CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Neilbo deflowers the AMG Lodge!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Neilbo deflowers the AMG Lodge!

First, for those of you waiting for me to finish up my Nurburgring post, apologies. The press of work and family time has kept me away from my favorite forum. What a shame - the AMG Driving Academy "Pro Training" happened back in September, and here it's January already.

Hell, I haven't even finished Day One and there were two glorious track days...

.... But Hell has definitely frozen over. I write this from Room No. 1 of the AMG Lodge ... on the very first night the Lodge has been open for business!

Move over, Private Lounge. This ain't cyber-space. It's a real hotel with forty rooms -- just for AMG. In Arjeplog, Sweden. Me and a few dozen others are here for the kick-off event of this year's season of Driving Academy winter training. Details about winter training are on the AMG site. Basically it's a crash course (pun intended) on how to drive without good traction.

This afternoon, shortly after the sun set (at 3:00 pm) on the frozen surface of a lake, driving new C63s with studded snow tires but with ESP turned off completely, our "red group" (ten people sharing five cars) got its first lesson in the fine art of drifting - from none other than .... (drumroll) .... Bernd Maylander! For those of you who don't know, Bernd drives the safety car at F1 races. In fact, he drove the 208 CLK 55 AMG F1 Safety Car back in '99.

After the lesson, it was back to the lodge for an aperitif in a real igloo, followed by a delicious dinner featuring roasted reindeer. Neilbo's lucky streak continued, as I shared a table with Bernd, a reporter from FMH magazine and a pretty young woman form AMG's press department.

Now that's an AMG experience. More to follow!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I posted a thread and a video from the event in September https://mbworld.org/forums/general-m...ideo-ring.html :
Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Fantastic! Say hello to Bernd....I shared dinner with him at the CL sneak peek in Barcelona. I'm SURE he remembers me lol....

208s rule!! :-)
Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Will do. But he can barely remember the 208. Race drivers live in the moment. He has told of some cool things having to do with the current F1 Safety Car (an SL 63), like that they run it on super grip race tires that wear out in just 100 km.

As you know, he has to drive the Safety Car hard when he's on the track. But it's worth it - he's the fatest driver in Forumula 1 history. No one has ever passed him.

Last edited by neilbo75; 01-17-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by neilbo75
As you know, he has to drive the Safety Car hard when he's on the track. But it's worth it - he's the fatest driver in Forumula 1 history. No one has ever passed him.