiator problems we had, including the technical service bulletin, in this thread:
http://www.amgpower.com/phpBB3/viewt...&sd=a&start=30
My 02 CLK55 has a Behr radiator. So I'm safe?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:48 PM

19 XC90
I checked out the 2004 CLK 55 today and here's the few things I was able to identify.

-Moisture in drivers side mirror blinker housing.
-Small 2 inch crack in front bumper (way at the bottom and can't even see it)
-The wheels were like faded in a weird way on a lot of the spokes, like almost a whiteish
-While braking it was kind of jittery, I wasn't sure if this was due to sitting for a week or more and the buildup on them (they were rusty a bit)
-one of the small buttons on the passenger seat was kinda broken, the button was still there but kinda split in half and floaty.
-Left side marker malfunction being thrown (bulb looks out, I had this in my c230 once and it was just the bulb.)

The other few things I found I kind of have questions about because I am not sure.

-Does the CLK 55 support the windows rolling up/down with the key from outside the vehicle? Because it would not do this. My c230 had this feature and I liked it.
-If you turn on the rear fog lights, do both tail lights light up more at the bottom? It seemed only the drivers side did.
-Does the teleaid malfunction always show if you aren't subscribed to it or is there really a problem with the tele aid if its showing a malfunction?
-Is there a manual trunk release? I put my hand up underneath just above the plate and it seemed like there would be a latch there, but it seemed jammed or something and we could only open the trunk with the key. Is this normal?

Does this seem like small stuff or should I avoid this car? I will definitely be taking it to another place to have it checked out before I purchase it, if I decide to go with this car, I am still looking. Car looks to be in pretty good shape though. It was manufactured in 01/04 so I think its safe as far as the radiator issue goes.

Thanks guys
Old 08-02-2008, 06:53 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
My 02 CLK55 has a Behr radiator. So I'm safe?
I thought this only applied to W209 not W208.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by DiBenz
I checked out the 2004 CLK 55 today and here's the few things I was able to identify.

-Moisture in drivers side mirror blinker housing.
-Small 2 inch crack in front bumper (way at the bottom and can't even see it)
-The wheels were like faded in a weird way on a lot of the spokes, like almost a whiteish
-While braking it was kind of jittery, I wasn't sure if this was due to sitting for a week or more and the buildup on them (they were rusty a bit)
-one of the small buttons on the passenger seat was kinda broken, the button was still there but kinda split in half and floaty.
-Left side marker malfunction being thrown (bulb looks out, I had this in my c230 once and it was just the bulb.)

The other few things I found I kind of have questions about because I am not sure.

-Does the CLK 55 support the windows rolling up/down with the key from outside the vehicle? Because it would not do this. My c230 had this feature and I liked it.
-If you turn on the rear fog lights, do both tail lights light up more at the bottom? It seemed only the drivers side did.
-Does the teleaid malfunction always show if you aren't subscribed to it or is there really a problem with the tele aid if its showing a malfunction?
-Is there a manual trunk release? I put my hand up underneath just above the plate and it seemed like there would be a latch there, but it seemed jammed or something and we could only open the trunk with the key. Is this normal?

Does this seem like small stuff or should I avoid this car? I will definitely be taking it to another place to have it checked out before I purchase it, if I decide to go with this car, I am still looking. Car looks to be in pretty good shape though. It was manufactured in 01/04 so I think its safe as far as the radiator issue goes.

Thanks guys
Yes, you can put the window up and down with the key but you have to point the key at the door handle and hold either the lock (to close) or unlock (to open) buttons.

Only one rear foglight comes on....the drivers side. No need for two rear foglights. No Benz has two rear foglights.

I can't figure out that Teleaid malfunction either. My car doesn't do that but my mom's 2003 E320 does. Dealership says the whole unit will need to be replaced. Get them to fix that for you before purchasing it.

Yes there is a manual trunk release. It is above the license plate. It should not be stuck. Play with it until it comes un-stuck. Get that fixed as well.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:59 PM

19 XC90
Yeah I was pointing the key directly at the door handle, tried a little ways away and then like 2 inches from it. I really want to buy a car that is all there. With the amount of things I noticed on this 55, I think I am just going to look for a pristine CLK 500 (as there aren't any other 55 AMG's around my way for sale). Can anyone tell me what I would be losing if I went with a regular CLK 500 over the AMG? Thank you for the replys.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
Can anyone tell me what I would be losing if I went with a regular CLK 500 over the AMG?
60 hp
Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Yeah I was pointing the key directly at the door handle, tried a little ways away and then like 2 inches from it. I really want to buy a car that is all there. With the amount of things I noticed on this 55, I think I am just going to look for a pristine CLK 500 (as there aren't any other 55 AMG's around my way for sale). Can anyone tell me what I would be losing if I went with a regular CLK 500 over the AMG? Thank you for the replys.
20% Less HP. Non-AMG tuned suspension and AMG tuned transmission. Non-built-by-1-man AMG engine. Non-AMG leather and AMG gauges.

Other than that, not much. Sorry to hear about the difficulties finding an AMg that meets your specs in your area.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
///

Maybe you should just buy my Car.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 PM

2005 CLK55 AMG CABRIOLET
i was looking at both 04 / 05 models. i chose the the 05 for 2 reasons, 18" wheels and DVD nav system.

i bought a CPO thinking i was backed up by the dealer in case of probelms. boy was i wrong.

car was in an accident (not on carfax). repaint is peeling and selling dealer and mercedes corporate won't do anything about it.

accident also damaged passenger tire (selling dealer did replace), damaged wheel hub $350, damaged wheel well liner. dealer and MB won't fix either of those.

now i have to hire an attorney to fix this mess. this will likely be my last MB because of the way i have been treated.

i bought the car at an MB dealer about 3 hours away, so i get it serviced locally. the service there has been poor also.

frankly my subaru and honda have been more reliable with fewer problems and better dealer service.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Yeah I was pointing the key directly at the door handle, tried a little ways away and then like 2 inches from it. I really want to buy a car that is all there. .
If the key is not working then you may have to fix it in the settings through the steering wheel buttons. If that doesn't work then the dealership can plug the car into the computer and set it for you.

Don't settle for the 500.......keep looking for a 55. Good things take time. Have patience and the right one will find you.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Stiggs
If the key is not working then you may have to fix it in the settings through the steering wheel buttons. If that doesn't work then the dealership can plug the car into the computer and set it for you.

Don't settle for the 500.......keep looking for a 55. Good things take time. Have patience and the right one will find you.
The CLK55 is very choice and worth searching for.

My '04 has been reliable os far. I upgraded to the 18" AMG Style IV rims with Michelin PS2s, and never cared for the quadruple exhaust.

I test drove the CL63 AMG, and didn't feel that the extra performance was worth another $100,000 than I paid for my CLK55.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by GiZzO
I thought this only applied to W209 not W208.
Correct. And some W203 and W211.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 PM

And regarding TeleAid. We didn't have the "rip-off, one-time fee of $1700, no more upgrades/charges needed ever" upgrade done to convert TeleAid from analog to digital. And only ONCE did that TeleAid message show up as a malfunction, but when I started the car again later that same day, it disappeared. From the sounds of it, the car you are looking at didn't get the upgrade done either. To activate and use TeleAid, the upgrade is required.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 PM

And I've posted this before, but I'll post it again. If you have ever paid for a Carfax subscription, did you read the fine print? Carfax does not actively gather information on vehicles themselves, outside of maybe some DMV title searches. They rely on police, fire departments, insurance companies, etc to give them the information about accidents, theft, etc. And how many insurance companies and police departments do you think take the time to report incidents to Carfax? The advertisements make you think that having a clean Carfax report is a must when buying a car. Carfax reports don't mean diddly squat.