CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Parking/Emergency brake issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
Parking/Emergency brake issue

Ok so i have been hearing a slight rattle coming from my drivers side rear for the last couple of days. But after a thorough visual inspection of the suspension, brakes, wheel, etc. nothing is loose!

So i jump in the car yesterday for a dentist appointment and i hear the most horribly grinding/squeeling noise ever. i pull over and check it out and again nothing. i go to the dentist and drive back to the office and it is horrible. it must be the right rear brake pads right? Nope I have over 50% of the pad left!

I have a really good friend, this guy can work on anything, take a look at it. At first he sees nothing too. We initially think the brake dust shield is loose and rubbing against the hub. nope it is super tight. so finally he takes off the rear brake disk so we can inspect the parking/emergency brake. when we turn the rear disk it sounds like it is coming from inside the hub. So it is not the dust shield rubbing against the disk or drum, it is not a wheel bearing.

Somehow the retainer spring that holds the parking/emergency brake assembly together came off. there is a self adjusting mechanism in there that keeps the assembly at the proper pressure level when putting the car in park or using the emergency brake. Anyway over time the assembly loosened and eventually started rubbing on the inside of the brake disk hub. the noise was absolutely awful. like a locomotive coming to a stop.

We reattached the spring in the proper location, reassembled the brake system. No noise and as good as new. A $20 dinner and the help of a great friend probably saved me $300. that is assuming the MB guys would have been able to figure it out.

probably a once in a lifetime occurence but if it happens to you, now you know what to do.

Last edited by AMGOODNESS; 08-13-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:02 PM
wal
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG-feet
great info. Thanks for sharing this with us
Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
dude seriously it was a little crazy. it scared the hell out of me. the idea is to prevent something like this from happening to one of you. i am sure the dealer would have charged me to death.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 300 SE
Wow!
Thanks for this info, I just got a back brake job done today and they didnt find the source of this same sound from my driver's rear wheel. exactly like you describe.
Im going back this Friday with this info, we'll all look at the parking brake assembly them,
Thanks again!